Single core set command draft variant

By Iffo, in Warhammer: Diskwars

This is just an idea for those of us who are stuck with a single core set for a while and who have friends playing without a set of their own.

Since the only resource you're really limited with if two (or more) people play with one core set are the command cards I think it's fair to have a way for each player to get the cards they want without upsetting the other player(s).

The solution (I think) is a draft mini-game that would work like this:

1. Each player after picking a faction takes the three command cards specific to that faction (note one of the Chaos specific cards does not have the chaos icon in it but it only works for Demonic creatures, so its purpose is clear). If each player plays two factions they get all six of those cards.

2. The rest of the command cards are shuffled and split into two piles (face down). If you have more players participating, split to three or four piles respectively.

3. Each player then takes a pile, looks at the cards, picks one (hidden from the others) and passes the pile to the next player.

4. After all the cards are distributed, each player decides which of the picked cards would be used (up to their command deck size) and discards the rest face down (so no one knows what the others have discarded)

This way everybody gets a chance to get what they need and still no one is sure what the others got until each command has been played. Also with the three faction-specific cards being distributed to players outside the draft, there's much less opportunities for hate-drafting and also makes for faster drafts (only 12 cards are drafted).

For two player games where one is playing Order and the other is Destruction, you may deal the Order Only and Destruction Only cards along with the faction specific ones at the start and get the number of draft cards down to 10.

What do you think? Fair? Any potential for abuse? Am I missing something?

If you are playing a friendly game, and you have card sleeves with a back on them, I'd just write down the important info for that the cards that there is a demand for from multiple players, jam it in a sleeve and say all is good.

But, I do feel like what you have here is a relatively fair way to distribute the cards, if you aren't inclined to proxy...

Truthfully, if you don't have sleeves, you could just use any old card, write down a counts as legend somewhere and leave it where everyone can see it, and use different cards to stand in for the ones you don't have enough of.

I shy away from distributing them like you've mentioned, only because it will hamstring someone's strategy. Which means you won't get the best game possible. I much prefer to find a way to proxy the card, because it leaves all strategic options on the table for all of the players.

I agree with your reasoning and also I'm all for proxying stuff in friendly games (I play new X-Wing pilots and upgrades as soon as they're spoiled!!).

Thing is at the beginning no one is really sure what they want in terms of strategy so limiting their options in a fair (and fun) way seem like a good idea. Of course I'll have to play a few games under these rules to see if people like them or not.

I agree with your reasoning and also I'm all for proxying stuff in friendly games (I play new X-Wing pilots and upgrades as soon as they're spoiled!!).

Thing is at the beginning no one is really sure what they want in terms of strategy so limiting their options in a fair (and fun) way seem like a good idea. Of course I'll have to play a few games under these rules to see if people like them or not.

I can understand that, it certainly gives you an opportunity to learn all the strengths and weaknesses of the cards. The problem is that there are some cards that are almost auto-include for certain types of builds. Eager Troops for any foot slogging army or Intimidate for almost any Chaos Army are the main examples I can think of.

Of course, what really matters is that you have fun. And if the draft variant gives you that, then you win. Don't let what I say spoil it. ;)

I, of course, am only speaking of my preferences. At any rate, I'd love to hear what your group thinks of this work around. Let us know once you've had the opportunity to give it a shot.

It's not a bad idea - it should really give the game some diversity and a touch of unpredictability to the first turn of the game.

There's one thing, which - IMHO - may affect the balance of the game.

It's quite important that the last player is selecting the cards first - so he have all the options to choose whatever tactics he want - which is a privilege that compansate his unability to take initiative when the game will go on.

Handicap on that opportunity may have dire consequences to him and his fraction.

It's not a bad idea - it should really give the game some diversity and a touch of unpredictability to the first turn of the game.

There's one thing, which - IMHO - may affect the balance of the game.

It's quite important that the last player is selecting the cards first - so he have all the options to choose whatever tactics he want - which is a privilege that compansate his unability to take initiative when the game will go on.

Handicap on that opportunity may have dire consequences to him and his fraction.

Not a bad point. Though because this isn't a part of the core rules, and I think the rules are actually pretty well balanced between winning initiative and second player advantages, you may consider rotating the order of the draft for each round of the draft.

So, in the first round, last player first, first player last. Then in the second round first player first, last player last. and so on...

Actually both players would pick simultaneously - each gets a random stack of half the cards, picks one and then swaps piles with the other player.

Actually both players would pick simultaneously - each gets a random stack of half the cards, picks one and then swaps piles with the other player.

Oops... Should have reread your original post before posting...