Tinkerer Talent - official response from Mr Sam Stewart

By lupex, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Q. There has been some debate about the tinkerer talent (pg 143 core rulebook), can you add a HP to items that currently have 0 HPs or only to items that have 1 or more HPs?

A. Yes, generally you can add HP to items that currently have 0 HP. As always, of course, the GM can say no to something really silly (such as adding a HP to a stick being used as an Improvised Weapon, or maybe adding HPs to most grenades, for example).

It's really great that these guys take time from thier busy schedule to answer us directly.

It is.

So much for my laser guided sharp stick plans...

Neat! Thanks for asking that. :)

So much for my laser guided sharp stick plans...

I had a revolutionary-minded labour droid character in Saga who refused to use anything other than his trusty spanner in combat. He was awesome. I think my party rebuilt me about thirty-six times.

So much for my logical thinking :) The new release of my character generator now supports tinkering a 0 HP item.

I hadn't really even thought of this as a question and now I don't have to. My question about Tinkerer is more about is it just for the player or can they mod others gear with an extra HP. I know from experience the devs tend to interpret rules very literally and Tinkerer doesn't strictly rule it out so I allow it.

Edited by 2P51

I hadn't really even thought of this as a question and now I don't have to. My question about Tinkerer is more about is it just for the player or can they mod others gear with an extra HP. I know from experience the tends interpret rules very literally and Tinkerer doesn't strictly rule it out so I allow it.

You can mod others peoples gear with it. Or at least that is what makes sense to me. If someone works and my gear and improves it. It is not suddenly not improved when they walk away.

The only limitation is that you can only have one Tinkered item per rank. There's nothing that says you can't give your tinkered item to someone else. If the item is destroyed, sold, made useless, or in general is no longer available for use, then you can tinker something else.

The only limitation is that you can only have one Tinkered item per rank. There's nothing that says you can't give your tinkered item to someone else. If the item is destroyed, sold, made useless, or in general is no longer available for use, then you can tinker something else.

For me, the Tinkerer has to keep fiddling with the tinkered devices from time to time to keep them up and running. So, the Tinkerer can have extra devices given to other party members that stay with him, up to his rank, but if the item goes elsewhere the bonus will eventually degrade away without the Tinkerer around to keep fiddling with it.

For me, the Tinkerer has to keep fiddling with the tinkered devices from time to time to keep them up and running. So, the Tinkerer can have extra devices given to other party members that stay with him, up to his rank, but if the item goes elsewhere the bonus will eventually degrade away without the Tinkerer around to keep fiddling with it.

That's a perfect narrative description of the Tinkerer talent. Excellent :) In fact, if one of my players gets it and tries to abuse it, that's the description I'll use.

I tend to think of Tinkerer it the same way I modify my car, for me "I know" what's in it, what it does and how tuned a component is in relation to the rest of the modifications to the engine, suspension, ECU or the turbos. If I took it into a regular car mechanic working for a franchise or dealership, they'd hook it up to their machine for diagnostics and claim it was broken...

I can even tell them what it is, what it does, but it doesn't actually mean they'd be able to work on it, with the anti-hijack kill switches, imobiliser and so forth, they can't even start it.

Edited by MKX

I agree it is a good way of looking at it. My only question is whether this was RAI for Tinkerer, given that Jury Rigged clearly states it is a personal piece of equipment for the player only. This description Sturn gives for Tinkerer would be just as appropriate for Jury Rigged I think but for the clear RAW.