Necrons caused the Tyranids?

By WatchCaptainCassius, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Apparently there's a rumor that a C'tan created or is behind the existence of the Tyranid hive fleets. That should be an interesting campaign idea right there but im trying to think about how my shoot first while yelling questions KT is going to handle this. Also the previous discussion on he reanimated marines isn't likely to pan out.

Edited by WatchCaptainCassius

Interesting thought. Mainly requires an entity to have been active in another galaxy, since nids are the only extragalactic species presented.

The main question is: why would the C'tan do that? They were creatures that lived inside stars and ate them. The worship and life-force of the Necrontyr was tastier, and they seemed to be somewhat antithetical to the Warp (such that psychic races like Orks and Eldar were made by the Old Ones to fight them). So why would they create a hive mind of quasi-psychic war locusts in another galaxy? Especially if those things would render galaxies dead and barren - and without things with life force for the C'tan to sup on?

Well due to the recent Canon updates the C`tan were driven insane due to the sharding process so in an effort to destroy their hated enemies the eldar, they created a race that would deaden and nullify others psychic abilities with the shadow in the warp which is just my interpretation of this rumor but I'm already thinking of things to do with this idea. Another thing is that the tyranids might just be from the edge of the galaxy in the area once controlled by the Necrontyr and their Ctan gods and that they were never released but when the necrons started rising again the place they were held was activated again and they breached containment.

Wouldn't the sharing process itself break their power to a point beyond being able to create races? Not that there'e evidence they could create races before - they didn't create the Necrontyr, they just told them how to modify themselves.

Perhaps the tyranids are like the kroot hounds, genetic dead ends of a much more intelligent race, and they also discovered ctan and once clothing it in their biological technology, which in effect made it the hive mind, killed off the intelligent ones and made the dead ends its tools of destruction which the other ctan realized and decided to stop it by stripping the galaxy bare of organic life to halt its advance.

I don't recall where I read it, but I've always thought that the Tyranids avoid Necron worlds all together.

SonOfDorn is correct, I also recall reading somewhere that Tyranids actively avoid Necron owned worlds mostly since Necron worlds are usually dead (there are some exceptions) so there is no benefit to the hive mind.

As soon as i get home i will outline the entire list of reasons i have that would allow this unfortunately i am at work and have very little time at the moment but lets just say it was a way for the Necrontyr to mark targets that were not their own worlds since the War in Heaven was fought between them and mostly organics. That way if the need arose they would only have to go into their tombworlds and activate perimeter defenses to keep out any eldar,krork(ork ancestors), or old ones looking for refuge from the tyranids. and you read that from the tyranid 5th edition codex.

so this is the awaited origin; During the War in Heaven the Necrontyr created a plague to cast a shadow that would cloud the warp based abilities of the Eldar and Krork while simultaneously infesting and destroying worlds they control by harvesting all the biomass. The plague was never unleashed from the peripheral stations set up around the rim of the galaxy. When the Necrons retreated into their tombs, the stations also went into a hibernation putting all the projects on ice including the proto-tyranids. Thus when the tombworlds began stirring at the dawn of the Imperium(see Asirnoth) the stations were powered back up and through some mishap the samples were set to be released.

hey if anyone wants to im going to try to do a campaign over Skype at some point so just message me if that seems interesting

While I can't say that I am a scholar on the fluff I must say that I don't at all like the idea of the Nids having been caused by the Necrons.

-I must say that I don't at all like the idea of the Nids having been caused by the Necrons.

+1.

im just thinking bout stuff if you dont like it. you dont even need to acknowledge it and i also believed it to be very strange when i read it as well but i began to see the connections and now im interested

Give the idea some leeway. Whatever idea we come up with it can never be as bad as some actual codex writers fluff. Because there are some really awful bits out there.

Give the idea some leeway. Whatever idea we come up with it can never be as bad as some actual codex writers fluff. Because there are some really awful bits out there.

Fair enough. The idea doesn't exactly line up with how I imagine the Necrons, but, as a thought experiment, it's quite intriguing.

The Skype campaign sounds good, but my timezone (combined with the need to show up at work every morning) probably prevents me joining.

well im sure we could work something out at some point just send me a message some time

if you guys have any questions about some of the stuff i didnt cover in the little excerpt just ask and i can probably clear it up for you.