Why do you need to insult others?

By SolennelBern, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

I'll probably get spit in the face for that but what is it with replies in some threads around here? ANY freaking other FFG forums are filled with cool people that just want to talk about their favorite games and throw their opinions around for the sake of sharing with the community.

But here...of all places...we read a few members throwing insults at people because they feel the game looks like X other game or just by sharing comments.

I won't name anyone, it's not required and won't be respectecful but for the love of the games, be respectful and constructive. It's ok that you're not agreeing with someone but there's no effing place to call someone retarded because they think the game looks like the other.

I never reported someone ever and i'm on numerous forums but if I have to i'll do it.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and thanks for respecting other members.

It's just cards after all.

I agree, this forum has been extremely hostile so far. I hope it really calms down.

Nerds + Popular IP + Speculation = a brawl

Everybody just calm down!

I think it basically comes to this: "...in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war."

Warhammer invasion was much worse and it was multiple people. Here it is one user known for similar behaviour elsewhere. Easily ignored.

Warhammer 40k has a reputation for trolls and jerks IRL and on the Internet. We shall see.

Warhammer 40k has a reputation for trolls and jerks IRL and on the Internet. We shall see.

it is because of the subject matter. 40K was born in the 80s in the midst of the punklike comic revolution that spread and took over er the world... (not related to music). Back when we used to have heroes that swore constantly and cracked jokes as they burned alive people with flame throwers. Not the kind of ***** show me your feelings type stuff we get now.

There is an ascetic, I mean the "heros" of 40K have a corpse strapped to the golden throne where they daily sacrifice 100s of humans to feed it the "life blood of mankind".. were entire planets are put to the Exterminatus on a whim, and in the latest codex entire populations of women on planets were murdered and their blood used to paint armour and sigils AND THAT IS THE ******* GOOD GUYS! it just gets darker and darker form there.

So this all attracts certain personality types. Remember 40K has a award at events for "good sportsmship" witch is an award for basically not being a **** tard as the players are so anti-social... and that is why. If your going to make such a dark universe full of such violence and not just violence revelry in that violence.. then you gotta expect some of the fans to act in such a way.

This is 40K ******* need not apply!

" Quench your weapons in the hot blood of the strongest foes! Consecrate your guns with their stolen lives! Burn the cities, slaughter the innocent! Cry your prayers to the Dark Gods and let the sky burn red with rage! The rivers will flow red with their blood! And they shall know us by the trail of their dead! " —Zarkhol the Butcher, Exhalted Champion of Khorne

it is because of the subject matter. 40K was born in the 80s in the midst of the punklike comic revolution that spread and took over er the world... (not related to music). Back when we used to have heroes that swore constantly and cracked jokes as they burned alive people with flame throwers. Not the kind of ***** show me your feelings type stuff we get now.

There is an ascetic, I mean the "heros" of 40K have a corpse strapped to the golden throne where they daily sacrifice 100s of humans to feed it the "life blood of mankind".. were entire planets are put to the Exterminatus on a whim, and in the latest codex entire populations of women on planets were murdered and their blood used to paint armour and sigils AND THAT IS THE ******* GOOD GUYS! it just gets darker and darker form there.

So this all attracts certain personality types. Remember 40K has a award at events for "good sportsmship" witch is an award for basically not being a **** tard as the players are so anti-social... and that is why. If your going to make such a dark universe full of such violence and not just violence revelry in that violence.. then you gotta expect some of the fans to act in such a way.

This is 40K ******* need not apply!

" Quench your weapons in the hot blood of the strongest foes! Consecrate your guns with their stolen lives! Burn the cities, slaughter the innocent! Cry your prayers to the Dark Gods and let the sky burn red with rage! The rivers will flow red with their blood! And they shall know us by the trail of their dead! " —Zarkhol the Butcher, Exhalted Champion of Khorne

Lame excuse.

You're right about the meta for sure, and we all find it fun to play in. But carrying those ideas into real life would mean being a sociopath.

Entertainment and reality are not the same.

Not an excuse a reasoning. I think there is a many 40K players have a reputation in the game community precisely because of the personality types that the theme attracts. .. The proof of this is in the infamous (among the gaming community) "Good Sportsman" award itself that GW instituted to try an foster a counter trend.

Edited by booored

btw this is my opinion not fact.. read on if you want.

I think that point is valid, the skulls skulls skulls aesthetic does attract people who like skulls. That said as a 40k ex-pat i think part of the problem with 40ks reputation and the reputation of the player base is the "fun and fluffy" nature of the rules. So many books are printed and there is so much wargear and tiny rules that a lot of games from 1st-6th edition ended in arguments about what the rule was and how it worked.

