Dying psyker => deamon?

By Wurstbrotjoe, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Greetings,

the psyker in my group is about to die (shot in the leg from another member of the group). Well in his last moments he tries to call out to the warp for help.

What options can I give him? I already checked if a pact could work but he doesn't have time for that. And now I am looking for a daemonhosts. =/

Can someone give me a clue? Kind of new to PnP and Dark Heresy =)

Thanks, and sorry for the bad english =)

EDIT: The guy who shot the psyker wears a flask with the blood from a daemon. The one daemon at the end of the adventure Illumination The Skae-Thing. So I might use that.

Edited by Wurstbrotjoe

I would assume a daemon would have the ability to manipulate time for the pact to be finalised, especially if it's a Tzeentchian daemon. Just make sure when and if it happens to portray it as such (time has frozen etc) and also keep in mind that the daemon has something the Psyker NEEDS. This is of greater significance than a regular pact, as normally it is something that the person wants, rather than the daemon holding the Psyker's continued existance to ransom.

I would also give the Daemon Vessel Elite Advance from Radical's Handbook a look, since it fits the situation wonderfully. Psyker is dying, so in exchange for saving the psyker, the daemon takes residence within the Psyker's body. Not a daemonhost, as the Psyker's mind would remain, so the daemon could do their mischief more subtley (which would also fit a Tzeentchian or Slaaneshi daemon quite well)

Time is fluid in the Warp. Also, the passing of time is subjective.

I wouldn't give some random daemon the ability to manipulate time in the real world (if they could, fighting them would be almost impossible), but you could have the pact be finalised in a sort of "dream sequence" solely within the psyker's mind - or, better yet, let the character "disappear" into the Warp for what seems like a split-second in the real world, but can be minutes as perceived by the psyker. There he and his new friend can have a little chat to discuss the details.

01XJY.jpg

Or simply circumvent the need for a full pact as per the RAW. You're the GM, that means you have the power. Judging from the Index Astartes, Magnus didn't conduct some arcane ritual either, he simply "roared a plea for help" - and Tzeentch answered.

Maybe psykers just have an easier time attracting the attention of the forces of the Warp, given how they are already attuned to them. Maybe everyone else needs extensive rituals to call the attention of a daemon towards them, whereas psykers already have it, with said entity only waiting for a moment of weakness to strike.

Edited by Lynata

Just had a read thrue the deamon vessel elite advances. The problem is he only has 2 corruption points. =/

Well, a dark pact would certainly be worth a few CP (more then 10, depending on the nature of the pact)... and, frankly, I think a Dark Pact with our favorite lord of flies would likely safe him without the need to become a daemon vessel (unless you want him to be one, which is fair enough :D )

Might do it like this: He gets killed BUT the lord of the flys offers him to ressurect him. He already came in contact with nurgle before on a mission.

So he dies and gets a deal of ressurection from Nurgle. But he has to free a woman who is the Subject Zero from a Fydae strain zombie plague. And bring her to a hive. They have captured her for the herresy of Ateanism. And the best thing is the accolytes dont know she is subject zero.

To the ressurection part. I could use the tech priester as cover so the other accolytes don't know about it. And the bring the psyker back with some alterations and charistic losses.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Wurstbrotjoe

But the thing is I just did a Zombie adventure with the group and anotherone kind of sucks =/

Might put some missions in between =/

Edited by Wurstbrotjoe

Why do you not "just" allow him to burn a fate point to save his life? It would be so much more simple if he did that, saw an saint of something laying his hands on his leg and thus stopped the bleeding.

Unless he is radical, don´t have any fatepoints left or something third that makes things complicated can I really not see the need to.

But as others have said, don´t think so much about the rules for a demon pact in the book, if a demon wants to do something quick and can earn something from it, then bend the rules and do it. You are the GM, you are their god, time is not a bond for one of your kind.

But if you want to do it a bit differently would I just heal his leg, making it fine and dandy without any discussion of price, not even showing which kind of demon that healed him. This would freak him out since he dosn´t know how strong or weak the demon is, and he does not know yet the price for his healing. I do know that demons normally work the other way around, but with a cry of help like that could be taken as an agreement for any price that a demon would want, therefore removing the need for a long discussion about price and benefit.

I like doomande's suggestion a lot. Especially since one should think that a sanctioned psyker with next to no corruption points would NOT cry out to a demon for help, but the Immortal Emperor, the one being that allowed him to continue existence, the pillar of his faith ect. - after all, isn't that what all the pain and suffering on Terra is about?

And keep in mind that if his teammates are as far from corrupted as your psyker is, they might very well suspect what's going on and settle on executing him as a precaution if some strange warp things happen around him. To be silent of the implications for your campaign when one of the protagonists carries a demon around under his very skin...

Since he DID call upon the warp for help, for whatever reason, yes, I'd have a demon answer his plea, but in the guise of something pure and chaste, so any witnesses report nothing short of a divine miracle that saved the Emperor's subject. But your psyker knows, oh he knows, what dark things he said staring at the face of death, and he might wonder about those strange dreams that have seized hold of him lately, about the sickness when praying, about the nagging desires to change things as they are...
Plenty of opportunity for roleplaying here.

I like doomande's suggestion a lot. Especially since one should think that a sanctioned psyker with next to no corruption points would NOT cry out to a demon for help

Yeah, it sounds a little as if the player might be breaking with the character's own personality - but on the other hand, it could simply be one of the slight weaknesses of the Corruption mechanic (-> starter CP based solely on mechanical background). If the player imagined his character to be a bit on the shady side from the start, it's just not something that is well supported by the system. There are limits to how far you can your own ideas influence the numbers on the sheet, even if your background makes perfect sense content-wise.

after all, isn't that what all the pain and suffering on Terra is about?

Obligatory quote:

"It is our creed that the purpose of life is to suffer, for in this way we become one with the Emperor's eternal suffering. Have you not heard that those who suffer are blessed?"

:D

Hehe, okay Lyn. I guess my group is playing a rather softened grimdark, I could not motivate them to get off their backsides and fight for a world where suffering is the apex of existence ^^
But of course, what you're saying makes perfect sense, he could be a bit on the shady side from the start. I'm under the impression most players of psykers tend to be fascinated by the prospect of demonic power. Which brings Wurstbrotjoe back to the start - to hell with his corruption points, let him have his dark pact if he thinks he can cope with it (muhaha!).

Yeah will do the dark pact with nurgle and if the group metagame and kills him or other reasons. He becomes unbound daemonhost;D because nurgle does not like to loose things =)

because nurgle does not like to loose things =)

Somehow, the first thing that sprang to mind upon reading this was "what about leprosy". :P