Command Cards

By Brother Horus, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Okay I am yet to play my first game and I know how many command cards my army chooses, based on the Hero(s) command value normally 2. But who chooses which cards to put in his Command hand first? What happens if you both want the same cards? Maybe I have not read the rule properly but I cannot see how you choose your command cards?

Sorry if this a dumb question.

Edited by Brother Horus

The rules don't mention this situation. The assumption seems to be that you either use the prebuilt regiments, which don't have duplicate command cards, or that each player has their own copy of the game and so have their own command cards.

if you have game sleeves I recommend that you proxy the command cards that you need multiple copies of. Just let everyone use the card they want and so doesn't hamper the strategy of the game.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

Thanks for the reply.

I play my first game tomorrow night and I just know my opponent will want the same cards as me and it does not mention the need for 2 starter sets anywhere for the command cards.

Glad to help!

Many times you don't need the two cores, there are enough good command cards that are faction/alignment specific that you can play a lot of good games without the overlap. However, there are some cards like Eager Troops that fit into many army builds. For situations like that, I really feel like using a proxy is the best way to go, just slip another card and a slip of paper with all of the stats from the needed card into a sleeve and play as normal.

This way, no one can say that they just didn't get the strategy they really needed to make their army work.

One thing I will say though, if you really like this game and get deeply into it, a second core set is really a great investment. Not only will you be able to get rid of the proxy cards (except possibly for 3 and 4 player matches), but you will be able to play mirror matches if both of you should want to play the same army. Also, it really opens up some interesting army builds, including the dreaded double Blood Thirster build. ;) Not to mention a lot of other benefits. This is one of the few games that I really felt like buying the second core left me with almost no wasted parts.

I hope you guys enjoy the game. It has quickly become one of my favorites. If you find yourself with a lot of questions, BGG has some good threads, but I think you can't beat Sniper Toll's blog on the game. It covers a lot of basic game concepts in great detail.

Dumb question, but can you have more one copy of ie: devious cards in your hand or do you need one of each?

You can have whatever strategies you want in your hand. I frequently drop a slow card to add something that I think is more useful. But that is mainly because I play an aggressive orc build. There is no place in the Whaaag! for those who don't want to get stuck in!