Next Book: How long...

By EGG2, in 6. AGoT Spoiler Space

...will it take you to read A Dance of Dragons once you have it in hand(Assume same length as A Feast for Crows). Being an admitedly slow reader, I think it would take me at least 2 weekends during normal work weeks. If on vacation however, 3-4 days.

Well, I was able to "rip through" Clash of Kings in about two weeks, but it almost always takes me closer to four weeks to read one of his books. Although, I can guarantee that if it comes out before my December vacation, I'll probably sit down and read it all the way through in a few days.

Then I'll buy the audiobook, so I can listen to it over and over and over.

if its like feast, 3 months....if its like any of the others 3-6 days.

I have to agree with JerusalemJones (at least on the audiobook part) I will probably tear thru the book then listen to the audio. Especially if I can get my hold on an ebook copy. I have found that I get thru books much quicker when reading on my soony reader than when using an actual paperback/hardcover. Not sure how or why that is.

I cant still decide if I am going to wait for the translation to Czech or read it right away in english. If in eglish, it may take me few month.

But I am very very thrilled about the translation, because the last book was translated into czech by a lady that translated almost all the names (last names) in czech and it made no sence and sometimes I was lost in the story since I didnt know who is it talking about, specialy when I knew the real names from the cards.

Just as an example she translated "Harlaw" as "Drsnozákonský" which is absolutely ridiculous beacause first of all in is translation for "Hardlaw" and second of all it is imposible to read all the time.

Translations are usually an issue. I'm from Spain but I read in English. Why? Easy:

• You read exactly the same words the autor decided to write. Writers spend a lot of time deciding which words are the best in each sentence. Let's respect that.
  • You understand jokes and word plays, which are always very hard to translate without destroying the original meaning. (i.e. Kingslayer and Kinslayer are very similar in English. They are not in Spanish: Matareyes and Matafamiliares / Mataparientes )
  • You learn a lot of vocabulary and grammar :D

I have to say, Spanish translations come out really fast. It's just... it's not the same, you know?

As a rule, I tend not to "rip" through books, and rather savor them instead. I tend to read a few chapters a day, set the book down, and digest what I read. Kick it around a bit, then once my palette is clean, repeat the process the next day (guess one could say I read a good book like some may drink a fine wine). Now there are times when I get near the end of a good book where I may just plow on through to the end, but that is not the norm for me.

Can't wait until the next book comes out (will it ever???). Been far too long since "Feast of Crows" was published, and from looking at GRR Martin's official site, I don't see any sense of urgency or updates about any pending release (maddening and saddening, both at the same time).

Cheers.

ASoIaFfan

I just hope it comes out before I finish Feast of Crows, I am reading Storm of Swords right now, going alot slower than I did with first two.

I hope that means you are taking your time with it, not that it is harder to read. Storm is still my favorite of the series so far.

I think the real question is when, if ever, will the next novel come to fruition? He's taking his sweet time that is for sure. I'm currently about half way through A Feast for Crows and I've slowed my pace because I don't want to have a huge void. I went through the first three in about a month and a half and so far they've been brilliant. I just hope he lives long enough to bring the series to a close.

Eddard Zstark said:

I just hope he lives long enough to bring the series to a close.

That's the scary part I try not to think about. I'm pretty sure he'll get Dance out within another year or two (or three or four...). But beyond that? It's going to be pushing it for him to get two more books finished at his current pace.

Some serious editing might be in order. Personally I'm not sure you need to run 1000 pages on average. Then again, it's not my vision. I can't complain about the pacing of the story lines thus far. I find the books flow quite well.

My copy is already pre-ordered from Amazon.com... I can't wait! Feast of Crows took me the longest to read: somewhere around a week and a half. That was mostly because it wasn't as gripping as the others of course. Mostly the characters in it were not my favorite, and I thought Cersei's self destruction was a little excessively described. For "Dance" though I expect it to go much faster since the general story lines of the Northern/Free cities characters have always been more appealing to me.

Got the book 11am on the 12th, just completed it now.