Playing ‘villainous’ species as rebels

By Snakesandsuns, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

So the Rebellion is generally pro-alien in it’s stance however some aliens are pretty much portrayed as whole races of villains. So how do you think the Rebellion (and your table) would react to having a classically villainous species member be a part of the rebellion, or even part of the party?

I ask because I am thinking about playing a Zygerrian commander/politico because I think it would be interesting. He would probably take the stance that with the Empires anti-alien polices that while his people are profiting now the Empire could turn against them in the future. However I can see other concepts too, like how would the Rebels deal with people that wanted to join that are Pykes or Huts?

Just like every African American is not a watermelon eating, basketball playing, drug using lazy cariacture of a person, the same goes for members of alien species.

Storytellers utilize the stereotype because it's an easy shorthand and lazy. As we all know, this means people suffer for it. Wise people understand that people exist outside of stereotypes. Since the aliens in Star Wars are fictional, not many people are complaining because no one gets hurt- yet there are somewhat legitimate grumbles of racial stereotyping.

There are many more Hutts and Pykes that are not crimelords or criminals- in fact that would not be mathematically possible given the numbers actually needed to populate a world and sustain a species. As with humans, most members of society would probably be doing drudgework, like cleaning, food prep, retail, etc.

A person that insists that an individual must be a stereotype, or continually tries to put him in that place is quite simply, a racist. The Rebel Alliance as an organization certainly would not condone racism. Being a rough and tumble organization Hutts and Pykes would certainly face discrimination, but I don't think it would be a problem up the chain. I would say they would face similar troubles that women face in the US Army.

Also not all Hutt crimelords acted like Jabba. There was Embra, who was also active during the Galactic Civil War, and was known for how loyal his employees and subjects were because he was nice to them. He later became leader of part of the Hutt Resistance during the Vong War and allied with the GA during the conflict. There's no reason similar Hutts couldn't ally with the rebellion.

Hutts in the Rebel Alliance would face troubles similar to women in the US Army? I really hope that doesn't include a high rate of sexual assaults...

Something to consider is that there are biological motivators at play for some races. But all in all, a character can break a mold and it's good story. Discuss with your GM how big a thing that hurdle would be. A Zygerrian could have a CO that had family members taken by slavers and thus hates him...or it never comes up at all if it's not an aspect of the character would like to focus on. While I would say you should have some flavor of Zygarrian issues in your character's life (otherwise why not play a human?) what they are and how they manifest is wide open.

It could be a 'restore a clan' focus or even a desire to shift the Zygarrian culture's paradigm. Maybe your Zygerrian has seen what 20 years of licking the Imperial boot has done to his people and realizes for them to be free they need to not just leave the Empire by do some social reform. That kind of idealism is a staple of Star Wars and will place those cultural issues with the character but not make it a 'every other fellow Rebel mutters about you being slaver scum behind your back' issues.

Edited by Prost

Even beyond the concept of stereotypes, "War makes strange bedfellows". If the rebels think that the individual will help their cause, they will probably be happy to have them.

As I see the rebel alliance taking any help they can get, much like the russian allies in world war two, they may not be liked.

However, if the Rebel Alliance was going for an idealogical victory, it would behoove them to shun any allies (even if said villianous species member is not the norm and a good guy) that are from the less reputable parts.

As I see the rebel alliance taking any help they can get, much like the russian allies in world war two, they may not be liked.

However, if the Rebel Alliance was going for an idealogical victory, it would behoove them to shun any allies (even if said villianous species member is not the norm and a good guy) that are from the less reputable parts.

I disagree. One of the big reasons the Rebellion was able to grow so large is because of how the Empire treated non-human and non-near human species. If the Alliance starts shunning people because of what species they are, or where they are from the backlash could cripple or destroy the Alliance in one blow.

I disagree. One of the big reasons the Rebellion was able to grow so large is because of how the Empire treated non-human and non-near human species. If the Alliance starts shunning people because of what species they are, or where they are from the backlash could cripple or destroy the Alliance in one blow.

Of course, they do make a point of shunning former Separatists for ideological reasons, despite these forces having valuable experience and stocks of armaments.

Which was IMO an act of utter idiocy on their part, especially since the New Republic's decision to recognize the independence of neutral worlds means ideologically the Alliance and most of the Separatist remnants would have gotten along fine if the Alliance hadn't insisted that former Separatists wishing to join the Alliance had to publicly disavow the Separatist cause. Though some Separatist holdouts actually did so and joined the Alliance, or became Alliance privateers.

But still shunning someone over ideology and shunning them because of actions committed by other members of their species are very different things. If the Alliance did start shunning people because of their species, and the Mon Calamari decide that means the Alliance really doesn't believe in equality of species than withdraw their support the Alliance would be utterly screwed for example.

Even beyond the concept of stereotypes, "War makes strange bedfellows". If the rebels think that the individual will help their cause, they will probably be happy to have them.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend

Of course, they do make a point of shunning former Separatists for ideological reasons, despite these forces having valuable experience and stocks of armaments.

