What does people think about the new cover?

By doomande, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

So having found a picture of the new cover today, yes I am slow like that, must I say that I am rather disappointed over how the new edition looks. It is like someone have taken a lesson from the GW guys in cover making, making it look like an action movie instead of showcasing a little piece of the awesome setting that we know and love.

But what do you other think about the new cover?

DH19.jpg

Why would it replace the inquisitor? Shouldn't he be in the front?

I like the cover! It rocks! Thinking about making a shirt with the logo on it. -_-

The art is very arty, I'm sure, but I'd prefer a solid black or white cover with a clear, non-fancy font and at most a minimalist =I= logo.

Admittedly, I'd rather it looked like this:

DH20-Book-Right.png

I am actually deeply in love with it. Seriously. I may actually buy the GM screen just for the art and design itself.

I was about to start a thread about it, haha.

So having found a picture of the new cover today, yes I am slow like that, must I say that I am rather disappointed over how the new edition looks. It is like someone have taken a lesson from the GW guys in cover making, making it look like an action movie instead of showcasing a little piece of the awesome setting that we know and love.

But what do you other think about the new cover?

DH19.jpg

This doesn't look like an action movie to me. In fact, I'm fairly certain its using some recycled artwork that was used in DH 1st Ed of an Inquisitorial Tribunal. Not the most exciting idea, recycling art, but at least it's appropriate. I don't actually mind the new cover but for some reason the first thing I thought when I saw it was,"That kinda looks like a textbook cover."

Upon further review I couldn't put my finger on why exactly I felt that way. It looks nothing like a textbook and I'm a fan of the wraparound art layout but something about the new cover seems a little odd to me.

Edited by khimaera

It looks nothing like a textbook and I'm a fan of the wraparound art layout but something about the new cover seems a little odd to me.

I like the look of it overall, but I find having the title at the bottom of the cover to be a bit off.

I'm with Simsum here.

But then, I do tend toward minimalist designs.

I like it. They put the heresy on the cover...HERESY I say!

Wait a minute how come the GM Kit gets a better cover design than the core book which we all know the core book is the main selling point? I have to agree with MajorTomK in that the kit looks better. I rather go with the MajorTomK route, or go with minimum stuff than what we have for a cover now.

Edited by Snowman0147

I don't dislike it, but I would have preferred the red outline be white or metallic silver instead.

And I also like the GM Screen better...

I love both.

Edited by Keffisch

To clarify, the GM Kit cover is good but I also like the 'blood-soaked hive' look of the GM Screen.

DH20-mockup-screen.png

Again, the red outline of the =I= is not great but otherwise it's pretty cool.

Alex

Looks pretty good to me.

Wait a minute how come the GM Kit gets a better cover design than the core book which we all know the core book is the main selling point?

Well, it simply isn't better. Its a question of taste, at this point. I personnaly think that the book is perfect like that and samething for the GM screen. People that designed it thought like this too. You don't, and others don't.

I personnaly like the overall look of all this. It has a more modern thing to it. I can't wait to get the new edition!

The Cover seems Appropriate to me. It reflects the insanity and danger covered by the Inquisition!

I actually like that cover very much. It's much more intriguing than the fat guy in power armor that made it to the cover of the GM kit.

I don't like it. Makes me think chaos for some reason. Not Inquisition. Too much red outline on the logo.

Chaos, The Inquisition, its all the same. ;)

Chaos, The Inquisition, its all the same. ;)

I see you have developed Forbidden Lore (Inquisition) +20. :lol:

Alex

I'm not really fond of the cover, it's too 'busy' for my taste. I would have just prefered the image in the small product icon as seen here . But hey, what's that about not judging a book by its cover? :P We just have to think positive, in that the book will probably be open most of the time anyway. :D

A while back there was a minimalist RPG covers thread over at RPG.net which, among many other covers, resulted in this Black Crusade cover:

xbcr45.jpg

My 40K wargaming geek squad use this for our wargaming compendium:

th_863834107_wh40k_122_384lo.jpg

With the exception of FFG's beta rules covers, I like both of these infinitely more than any of FFG's 40K RPG covers.

Yeah, less is more. The final cover just feels too crowded. That art would have served better as a full spread on the first 2 pages.

Ah well, not like they're going to change it now. :P