An upgrade for a DH Ascension PC in my DW game.

By pearldrum1, in Deathwatch House Rules

The scouting role isn't one I had considered, because any Raven Guard can probably do it better- but you may not have a Raven Guard or that supplement (they get a cheap talent that removes stealth penalties from wearing PA)

Then again, any DW Marine could simply opt for wearing Scout Armour instead of PA. ;)

But of course that'd make him a little more squishy, and if the established group dynamic works, there's no reason to push the character out of one of the few areas where he's actually useful.

combat drugs, gratuitous cyber-enhancement

Depending on the specific item in question, those might enable him to "transcend" his supporting role, though. If the player is satisfied with being the group's pathfinder, or "automap", to use your example, and everyone in the group agrees that he should not get too close to the combat efficiency of the Marines, then any such enhancements should be limited to enhancing noncom tasks.

From the drugs you mentioned, the Pain Suppressant might be useful to keep him alive. Frenzon on the other hand just sounds like a ticket into an early grave, considering that the enemies in DW are scaled for close combat with power-armoured, unnaturally tough Astartes. Unless you include special opponents just for his character, but this might be tricky as they could get easily taken out by one of the Marines.

Re: Frenzon- Hey, I didn't say it was a really good idea for the player- I just threw it in there as an option. It's always an option for a player to go lemming!

Re: Role- I didn't suggest the best-quality muscle enhancement for that reason- it gives him the unnatural strength of a Marine, but limits agility, which runs counter to his established role so far. The cyberware recommended all lent itself towards support roles- except for the Ocular Sight. That's just shoot-tastic- but it's really no better than his weapon. If he was lugging around a Storm Bolter, it'd be a bigger deal. Lascarbine? I am doubtful.

Ah, gotcha, the "gratuitous enhancement" somehow sounded as if you'd turn him into a combat monster, in spite of the two examples (probably as I recalled that most bionics come with some sort of combat advantage). Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

Pah. No apologies necessary. Just remember all of the 40k art where you see hunched savants with cables galore sprouting from their heads or cybernetic augmentation just to get around.

Don't forget the Conversion field. 50% save means half the hits aren't. This is particularly useful for those few times he won't be able to avoid the hit.

Where can I find the stats/availability for this?

I am starting to become worried about you, Lyn... this seems to have become a fetish! :lol:

Alex

Warhammer 40,000, you mean? Yes, I think it has. :P

I also may have been on /tg/ too long.

Conversion field

Don't forget the Conversion field. 50% save means half the hits aren't. This is particularly useful for those few times he won't be able to avoid the hit.

Where can I find the stats/availability for this?

Fancy name for a forcefield. Just look up a Rosarius. There's one in RoB P143 and yes humans can have them as well as marines. Inquisitors, some of the Sororitas, clergy etc. Theres no renown or req for it though cause in DW you only get it for being a Chaplin.

They appear in Dark Heresy Ascension though (P145) where they are functionally the same and count as Extremely Rare for its availability. Using the chart on DW core rulebook P139 it gives you rough req rates to charge for this but feel free to tinker with it.

Tell me you're not a namefag! :D

Alex

Tell me you're not a namefag! :D

Alex

Are we going to have to remove you guys to another location.... AGAIN? Just kiss already, good lord.

I know better than to approach one of the Emperor's Brides! :lol:

Alex