Concerned about table size

By greengogol, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hello! I'm almost ready to buy Warhammer Diskwars, but the required table size is 36"x36", plus some table space for the deployment cards. My table size is 33" X 55" so it's a bit smaller. Either we play with 3 inches missing from the deployment zones, or we play sideways with 3 inches missing on the sides of the battlefield.

Is it going to affect the game balance?

Hello! I'm almost ready to buy Warhammer Diskwars, but the required table size is 36"x36", plus some table space for the deployment cards. My table size is 33" X 55" so it's a bit smaller. Either we play with 3 inches missing from the deployment zones, or we play sideways with 3 inches missing on the sides of the battlefield.

Is it going to affect the game balance?

I would go with the sides being 3" short. If you do so, you should be fine, its pretty rare that a little over an inch will matter greatly in my experience. Flankers may be ever so slightly better, but otherwise I think it'd be fine.

Ok, thanks. It will be weird though. It will be like playing chess from the side of the board

That's how I play, since I suffer from the same issue of table space. Playing from the side was a little awkward at first, due to the flipping mechanic, but we've since gotten used to it.

We've had the same problem while playing on a table with 2 edges just one short increment shorter than 3''.

It works out fine - got to put deployment zones inside the battlefield on shorter edges, but overall experience was OK.

On second thought, I believe it was 5% more bloody ;) .

Other alternatives would be to reduce the length of the deployment zone by 1'5 inch, or to reduce the first move of each disk in the game by 1.

Or i am worrying for no good reason and those 3 inches won't affect the game in any way.

Edited by greengogol

I just went out and bought a 3-fold poster that was 48" x 36". The last fold section is 12", so I easily cut it off with an exacto knife thanks to the fold.

http://www.staples.com/Elmers-Black-Foam-Display-Board-36-inch-x-48-inch/product_922528&nAID=17588969&KPID=922528

Next I would recommend getting a 40" by 36" green felt cloth to put over the board. The felt helps provide traction for the Discs while they are being flipped. You can use tape or tacs to hold the part that wraps around the board in place. I used a set of velcro strips, because I can easily remove the felt from it and fold the 'table' up for storage space. (Note below link is not 40" x 36")

https://www.fabric.com/buy/cfs-035/rainbow-classicfelt-9-x12-craft-felt-cut-olive-green?&cm_mmc=Google-_-Products-_-Products%20Listings-_-Ads&CAWELAID=172000510000028881&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=172000510000043626&cadevice=c&gclid=CN_ZoJv8ur0CFUNhfgodJZwA5g

Sure beats flocking a table and such.

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1895610_md.jpg

Edited by Zcurator

I love that idea with the red felt patches for the deployment zones!

Sure makes deployment and gameplay a lot easier