unwanted planet dilemma

By Smeehee, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

so far we know that battle happens at the 1st planet and any planet with a warlord and that whoever wins the battle at the first planet conquers that planet

but what happens if after the command struggle there are no units on the first planet to fight

is the planet just left on the board to be fought over next turn or is it removed but just goes to neither player?

I would guess that it gets removed and goes to neither player... but we'll have to wait to see the rules to know for sure how that works.

i was leaning that way as if it just stayed there it may happen again next turn

The command struggle has no impact on the units left/available for combat at a planet. I don't understand the question.

I think he's just saying that it is possible to have 0 units at the first planet when combat starts, so what would you do? From the first article, there didn't seem to be much difference between "combat starts" and "command struggle ends."

Any way, we have no way of knowing yet whether or not it's possible to move units around during the command struggle.

Edited by ktom

yes my question was what if there were no units there to win the 1st planet.

at the moment the only unit with a special ability that is used during command is the soul grinder

I took it that you deal out 7 planet cards, the last two being face down. Could it be that after battle is fought on the first planet, that planet's fate is decided and the next planet in the row becomes the new "first" planet, thereby causing the sixth planet (first face down) to be flipped up and be ready for forces to occupy and fight over? Since victory is based on achieving three of one type of the resources(??) by the time you work your way through your forces and down the row of planets, victory should be decided before you run out of planets.

Yes, No, Maybe?

E

we are discussing what happens if there are no units on that first planet to fight over it

there are 4 possible scenarios for deciding who wins the first planet

1.player 1 has units on the planet player 2 has nothing - player 1 wins planet

2.player 1 has nothing player 2 has units on the planet - player 2 wins planet

3.both player 1 and 2 have units on the planet and fight - planet goes to winner of fight

4.neither player 1 nor player 2 have any units on the planet - ?????????????

we are discussing what happens if there are no units on that first planet to fight over it

3.both player 1 and 2 have units on the planet and fight - planet goes to winner of fight

Given how units are played, I would not at all be surprised if the 4th scenario is moot in a vast majority of cases, since If I place last I would gladly play a guy there just to auto-win. The question still needs to be addressed (maybe it goes to the end of the line?), but I imagine this problem will likely not be that big of an issue.

Given how units are played, I would not at all be surprised if the 4th scenario is moot in a vast majority of cases, since If I place last I would gladly play a guy there just to auto-win. The question still needs to be addressed (maybe it goes to the end of the line?), but I imagine this problem will likely not be that big of an issue.

I disagree given that the win condition is 3 planets with the same symbol it is conceivable then neither player wants the planet.

as to the deployment rule. unless your opponent uses all of their resources you don't know if they will place another unit or not.Even if they pass and cant deploy any more units they could still send their warlord to the first planet and kill any units you deploy there

I can easily imagine a game where whoever gets the second planet wins the game so neither players sends anything to capture the 1st planet instead concentrating killing enemy forces at the 2nd planet.

it is also possible for the 2nd player to have no units or at least no small units not needed elsewhere.

for example if you are short on resources and you can chose to capture the 1st planet, get 2 cards and a useless battle ability (like card draw in this example) or will you send your last resource on winning the command struggle to and getting 2 resources and help at the battle on that planet?

My guess is if nobody has units at the first planet at the end of the battle phase, the planet goes to the player with the initiative token.

Though I think it's possible that the planet goes to the player with initiative, I don't think its likely.

I would bet that if that case arises, the planet remains in conflict and the next round sees renewed fighting over it until someone actually wins it. But I might be wrong.

E

The planet stays where it is untill captured. The game forces you to clash with your opponent over the first planet or give it up to him. The way they describe it, is that the first planet is the 'current' battle, whereas deploying to other planets is just to prepare for the inevitable moment of that planet becoming the new first planet. Sending your warlord to them early triggers a clash, but it's more like a skirmish on the planet rather than the pitched-battle to claim the first planet.

The planet stays where it is untill captured.

You sound awfully confident, but are you sure about that? What is your source?

The game forces you to clash with your opponent over the first planet or give it up to him.

Right, but what if neither player makes a play for it? They both give it up to each other at the same time?

There are at least 4 possibilities for what happens to the First Planet if there are no units on either side of the fight:

1. It stays there until someone DOES fight for it.

2. It goes to one player or the other based on some rules-defined tiebreaker.

3. It is moved to the end of the line to be fought over again later.

4. It is forfeited/discarded and no player may capture it (with variations for being replaced or not).

I could make solid arguments for ALL of those possibilities being the "most logical." So until we see the rules, I doubt this question can be answered decisively. (And I doubt it will be ambiguous when we do see the rules.)

Now that Rules are out I can answer this finally. First planet goes away if no one captures it.

Now that Rules are out I can answer this finally. First planet goes away if no one captures it.

Wait, all I see is that planet 2 becomes the next "first" planet. So it just goes away? so no matter what happens the game last 7 turns MAX? Also what if something happens to make the battle end in a satlemate? What happens to the units

Edited by catowar

Wait, all I see is that planet 2 becomes the next "first" planet. So it just goes away? so no matter what happens the game last 7 turns MAX? Also what if something happens to make the battle end in a satlemate? What happens to the units

Yes if no one successfully wins the battle or the planet is uncontested it just goes out of the game.

yes the game lasts 7 turns maximum.

"When a battle ends in a stalemate, any warlords at that

planet return to their HQ, exhausted. If the stalemate
occured at the first planet, the planet is removed from
the game and each non-warlord unit at the planet is
also returned to its controller’s HQ, exhausted. If
the stalemate occured at a non-first planet, the planet
remains in play and all non-warlord units remain at the
planet, exhausted."
RRG Page 27
Edited by Toqtamish

Yes if no one successfully wins the battle or the planet is uncontested it just goes out of the game.

yes the game lasts 7 turns maximum.

"When a battle ends in a stalemate, any warlords at that

planet return to their HQ, exhausted. If the stalemate
occured at the first planet, the planet is removed from
the game and each non-warlord unit at the planet is
also returned to its controller’s HQ, exhausted. If
the stalemate occured at a non-first planet, the planet
remains in play and all non-warlord units remain at the
planet, exhausted."
RRG Page 27

AH ok cool the rest of the rules I think I got, last question I guess would be what happens if the game ends and no one has the needed 3 worlds? draw?

Person who last captured a planet.

last question I guess would be what happens if the game ends and no one has the needed 3 worlds? draw?

"If the battle for the last planet resolves with neither

player winning the game by one of the above conditions,

the player who most recently added a planet to his

victory display wins the game. (This is usually the

player who won the final planet.) If neither player has

added a planet to his victory display in the entire game,

the game ends in a tie."

RRG Page 16 ("Winning the Game")

Doubled.

Edited by Toqtamish