Huh? When did this happen? I don't remember any material EU or otherwise mentioning this. As far as I'm aware, any Separatists that were left DID join the Rebel Alliance, either covertly or officially. Except for those that were actively courted by the Empire, like the Trandoshans and the Quarren. (EG the Geonosians)

That said, I'm pretty sure anything even resembling Separatist remnants were completely wiped out very shortly after the Clone Wars. The only people left would be relatives.

Huh? When did this happen? I don't remember any material EU or otherwise mentioning this. As far as I'm aware, any Separatists that were left DID join the Rebel Alliance, either covertly or officially. Except for those that were actively courted by the Empire, like the Trandoshans and the Quarren. (EG the Geonosians)

That said, I'm pretty sure anything even resembling Separatist remnants were completely wiped out very shortly after the Clone Wars. The only people left would be relatives.

Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare , page 148.

Oh, that's relatively new.

Yeah the way the book lays it out Garm bel Iblis wanted to let any Separatists who hadn't committed war crimes in while Bail Organa said no because the Alliance's main goal was the restoration of the Republic, and Mon Mothma felt that letting former Separatists in could be used as a propaganda tool by the Empire so as a compromise they only allowed in Separatists who would publicly disavow the Separatist movement, and, probably because most of the Separatist forces that were still fighting were the people who truly believed in the Separatist cause, not many did so. Though at least one Separatist captain who who was denied formal Alliance membership but became a famous Alliance Privateer.

Personally I think the whole thing was stupid. I'm certain that Imperial propaganda was already portraying the Alliance as a new wave of Separatists, especially since they referred to the worlds that openly declared their allegiance to the Alliance after the Declaration of Rebellion as Secession Worlds. The Alliance could have desperately used the personnel. resources, and hardware that allowing more Separatist holdouts to join would bring.

One of many reasons I wish someone had done an Infinity story or series where Mothma died and bel Iblis led the Alliance. No real hope of that now though. I played him in a short lived campagin where that happened, and it was fun but I still wish there were other stories like that. It would IMO be interesting to see the differences between my vision of a bel Iblis led Alliance and someone's else's vision of one.

There probably weren't that many Separatist forces left to make it worth the trouble. The Empire had the better part of two decades to hunt down the Separatists.

There probably weren't that many Separatist forces left to make it worth the trouble. The Empire had the better part of two decades to hunt down the Separatists.

There probably weren't that many Jedi left to make it worth the trouble. The Empire had the better part of two decades to hunt down the Jedi.

But there were enough Jedi left to make a difference, and that probably works out for the Separatists too.

Well too bad the Empire did too through a job of that as of 17 BBY for there to be enough Separatists to stand against them, let alone by 0 BBY.

Edited by Lord Zack

Well too bad the Empire did too through a job of that as of 17 BBY for there to be enough Separatists to stand against them, let alone by 0 BBY.

<sarcasm> Right because I'm certain that the Alliance had such overwhelming strength that it couldn't use every experienced officer or soldier it could get, and had absolutely no use whatsoever for more ships, weapons, and probably money.</sarcasm>

That stupid portrayal completely breaks my immersion. It makes no real sense at all.

So, the Rebels shunning the (former) Separatists appears only in one book? A book which I have not read.

I am not going to worry about it in my campaign then.

I think that at least some factions within the Rebellion would be willing to work with almost anyone who would aid their cause.

Remember that at the end of A New Hope Han is paid a shipload of cash for bringing Leia and the Death Star plans to Yavin. Money he plans to use to pay off his debt to Jabba the Hutt. The Rebels are ok with paying him and letting him sail away, knowing that the money is destined for a Hutt crime lord.

I expect that even a Hutt would be welcome if it was willing to fight against the Empire.

That stupid portrayal completely breaks my immersion. It makes no real sense at all.

It makes..a certain amount of sense, after all both Mon Mothma and Bail Organa saw first hand the results of Separatist war crimes, in particular their indiscriminate use of biological superweapons with wanton disregard of civilian life. In TCW there are a couple of episodes where the CIS uses these things with the intent of wiping all life out on a planet.

They didn't want to be party to genocide, it's a fair choice to make. It's more than possible the only Separatists left fighting at the time of the Rebellion are well, little Hitlers.

<sarcasm> Right because I'm certain that the Alliance had such overwhelming strength that it couldn't use every experienced officer or soldier it could get, and had absolutely no use whatsoever for more ships, weapons, and probably money.</sarcasm>

Of which the Separatists had virtually none by the time of the Galactic Civil War. And by accepting what little they might of had they are risking alienating others who actually might have a significant amount of that sort of thing, like say- the Mon Calamari or the Bothans, both of which were victimized by the Separatists.

Edited by Lord Zack

1: The truth is we don't know how many Separatist holdout controlled warships survived until the Rebel Alliance era, though we do know that a number of Separatist built warships ended up in Rebel hands.

2: If the Mon Calamari and Bothans are willing to work with former Imperials it makes no sense for them to be unwilling to work with former Separatists. Especially given that we know some of Dac's colonies went Separatist, and that some of the Imperials in question actually were guilty of carrying out genocidal attacks .before they defected.

Repentant Imperials. Not actively espousing the Imperial cause Imperials. Same with the Separatists- they had to renounce their former allegiances to join the Alliance.