Descent into darkness

By Ya La, in Rogue Trader Gamemasters

And here's another one. How would you handle an arrangement witha player to have his character progressively take on a more antagonistic role. Say if he was going to give in to the forces of chaos willingly.

He starts doing bad things, he gets Corruption points. He gets warp exposure, he researches corrupt lore, he partakes in the Cold Trade, he has Ecclesiarchy officials assassinated; for any of these, he gets corruption.

At 100 corruption, you would normally take the character out of play and possibly make him a villain. In this case, you just convert the charater to Black Crusade and reset Corruption to zero.

Yeah, simply put just dole out corruption points for their debauched, evil acts. They'll soon be getting malignancies and mutations those in-and-of themselves will be enough to shoehorn the character into an antagonistic role.

As a slightly more involved method, consider providing 'easy' solutions to their problems in exchange for corruption points. Maybe a pirate captain keeps escaping the player's wrath, but just one little ritual will make him 'go away', for the small price of D10 corruption points? Then start giving them harder options - maybe the rituals require sacrifices, and the other players get suspicious when the officers start going missing. Eventually there will come a point where a confrontation is inevitable. Give the player a way out that also gives the other players a reason to hate him. Say he bargins with a daemonic power to transport him off the ship in exchange for letting the Geller field down for a few seconds, allowing daemonic entities to attack the ship.

You might also want to find a way to introduce a new character for your player at the same time. In the example used above, the player's chaotic character could have swapped places with another person, teleporting a complete stranger onto the ship in his place.

Or, if he goes the slow and subtle route, he could end up being the closet-radical who means well and is trying to help... by arranging for secret hit-and-run attacks via daemon-summoning, maybe.

Ooh, I'm gonna have to remember that one to use with my antagonists. "And their action... hit and run. You have bloodletters on board." "Wat."

I'd expect this person to disrupt the play of others in the game, so I'd take the traditional route and remove them from the game at 100 corruption points.

You gotta organize with the guy himself outside of the normal meet, come together on that direction and what it means and how it's going and what the terms are for when it finally manifests as some sort of event the other players have to respond to preferably when they don't have much space to plan in advance.

I don't have Black Crusade but I like the idea the previous guy mentioned, where the ****** has jumped rule sets but you and him don't tell anyone. He's on the other side now but that's for them to figure out.

I'm glad you agree, Larry, but Knight raises a good point- good communication is essential to ensure the game doesn't fall out of balance- if only one character is getting tainted like this, then it's easy for the story to become "The fall and rise of Arch-Heretic Joe the Terrible."

I recommend against giving him the chance to disrupt the other players experience- however, that's not to say he can't disrupt the other players plans. In that case, if he starts sabotaging things for some reason or another (and he would need a reason beyond "because I'm corrupt now," so motivation is important in this case) and the other players aren't quick enough on the uptake to figure out how to counter him, it's not impossible that some agent of the Inquisition might show up pursuing the player in question. At that point, the character is more-or-less forced into the antagonist role, and you have to have the player give him up.

What this means is that the corrupt player can still work with the party, even after being corrupted, using his newfound radical tools to further the group efforts. If, however, the player takes on the role of the antagonist, then the character has, not to put too redundant a point on it, become an antagonist.

Like I said: talk it over with your player in advance, and figure out what he might want to do after his fall.