I think the problem with this is that GW engineered a really really really fun game in a really fun universe that was made "competitive" while the rules were made for fluff and fun. I mean good grief the best games of 40k i had were back in 2nd edition when the rules were down right crazy and it was a blast!

Long story short as the community turned more towards competitive play and less towards **** you play with your friends, people who could not handle the very competitive infinitely arguable complexity of the rules and codices dropped out but continued to play dawn of war and every other 40k IP game out there.

Pretty much anything that involves GW's IP has a rabid base of contradictory fans at each other's throats. I honestly see that happening here too, if only as a byproduct of the tabletop game. I forsee a great darkness descending upon us here, wherein we will have a constant struggle against the forces of Chaos....

Played a game of Planet Strike last night. I was Necrons, my friend was Raven Guard Space Marines. So we ended up in a meleé and his guys were using a weapon that concusses my guys and they killed one of my crypteks, and Trazen the infinite my warlord. Necrons are evil space terminator mummies, so get a chance to self repair. The cryptek gets up, but Trazen doesn't and we debate whether this repaired robot body should be concussed. Then Trazen takes over the cryptek's body instead of dying. Should this guy be concussed?

Hilarious situation, and we went by the fluffy reason of this actual beat up body should be concussed but I don't know often this comes up in the rules. If it was a tournament with money or prizes on the line and not just pals around a table? I can see things getting out of line.

That does sound like a bit of a pickle.

I'll probably get spit in the face for that but what is it with replies in some threads around here? ANY freaking other FFG forums are filled with cool people that just want to talk about their favorite games and throw their opinions around for the sake of sharing with the community.

But here...of all places...we read a few members throwing insults at people because they feel the game looks like X other game or just by sharing comments.

I won't name anyone, it's not required and won't be respectecful but for the love of the games, be respectful and constructive. It's ok that you're not agreeing with someone but there's no effing place to call someone retarded because they think the game looks like the other.

I never reported someone ever and i'm on numerous forums but if I have to i'll do it.

Dude, there are mouth-breathers bringing the cringe on every forum on here. It's not just here.

Edited by INtheShadowplay

Dude, there are mouth-breathers bringing the cringe on every forum on here. It's not just here.

It's certainly not unique here but it sure came in quite quickly compared to other places, and more agressively.

But hey, i'm just the type that utterly hate these kind of insulting replies, I just can't fathom why some feel the need to puke stuff like that.

But everything seem well and cool now.

It's certainly not unique here but it sure came in quite quickly compared to other places, and more agressively.

But hey, i'm just the type that utterly hate these kind of insulting replies, I just can't fathom why some feel the need to puke stuff like that.

But everything seem well and cool now.

Yea, just don't let it bother you, dude. The kind of people that you're talking about are Autistic fedora-wearers who base their lives around a card game. Don't let them get to you.

"Yea, just don't let it bother you, dude. The kind of people that you're talking about are Autistic fedora-wearers who base their lives around a card game. Don't let them get to you."

Did I miss a memo or something? Since when did old fashioned hats become a symbol of jerkery?

Is it specific to fedoras, or should I be worried about someone wearing a bowler or trilby as well?

"Yea, just don't let it bother you, dude. The kind of people that you're talking about are Autistic fedora-wearers who base their lives around a card game. Don't let them get to you."

Did I miss a memo or something? Since when did old fashioned hats become a symbol of jerkery?

Is it specific to fedoras, or should I be worried about someone wearing a bowler or trilby as well?

Bowlers are, by far, the worst. But watch out for those guys in the tricorns, they act all cool, but they will totally talk behind your back.

btw this is my opinion not fact.. read on if you want.

I think that point is valid, the skulls skulls skulls aesthetic does attract people who like skulls. That said as a 40k ex-pat i think part of the problem with 40ks reputation and the reputation of the player base is the "fun and fluffy" nature of the rules. So many books are printed and there is so much wargear and tiny rules that a lot of games from 1st-6th edition ended in arguments about what the rule was and how it worked.

I think the problem with this is that GW engineered a really really really fun game in a really fun universe that was made "competitive" while the rules were made for fluff and fun. I mean good grief the best games of 40k i had were back in 2nd edition when the rules were down right crazy and it was a blast!

Long story short as the community turned more towards competitive play and less towards **** you play with your friends, people who could not handle the very competitive infinitely arguable complexity of the rules and codices dropped out but continued to play dawn of war and every other 40k IP game out there.

I loved 2nd edition 40k too! Detailed vehicle damage, epic hand-to-hand combat and different missions for each player were some of my highlights. *drifts away with nostalgia*

Type "fedora neckbeard" into Google and you will understand. Fedora wearing is more of a type of person than the act of wearing a fedora. Pseudo-intelligent and unaware of how obnoxious they are.

