troops deploying from headquarters

By Smeehee, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

the description page states that any units in your headquarters deploy with your warlord but I was wondering if assuming you win the battle and you are not on the left most planet do those troops return to headquarters with your warlord or do they stay on the planet?

Anyone who can answer these rules questions are under NDA. At least until the rules are formally released anyway.

i wasn't looking for a definitive ruling so much as something in the released material I missed or just speculation

Edited by smeehee

I thought on the main page it said:

"If you devote yourself too much to the first planet, your opponent will build his armies on other planets. If you focus on every planet equally, however, your opponent's focused armies may defeat you, claiming the first planet every round."

Since it says that the opponent can "build" armies on other planets, I'm assuming that each round the units on other planets stay there, unless killed by your opponent. The units can come back to headquarters however if you "retreat" them, so I'm not fully sure.

Now my question is, cuz it wasn't explained, what is the "Headquarters?" I mean, is it the cards in your hand? Is it some "zone" on the playable area? And are the cards faced-up in headquarters? (I assume so they would because in description it says when the warlord goes to a planet, the army that's in the headquarters follows him to that planet).

From everything that has been posted, I simply took "Headquarters" to mean "cards in play that are not committed to any particular planet."

"Headquarters" can't be another name for "hand," right? I mean, do you really believe that when you send your warlord to a planet that all of the characters in your hand go with it (since units in your "headquarters" are committed along with your warlord)?

From everything that has been posted, I simply took "Headquarters" to mean "cards in play that are not committed to any particular planet."

"Headquarters" can't be another name for "hand," right? I mean, do you really believe that when you send your warlord to a planet that all of the characters in your hand go with it (since units in your "headquarters" are committed along with your warlord)?

Yeah, I believe HQ is the area of the table in front of each player that is NOT a particular planet. As KTOM says, it can't be your hand. Also, haven't we seen a card that refers to your "hand" by that term? I believe it was a Dark Eldar card...

Yeah, seems like it can't be the cards in your hand because you have to pay the cost to play each unit or support, so it would contradict with the whole idea of resources to pay for cards to play them from your hand. Thanks!

Will be good to see the pdf instructions once they post it online.

And QED -- the Pact of the Haemonculi card from the Dark Eldar preview on 7/18 says to sacrifice a unit to discard a card from your opponent's hand (at random, no less!) and draw 2 cards. So, clearly the HQ is something different than the "hand" in this game. Come on, FFG, post the rulebook already! LOL!

Edited by Darik

My best guess: the HQ is a unique card, like the warlord, that is not part of the actual deck. It will be faction specific, but not tied to warlords in the way that their signature squads are. I have, admittedly, not played any of FFG's other cards games, and base this guess upon similarities to an older game called 7th Sea.

HQ is not a card. It is just space on the table in front of each player.

Link?

The only thing I found was this:

"After a battle ends at any planet, the victor has the opportunity to trigger that planet’s Battle ability, which offers a powerful bonus. The planet Atrox Prime, for example, possesses a Battle ability that reads, “Deal 1 damage to each enemy unit at a target HQ or adjacent planet,” granting you a potent strike against the heart of your opponent’s strength. "

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4858

Since nobody starts with planets, there has to be a place for troop gathering and these troops will move along with a warlord to a planet. That place is most likely the HQ.

So the cards at the HQ is a location where (at very least) units are gathered (based on the quoted text), that are not on any planet and are shown face up presumably.

Edited by Gridash

The only thing I found was this:

"After a battle ends at any planet, the victor has the opportunity to trigger that planet’s Battle ability, which offers a powerful bonus. The planet Atrox Prime, for example, possesses a Battle ability that reads, “Deal 1 damage to each enemy unit at a target HQ or adjacent planet,” granting you a potent strike against the heart of your opponent’s strength. "

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4858

Since nobody starts with planets, there has to be a place for troop gathering and these troops will move along with a warlord to a planet. That place is most likely the HQ.

So the cards at the HQ is a location where (at very least) units are gathered (based on the quoted text), that are not on any planet and are shown face up presumably.

And since the planets are a physical location (i.e. cards), wouldn't it stand to that the HQ is as well? This is still just a guess, obviously.

And since the planets are a physical location (i.e. cards), wouldn't it stand to that the HQ is as well? This is still just a guess, obviously.

I agree it stands to reason the HQ is a physical location, but I'm not sold that it is a physical location marked by a card. I mean, it could be a card, but I think we would have seen a preview picture of it by now, don't you?

That's entirely possible, and a good question to raise. I would have thought so myself, yes. But there's a considerable amount of the game yet to be revealed; not only have relatively few cards been spoiled, but we know very little about the game rules themselves. Take this one particular topic as a good example. The HQ appears to be a very important aspect of the game, and yet we can't even answer the easiest of questions about it with any degree of certainty. We're still several months away from the game's release, I'd like to think FFG is keeping something reserved in the spoiler bin to keep us enticed beyond "here's another warlord and his signature squad."

Like I said, it's just a guess. It may not prove to be a very good guess, but there isn't much else we can definitively say until FFG speaks up on the matter.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

So you can put the previews and cards in their proper context, HQ is just your personal play area on the table in front of you. Sorry, but there's nothing extra or special about it.

So you can put the previews and cards in their proper context, HQ is just your personal play area on the table in front of you. Sorry, but there's nothing extra or special about it.

Link?

Right, it also doesn't mention warlords, signature squads, or break down the other remaining "two-hundred player cards" by type either.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

posted 1 month ago in "card count" topic :

from Edge Entertainment, the europe editor for FFG :

Contenu :
7 cartes seigneur de guerre, 129 cartes unité, 40 cartes d’événement, 25 cartes de soutien, 21 cartes d’attachement, 10 cartes planète, 2 cartes de référence, 40 cartes jeton, 2 cadrans de commandement, 30 jetons de dégâts, 30 jetons de ressource, 1 jeton d’initiative, 1 jeton de première planète, 1 Guide d’apprentissage, 1 Livret de référence.

So for those of you who don't speak french (even if it must be pretty obvious) :

7 Warlord cards, 129 unit cards, 40 event cards, 25 support cards, 21 attachment cards, 10 planet cards, 2 reference cards (?), 40 token cards, 2 servo skull command dials, 30 damage tokens, 30 resource tokens, 1 initiative token, 1 first planet token, 1 learning guide (i guess just a few "quick start" pages), 1 "reference book" (i assume rules book)

No HQ.

Makes sense, and planets have a card because they're randomized in games. The HQ is always there, no random factor = no need to create a separate card for it.

Unless the HQ has a discreet function in the game, which clearly none of us (again) can say with any degree of certainty. The point appears to be moot, however.

I could certainly see HQ "upgrade" cards in the future, something that provided a passive effect, or a start of turn trigger.

They're the support cards - they are in the HQ area and can upgrade/support most anything depending on their effect.

I just want the rule book to come out now