Assigning Indirect damage vs combat damage

By Spieler1922930, in Warhammer Invasion Rules Questions

Hi folks,

just had a octgn match against a Polish player. We got into discussion about the following situation:

He has a Night Runner in his battle field together with some other units. In his quest lurks a rat swarm on the quest We Hates Them All with 6 token. With the support of attacking Clan Rats he pumps the Night Runner up to 20 Power (1 standard from the Night Runner, 5+4+3+2+1 from the Quest for taking 5 token down, +1 from the Clanrats after corrupting and the +3 from some friendly Warpstone Experiments).

After declaring an attack at my undamaged Quest zone (no development) he assigns 20+ damage to the quest zone.

So far I still can't see why our Polish friends and neighbours are pushing the Skaven, but I agree ruleswise.

BUT...

After assigning damage he wants to use the action of the Night Runner and causes 20 INDIRECT damage. I would assign 8 INDIRECT damage to my Quest zone as it will burn no matter what and spread the 12 remaining INDIRECT damage somewhere else. He doesn't accept that because in his opinion I'm not allowed to assign any indirect damage to the zone as there already is so much damage assigned to the zone that it will burn.

As I read the FAQ p.11 regarding indirect damage you (quote) cannot assign more indirect damage to a section of a capital than what it would take to burn that section of the capital(unquote). Same goes for units and legends. According to him this takes combat damage into consideration that is already assigned because "damage is damage" and so I couldn't assign more.

Never played and interpreted it that way. Another way of alternate Polish lifestyle refering to our beloved game or where I blind and neglected the real power of indirect damage for all the years?

Greetings

As far as I know, this hasn't been explicitly clarified by the developers. But I agree with your view. I don't think you take damage that is assigned, but not yet applied, into consideration when determining how much indirect damage you can assign. The rules explicitly mention that you take damage cancellation effects into consideration, they do not speak of considering assigned damage.

"Damage is damage" is too simple. There's a big difference between damage tokens that are assigned and damage tokens on a card/zone. The game treats them differently (think of cancellation, redirection, moving, healing). A unit or zone that is only assigned damage doesn't count as being already damaged. In your scenario, the zone isn't burning. It has eight hit points, so it can be assigned eight indirect damage. That it has already been assigned damage from another source doesn't change this, it's different from the zone already having damage on it. That's how I would rule it.

Edit: Forgot to add that "damage is damage" is of course too simple when it comes to types of damage too. As you correctly point out, the rules say a zone cannot be assigned more indirect damage than it would take to burn it. In your scenario, it is assigned combat damage and then gets assigned indirect damage. Seems quite clear to me the combat damage shouldn't be taken into consideration.

Edited by Mallumo

Ugh. Okay, so the quest says "Target attacking unit gets X P...", and in your case it gets 20. Does it say anywhere that said unit loses the power when it's no longer attacking? This sort of reminds me of the "constant" effect of toxic hydra killing units that come into the battlefield later, in that it isn't obvious.

So what I'm saying is: Does the unit attack, hit for 20 damage, have it's 20P until the end of the turn? Could just corrupt him after combat...

<hides from Mallumo>

I am curios on this to

Ugh. Okay, so the quest says "Target attacking unit gets X P...", and in your case it gets 20. Does it say anywhere that said unit loses the power when it's no longer attacking? This sort of reminds me of the "constant" effect of toxic hydra killing units that come into the battlefield later, in that it isn't obvious.

So what I'm saying is: Does the unit attack, hit for 20 damage, have it's 20P until the end of the turn? Could just corrupt him after combat...

I am curios about this too. We Hates Them All - along with the support Screaming Bell - do not state "until the end of the turn". So I wonder if you pump up your Night Runner using one or both of these cards to say, 20 P, then trigger his action, does he deal 20 indirect damage or just damage equal to his orginal power?

Also, I am somewhat unclear on We Hates Them All, though it seems perhaps my answer lurks up in Deadeye's post. I am wondering if you have 6 tokens on and remove 1, you can have target attacking unit (say, Clan Rats) gain 5 P. If you then remove another to give another target attacking unit 4 P, does the Power on Clan Rats stay at 5 extra, or go down to 4 as well?

I'm quite confused here. Any help would be appreciated...

When a card gains power, the amount it gains is added to its existing power, it doesn't replace the existing power. So this was handled correctly. You have an attacking unit with 1 power and 6 tokens on We Hates Them All. You remove one token to have the unit gain 5 power (increasing its power to 6), then you remove another to have it gain 4 (increasing its power to 10), and so on.

The units gains the power, and keeps it after the attack. "Target attacking unit" is simply a targeting restriction, the target needs to be an attacking unit. The effect doesn't say that it gains the power only while attacking (like for example Spider Riders, Greyseer Thanquol, Makka Greenfist, and others).

It has been clarified that effects for which the duration isn't specified and which don't alter the game state (like control effects) last until the end of turn. So the unit keeps the power gained from We Hates Them All until the end of turn, even when it is not attacking anymore.

Thanks Mallumo! Fiesty little fury rats.Almost like an endless relentless tide of destruction and dead. An endless relentless tide of destruction and death. An endless relentless.......

So then the right way to play this is attack, take out the one zone, then after the damage is applied and combat is over, corrupt the unit to do 20 more indirect? Thus getting around Mr. Deadeye's super sneaky trick of assigning indirect damage to the about to be destroyed zone?

DO NOT perpetuate that endless relentless thing.