Discussing Movement

By Latoshi, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

Hello friends! I am back with an interesting concept for you all to mull over. I have been looking over the books and reading over the rules, and in my reading I noticed something. This thing is probably minor, but being a science oriented person (I know this is fantasy and this is not a good thing to adhere to), something with movement bothered me. For example charging, the combat menuever focused around running at full speed towards your enemy for bonuses (and penalties). Yes this is good and all, but I find it lack luster late game. I mean a +10 to attack in exchange for a -10 to block and a -20 to dodge? The +10 is hardly worth that later on.

Now you are probably wondering "Where does movement come into play in this?" Well Say for example you have a character who has managed a movement value of.... lets say 18. Now in this assumption we are NOT assuming that their Agility is 18, but instead much lower. This movement being achieved by artifact and/or a successful Athletics check (Following Core Exxet tables). That character is moving at a top speed of a little over mach 5 (or five times the speed of sound). That is an absurd speed to be traveling, isn't it?

Wouldn't you think if you where hit by something going mach 5 that it would hurt, like a lot? But Anima does not seem to have any rules that even mention, let alone address, this. I mean if this character who had 18 agility had a low base damage but a high speed would it make sense that the speed would facilitate to make the blow that much more immense?

I mean.... If I was to throw a penny at you, it is more than likely going to do nothing. But if I was to stand at the top of a skyscraper and drop that penny, it would have the energy to embed itself in concrete (assuming there is no opposing forces due to air). It just kinda saddens me that traveling mach 5 does nothing more than sound flavorful. It SHOULD carry with it much more intense applications.

Who else agrees?

Boah, complex topic. First of all, I should mention the excessive imbalance of characteristics rule from DE. Gives you all action bonuses vs chars with lower dex/agi, which seems to simulate your mach 5 penny at least to some degree. I guess the main reason why there are no other rules mentioning that sort of scenario is balancing.

Yes it is a very complex topic, but it is one i think should be addressed none the less. In all honesty im not looking for like game breaking bonuses to be implemented from such a movement value, but i am looking for a bonus none the less.

In regards to excessive imbalance of attributes I believe I recall stating that this should be addressed as if the movement value was NOT gained because of high agility but instead relying soley on the movement value itself. In other words bonuses gained by the movement value directly. Not bonuses gained directly by agility.

And regarding balance, at the point of 18+ movement or 18+ Weight Carry balance is of little concern anymore..... Because you say balance, but when a character of 20 strength can lift up a mountain, i am not talking figuratively im talking a litteral mountain, and then drop it on you without breaking a sweat.... while yes that is not direct damage, but that is a indirect bonus given by weight tables. You would no be taking damage from the strength directly per say.... but you would take damage by being crushed by a mmountain that weighs somewhere near 100 tons.

Edited by Latoshi

There's a neather thing simmalr to this where if you want to dodge for someone else you have to "push" them out of the way. In our party we have a geint who is 15ft tall and ways about 1 tun, my charter has 3 str, how can she push him out of the way to dodge for him?

You can view it as a matter of reaction and effect. While your character herself might not be able to actually push him, she can try and therefor facilitate him moving out of the way. She doesn't necessarily need the power to move the character, just enough for the character being "pushed aside" to relize there is a direction there needs to go. That and it is also something to note that something big and heavy isn't necessarily hard to push over?

Good on you for thinking up alternative ways to interpret Push Aside.

To the point of the original post, I've gotta say I've always been torn. Basically, it's debating the merits between a world that works like this one versus a world more like this one . Now, admittedly, both anime go way back and forth on this point, but in the Anima universe there seems to be a distinct lack of kinetic energy being transferred into the object it hits. Attacks tend to stop when the hit someone, even when they have no real reason to other than simplifying the system. I'm fine with this for the most part, since it allows for some really awesome defenses.

Really though, if you want to make a simple but effective way of doing things,I'd just have an opposed STR roll on the Impact table using the characters MV in place of their STR. I think that would be more than fair in the situation you're talking about. At MV 18 you could definitely send someone flying quite a bit if they don't have the strength to stand their ground.

Of course, this idea is literally something I came up with five minutes ago so... it might need some tweaking. Hope it helps though (even though this post is almost two years old now).

Edited by TyrHawk