Fleshing out the Chains of Judgement, Broken Chains.

By Fgdsfg, in Black Crusade Game Masters

If you name is Fenix, Scorch, Omega or Jonathan, get out of this thread.

As part of a Black Crusade campaign I'm starting up, I'm going to start it off with Broken Chains, followed by at least two other starting modules. But let's focus on Broken Chains first.

Anyone that's run it?

As part of Broken Chains, the better part of an Iconoclast Destroyer, a Chaos-turned-Inquisition-turned-Chaos voidship, is explored. I'd like some ideas in fleshing this ship out.

Details of the ship are in Broken Chains, but apart from what's said there, what would you recommend doing? After all, this is a ship that has been stuck in the Warp for centuries, with it's Gellar Field sometimes flickering, sometimes even trapping daemons inside.

As such, there's a lot of potential to flesh out a non-standard ship, and a lot of potential for various cults in the holds, or generational families locking themselves off in certain sections, and so on and so forth.

I'd love any and all ideas anyone can come up with for this scenario. They don't even need to be directly relating to Broken Chains as an Adventure, but may also be issues that crops up down the line, since it's likely that the group will be keeping this ship as a "home base" for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Fgdsfg

Yup!

What I did was to put emphasis on the various Chaos factions, how they viewed each other. Then I ensured that the PCs got dropped into the mix, leaving them open to ally/betray/destroy/subvert/conquer the various groups. (i.e. Slaves, Guards, Pirates, Mutants, the crap-daemon in the sludge holds, etc.) in any way they liked. There were clues, overheard conversations, references to past events as well as mention of the Inquisitor and his forces.

As a backdrop, I kept dropping hints/events that suggested a chaotic controlling force behind it all, i.e. the "Daemon".

NB. In the end it went from a fairly straight forward mystery ship-crawl with social and combat encounters, into something right out of Event Horizon..

It is a great adventure and it can be modded six ways from Sunday. Go nuts!

Well in the main module, there's not really any Chaos factions, although I guess I really could make a mutant-faction running around the lower decks, opposing The Carrion. I was also thinking of having some remnants of the old arbites guard forces, but when I think about it, it seems a bit far-fetched that they'd still be around 200 years later without already having either won or lost to some capacity; after all, it's not that big of a ship, and if the guardsmen would've survived, you'd think that they'd be holding all the cards (such as being able to get into the Medicae deck, access codes, free movement between Upper and Lower decks, etc).

And yeah, the hints of Karnak Zul's influences will be here and there, along with some mysterious aspects of pure warpfuckery. At one point early-ish on, they're going to find a mysterious note with different messages on it depending on who looks at it, and one of the messages are influenced by Karnak Zul. I've also moved the meeting with Karnak Zul to the Navigator Spire, to give them cause to go there - when they get there, it turns out that the Navigator Spire is cracked open like an egg - while Karnak Zul is still chained there, he's managed to affect his surroundings over the centuries.

I was also thinking that I'd try to imprint on them that moving along the corridors, climbing over debris and fallen sections and jumping over chasms is an ardous and time-consuming experience. In in-game terms, I expect it'll take them at least two days before they get to the Upper Deck, at which point they'll surely be famished. They may even have to resort to cannibalism, depending on how desperate or slow they are. The Carrion Queen will surely offer 'refreshments', at least.

I've also decided to spread out where they find their stuff. Some of it will be found on the Medicae Deck where they wake up, some will be found in the Guard Tower in the Prison Holds, and some may even be all the way over in the Armoury. Until they get at least to the Guard Tower, they'll be essentially naked.

I've also made two maps, the first one they start with, and then I'll reveal more of the ship as they go (first Lower Deck and then Upper Deck/Bridge).

First: http://i.imgur.com/f1CcZjC.png
Second: http://i.imgur.com/5tkiHJn.png

I'm also going to introduce the suggest Dark Eldar suggested in the Adventure, but I may not actually have him interact with the players, I may just have him show up briefly before running away from them in the dark hallways.

i really liked the CoJ adventure,, i didnt really change that much when i ran it xpt for the fact that i changed the pcs roles,, i used this adventure to start off an ascension campaign for D.H wherein the pc wake up from stasis with a complete memoryloss but then slowly start to discover that they are in fact an inqusitorial group that for some reason have been placed on the ship and are heading for summary execution,, the group consist of an inq, a crusader, a primaris psyker and a deathwatch kill-marine.. the focus of the game is then for the pc to regain their memories and find out why they were placed on the ship in the first place,, when the adventure ended i had them escapedroppod unto a planet (Mammon off course :) in the screaming vortex for the final battle vs the inerrogator Crane,, theyve done alot of roleplaying in the vortex (i fx ran the temple of lies adventure coupled with some of my own) mascurading as a group of deranged chaotic roleplayers until they finally found a way out,, by gettin themselves enlisted by a chaos cult lead by the word bearers that sent them as infiltrators into the spinward front to spread chaos and confusion amongst the ranks of the imperials,,, ive just finished running the introduction scenario from the OW rulebook and their adventures will continue from there,, :)

When I ran CoJ I turned the accursed destroyer into something from Cube or Event Horizon movies - the webway of decks and corridors is seemingly infinite, and heretics who may know Iconoclast specs quickly figure out that shipe became much larger inside than it looked from outside, configuration of rooms and corridors is constantly shifting according to some insane pattern, some decks looks like they have been abandoned a second ago with smoke coming from lho stick on the table, some look utterly alien, some are terribly twisted with metal of the bulkheads warped into screaming faces, cellings turned into scarred flesh and gravity plates misplaced or working incorrect - death traps all around the ships and mind-shattering secrets stored in its data-crypts and librariums goes without saying. Along with mutants, cannibals, demons, imperial agents trapped on main bridge, and corrupted murder-servitors warp-ghosts haunt the destroyer, appearing more often if you dare to approach warp drive of the ship - and it only gets weirder if you reach it.

I turned CoJ into long campain of madness, survival and mystery, where heretics earn some twisted form of respect from whatever possessed the ship by walking their talk with various factions, adapting to deadly enviroment around them, exploring its depths and, piece by piece learning the mistery of the ship, its past, people who served aboard and, most important of all, true name of the demon currently at the helm. When that last part is complete warband can embark on their path of launching a black crusade - with different alignments, methods and beliefs but firmly bonded with each other and their ship by shared knowledge, experience and ultimate dark goal.