Combat cards...redundant?

By Artaterxes, in DungeonQuest Revised Edition

Excited to hear about this!! Quick question.

Why is it necessary to have both a "wounds dealt" and "wounds suffered" column on each card? A wound dealt by one side is a wound suffered for the other.

In the example given, a ranged vs. magic attack would result in the ranged attacker "dealing 0 damage and suffering 1," according to the card, while the magic attacker "deals 1 damage and suffers 0," according to the card. But the net result is the ranged attacker suffers 1 damage and the magic attacker suffers 0; no need to say "deal."

Melee beats magic which beats ranged which beats melee. The winner suffers 0 damage and the loser suffers 1 (unless he loses to melee where he suffers 2). For a tie, the winner and loser each suffer 1 damage, except for melee where they each suffer 2. So just by using "suffer," (or just "deal") I could explain each scenario.

So yeah...am I missing something about this?

Edited by Artaterxes

I think "wounds dealt" means wounds the monster deals to the hero, while "wounds suffered" means wounds the monster suffers itself. Assuming hero combat cards look the same, it would be vice versa for them.

For example, the "monster melee" card shown in the preview says the following:

Hero     Wounds    Wounds
Card     Dealt    Suffered
(Range)    0         2
(Melee)    2         2
(Magic)    1         0

There may well be a whole deck of these cards, and the number of wounds dealt/received in each case may vary on each card.

Edited by Steve-O

Ah, so you think each individual card might be different. I get that.

I thought each card would just be a replica of what is found on the table found in the manual.

Well, I don't think that there's going to be any variation of the combat cards. Damage values are prefixed (and presented on the combat table). The whole revised concept is imho to drop out the complicated combat system (although the "new" one was offered as an official variant) and an excuse to stop printing the extra hero cards as well as testing the game's appeal to fans with a possible future expansion in mind (although I think this is a game that really doesn't need one - it's great as it is :-) )