Are you able to choose NOT to counterattack?

By Iffo, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Just played my first demo game of Diskwars with a couple of friends and a question arrised that we couldn't find a clear answer in the forums. Apologies if there was one but we missed it.

So here goes:

( A ) X ( B )

Disks A and B both pin the opponent's disk X. A disk can attack and counterattack once per battle, no matter how many disks it pins or is pinned by so in the this situation, if disk A attacks first, can you choose for disk X NOT to counterattack in order to have it instead be able to counter disk B when it attacks it?

In short: can you choose NOT to counterattack or are you required to counter the first attack that happens against your disk?

Thanks!!

A disk can attack once per engagment (either offensive or defensive according to its relativ position).

[in your example it would go like this:

1st engagment (top down): A attacks X AND X counter attacks A both dealing damage accordingly

granted that X survived, you turn to the next engagment:

2nd engagment: X attacks B AND B counter attacks X both dealing damage

(you would still have to keep in mind that keywords can grant the ability to assign damage before the opponent's damage is dealt to your disk)

I was confused about this myself especially as the example concerning scrums in the rules is not really well suited to make it clear.]

Edit: Sorry I got the situation wrong but still I think what I wrote is essentially valid.

You can counter-attack once per engagment. I'll look it up later.

Edit: (now it's is getting confusing :huh: )

While my explanations above are okay, they do not apply to yout situation.

I looked it up and there is an example in the rules (p. 9-10).

The situation is just reversed. You have in your example just one engagment, that is X is pinned by both A and B. (In the rules it is X pins both A and B.)

The rules say engagments are resoved one at a time (with all disks resolved simultaneously). They also say that you can only deal melee damage (counter attack) once DECIDING which of the engaged disks you want to assign the damage to (everything happening at the same time).

Sorry for the initial confusion but I don't want to delete my original posts.

Edited by Ser Folly

Thanks Ser Folly.

My only concern was can the defender decide not to counter attack in one of the engagements and "save" that disk's counter for the other engagement it's involved in. I guess I was thinking more in M:tG terms here - where almost everything happens in order and there's rarely any simultaneous action.

From the rule book and from your comment I'm left with the impression that the defender has a choice, which essentially means all engagements are "seen by the game" at once, instead of one by one an only their resolutions are executed discretely.

One correction to your statement however: " A disk can attack once per engagment (either offensive or defensive according to its relativ position) " - this is incorrect I think. A disk can do one attack AND one counter per battle. Right?

One correction to your statement however: " A disk can attack once per engagment (either offensive or defensive according to its relativ position) " - this is incorrect I think. A disk can do one attack AND one counter per battle. Right?

Your right, but I am too as I said 'once per engagment' and not 'only once' or 'only once per scrum' (the latter being the problem I had with the rules and which I hinted at in my answer ^_^ ).

Edited by Ser Folly

Check out the definition of "Engagement" on page 18. It's too long to re-post here but basically an Engagement includes all attacking and defending disks that can be traced back to a common attacker or defender in such a way that no disk is Embattled (both pinned and pinning).

So in the example you gave, disks A and B deal their Melee damage simultaneously and disk X chooses which disk to apply its defense to. This simultaneous attack timing is especially important to remember for disks with Stamina. In your example if Disk X had Toughness 5 and 1 Stamina and Attackers A and B had Melee attacks of 5 each, Disk X would only receive 1 Wound because all damge that exceeds Toughness is wiped away when a Wound is applied.

Hope this was helpful and makes sense.

Absolutely! Thanks Garian! This actually also answers my other question posted here today.

Hope this was helpful and makes sense.

Is that coming my direction? Admitted I used more words and made less sense but that doesn't mean you can be mean to me :D

Not at all Ser Folly.