In summary:

butthurtdwellerexplained.jpg

yeah the convoluted rules do not help for sure... that is a good point.

Still it always amazes me how the people the whinge and moan the most about rudeness are the rudest ones themselves. Oh they are happy as long as everything is done their way but if not they lash out like little pissy girls, make entire threads to attack other members.. it is pathetic., The world is a big place , lot of people do not share your aesthetics or choices.. be a man and take your licks or do as Tosh dose and do not engage. Simple as that.

And yet, compared to other forms of gaming, like f.x. MMORPG, the discussions here, trolls and all, feels like a mild refreshing breeze compared to the complete shitstorm one will find on SWTOR forums. But it is true that we should all be more civilized.

yeah the convoluted rules do not help for sure... that is a good point.

Still it always amazes me how the people the whinge and moan the most about rudeness are the rudest ones themselves. Oh they are happy as long as everything is done their way but if not they lash out like little pissy girls, make entire threads to attack other members.. it is pathetic., The world is a big place , lot of people do not share your aesthetics or choices.. be a man and take your licks or do as Tosh dose and do not engage. Simple as that.

Actually, I don't see any whining going on. I see you doing a lot of name calling and being very rude to people you'll never have to meet face to face.

Look, it's very simple. Most people, would like to be able to go online and talk about their favorite game and not get called pissy girls, or pathetic, or whatever. It's not about aesthetics, it's about respect. I don't think the point of this thread was to tell everyone that they need to agree, just that if you disagree, try to be respectful about it. I don't personally think that's too much to ask. The world is a big place, and you can't get far if you treat other people like garbage.

Anyway, I'm done. My opinion is recorded here for posterity. If I continue to see the same bad attitude from the same people, I'll just assume reason doesn't work and start blocking. I can excuse a slip once in a while, hell this post is me slipping a bit, but the consistent name calling is getting to be too much.

What? This entire thread is nothing but whining, and if you go though my posts you see i NEVER insult anyone directly or use race, sex, or any sort of personal attacks (well never is a strong word.. maybe sometimes.. but rarely). It is YOU (and others) that attack me.. and for what .. because I do not share your sentiments on how people should behave.

I speak EXACTLY like I do here in real life, and so dose everyone I know and for the record in "real life" no one would so blatantly call out others and try to publicly shame them or any of the other crap that goes on in this thread.. In real life and communities you choose to not interact with people you dislike.. not try to change them. It is like sending fags to jail because you do not like fags.. ridicules, absolutely ridicules.

Some people, especially yanks like to think that everything needs to be gentrified and censored so there is nothing left apart from what doesn't offend anyone. Maybe that is a byproduct of their insane gun laws.. still that is so ******* retarded I do not even know whereto start. The sheer idiocy of it boggles my mind.

This is the real world.. instead of stamping a foot down like a petulant 5 year old girl and making a big fuss cause the mean old misanthrope on the forum used words I do not like.. maybe try being an adult and realize that others may not share your sentiments, this is a community.. and like any community and a global one at that representing lost of ages and countries you need to accept others not control them. The sheer arrogance it takes to expect everyone to conform to a behavior that is deemed "acceptable" by a few vocal self important people is beyond me.

Edited by booored

It'sote name="booored" post="1028301" timestamp="1395875053"]What? This entire thread is nothing but whining, and if you go though my posts you see i NEVER insult anyone directly or use race, sex, or any sort of personal attacks (well never is a strong word.. maybe sometimes.. but rarely). It is YOU (and others) that attack me.. and for what .. because I do not share your sentiments on how people should behave.

I speak EXACTLY like I do here in real life, and so dose everyone I know and for the record in "real life" no one would so blatantly call out others and try to publicly shame them or any of the other crap that goes on in this thread.. In real life and communities you choose to not interact with people you dislike.. not try to change them. It is like sending fags to jail because you do not like fags.. ridicules, absolutely ridicules.

Some people, especially yanks like to think that everything needs to be gentrified and censored so there is nothing left apart from what doesn't offend anyone. Maybe that is a byproduct of their insane gun laws.. still that is so ******* retarded I do not even know whereto start. The sheer idiocy of it boggles my mind.

This is the real world.. instead of stamping a foot down like a petulant 5 year old girl and making a big fuss cause the mean old misanthrope on the forum used words I do not like.. maybe try being an adult and realize that others may not share your sentiments, this is a community.. and like any community and a global one at that representing lost of ages and countries you need to accept others not control them. The sheer arrogance it takes to expect everyone to conform to a behavior that is deemed "acceptable" by a few vocal self important people is beyond me.

This is about what I expected.

Truth Hurts...

Its almost funny considering his signature. Almost.