Shooting into engagement.

By crazyjohnsmith, in Warhammer: Diskwars

My assumption is that this is allowed - unit is shooting into melee in which it is not involved.

If the shot scatters it will get resolved against closest disk which is either 'pinning' or 'pinned'. Now lets assume the scatter hits and kills the disk (in this case that would be your own unit!) - does anyone get VP for that disk?

Your assumption is correct. A ranged disk can fire into a scrum. In fact, if it is the top disk it can fire at the disk it is pinning as well.

As for the VP. If your opponent has the objective that gives VP based on the total number of disks in your casualty pile at the end of the game, then yes, he would receive a VP for the disk you killed with friendly fire.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

As for the VP. If your opponent has the objective that gives VP based on the total number of disks in your casualty pile at the end of the game, then yes, he would receive a VP for the disk you killed with friendly fire.

Keep in mind that you have the pile consisting of your own casualties in your Play area. These casualties count for all enemies who get VP for enemy casualties. So you might help all others when scattering a rain of arrows on your brave little infantry. Or if you use that imperial cannon that destroys itself. Used it in one game: no hit but destroyed in less than no time of its own making :angry:

A further question, if I may.

When firing, must the attack always happen against the topmost disk in the Engagement? For an instance, if in a three player game I'd want to shoot the disk being Pinned instead of the Pinning disk, would that be possible or must the target always be the Pinning disk?

Additionally, if firing into a Scrum, if I am able to fire at a disk in the middle of the Scrum and I roll a Scatter, to whom does it Scatter if there are multiple enemies from different players within the same distance of the original target, i.e. all Pinning or being Pinned by the target disk.

You can fire at any disk you want, as long as it is within range. No matter if it is pinned or pinning.

As for your second question. The rule reads like this:

• A disk overlapped by or overlapping the target disk is eligible for
scatter. The closest disk is always a disk engaged with the target disk.
If more than one disk is engaged with the target, the closest disk is the
one that is most overlapped by or overlapping the target.
This should take care of 99.9% of your issues, because of the way the disks move, there will almost always be a disk that is more overlapping/overlapped than the others. I don't see anything in the faq or rules that would help if all the disks were covering about the same amount of area.