Some questions that arose in the first game

By mbern46, in Age of Conan

Played my first game yesterday and it went very well, but a few questions came up that we weren't too sure on the answer so we had to improvise a bit. Hopefully I can get some help in answering them for next time. here goes.

1) The military action of move and attack. Does this mean that I move into an enemy or neutral province and then attack, or can I move into a friendly province and then with another army move into an enemy or neutral province? Does the attack part of the action allow the movement into the province I'm attacking?

2) Same as above but with intrigue. Do I have to move an emissary into the province I want to attack, or does the attack itself allow me to move the emissary in the province being attacked? And how would this be affected by the ability to bridge with other emissaries.

3) The instructions say that only 1 sorcery token can be used per roll, but since you are re-rolling can you still use it again, or is the limit 1 sorcery token per battle.

4)Do you always draw a strategy card before bidding for Conan, or is this only done at the beginning of the game. We found ourselves without strategy cards sometimes so I assume we should be drawing everytime, but I would like to be sure.

That's all I can remember for now.

The game was a blast to play by the way, and we had no problems getting Conan to his destinations. The reason he never made it was actually because we kept sending him to the front lines to help with military attacks. Its amazing how much of an advantage he can give you in battle.

mbern45 said:

1) The military action of move and attack. Does this mean that I move into an enemy or neutral province and then attack, or can I move into a friendly province and then with another army move into an enemy or neutral province? Does the attack part of the action allow the movement into the province I'm attacking?

The first move in a move and attack does not have to be related to the attack at all. You can move guys from a province down in Stygia, and then attack a province in Hyperboria (granted, assuming you have units in those two areas).

The attack portion allows you to move into a province and attack it. And, here I'm a little hazy, but I believe you can also move into an on-going campaign (i.e. reinforce it) and then do the next campaign attack.

So basically, move and attack will allow you to move two different armies.

mbern45 said:

2) Same as above but with intrigue. Do I have to move an emissary into the province I want to attack, or does the attack itself allow me to move the emissary in the province being attacked? And how would this be affected by the ability to bridge with other emissaries.

Same thing, you get to move two completely separate emmissaries, or even the same emmissary if you wish.

mbern45 said:

3) The instructions say that only 1 sorcery token can be used per roll, but since you are re-rolling can you still use it again, or is the limit 1 sorcery token per battle.

1 per battle. And if you have play-on-the-table cards that let you reroll, you can use those before or after Sorcery (i.e. they affect the "roll", if you use play-on-the-table then decide to use Sorcery, you don't get to reroll again unless you have a 2nd play-on-the-table card).

mbern45 said:

4)Do you always draw a strategy card before bidding for Conan, or is this only done at the beginning of the game. We found ourselves without strategy cards sometimes so I assume we should be drawing everytime, but I would like to be sure.

It's everytime. We were a little confused on that one too the first time we played, because we wanted to keep our cards sometimes and not bid on Conan at all. Then we realized that you get a free card every bid, so that made us realize you HAVE to use a card in the bid process.

-shnar

Thanks for the quick reply. We were moving the armies wrong then. This way should allow us to cover more ground and make the game move faster.

For as few pieces that you might seemingly have, it moves pretty quick once you get those strategies down. It seems counter-intuitive at first (an attack is a move twice and attack? wha?) but once you get used to it, it's a pretty cool game. I want to play it again, as I don't get the chance to play very often :)

-shnar

Yeah, my first game was a 2 player game so I'm actively trying to hunt down some more people to see if I can get 3 or 4 people for the next game. Unfortunately most of the people I hang out with don't play board games and I myself have never really been into these types of games. Never went beyond the simple ones like monopoly and risk.

It also doesn't help that Conan doesn't seem to be very popular these days. Hopefully they will release the new movie soon and get people interested in Conan again.