Aetaos’Rau’Keres

By TheArchitectOfFate, in Deathwatch House Rules

Hi. I'm a new-ish GM, and so far the Campaign I have going is pretty swell. I've been thinking ahead about the Final Boss I wanted to throw at the players.

In the campaign, the Alpha Legion are planning to open up a string of warp rifts along the Jericho Reach using ancient xenos technology. I thought about throwing a Lord of Change at the group as a Final Boss, but then I thought by that point, the threat may be difficult but not very challenging for the group to handle.

So, using the rules for a Lord of Change, I created a profile for Aetaos'Rau'Keres, and wondered if I could get some constructive criticism. My main concern is if it would be impossible to face for a group of 6 that would be around Rank 6-8.

Aetaos’Rau’Keres

WS 72 BS 92 S 82 (16) T 82 (21) Ag 62 Int 81 (24) Per 70 WP 92 (18) Fel 24

Movement: 8/16/24/48

Wounds: 270

Skills: Awareness (Per) +20, Blather (Fel) +20, Ciphers (All) (Int) +20, Command (Fel) +20, Common Lore (All) (Int) +20, Charm (Fel) +20, Deceive (Fel) +20, Dodge (Ag), Forbidden Lore (All) (Int) +20, Intimidate (S) +20, Logic (Int) +20, Psyniscience (Per) +20, Scholastic Lore (All) (Int) +20, Scrutiny (Per) +20, Search (Per), Speak Language (All known languages) +20.

Talents: Blademaster, Combat Master, Lightning Attack, Resistance (Psychic Powers), Swift Attack, Strong Minded.

Traits: Daemonic, †Daemonic Presence (TB 21), Dark Sight, Fear 4 (Terrifying), Flyer (10), From Beyond, Size (Massive), The Stuff of Nightmares, Improved Natural Weapons (Claws and Beak), Unnatural Strength (x2), Unnatural Intelligence (x3), Unnatural Willpower (x2), Warp Instability.

Daemonic Presence: All those within 30 metres of a Lord of Change realise that they are merely the playthings of capricious gods, beginning to doubt their every conviction. All characters suffer a –20 penalty to Willpower Tests in the area.

Weapons: Claws and Beak (Natural Weapons; 1d10+12 R; Tearing), Staff of Cataclysm (3d10+14 I; Tearing, Warp Weapon).

Special Rules

Master of Plotters: All Daemons of Tzeentch are master schemers, their very essence a primal form of deceit and treachery, and the Lords of Change are the greatest masterminds of all. No matter the circumstances, a Lord of Change is always ready to turn the tables on its adversaries. Once per combat, the Lord of Change may add his Intelligence Bonus to any one Test.

Supreme Sorcerer: Aetaos’Rau’Keres knows all Psychic Powers from the Deathwatch Rulebook, Black Crusade Rulebook, and the Mark of Xenos Supplement (as appropriate) and may use them as if it had a Psy Rating of 10. Aetaos’Rau’Keres does not trigger any psychic phenomena.

Spawn of Fate: Lords of Change are the architects of destiny itself, capable of weaving together or severing the very strands of fate. Though a Lord of Change does not have access to Fate Points, whenever anyone in combat with one spends a Fate Point, the Lord of Change regains 1d10 lost Wounds. However, when an individual is forced to permanently burn a Fate Point in the presence of a Lord of Change, the Greater Daemon immediately suffers 2d10 wounds ignoring Toughness.

Chosen of Tzeentch: Aetaos’Rau’Keres has a force field of 50 that does not overload.

Riftbringer: At the end of every round, roll a 2d10. On a 16+, a unit of 2d10 Pink Horrors immediately spawn within 30 meters of Aetaos’Rau’Keres.

Soul Eater: This insane Demigod has a continual hunger for souls, which he satisfies in combat. Aetaos’Rau’Keres regenerates wounds equal to the number of wounds he inflicted per Round, after his turn is over.

Edited by TheArchitectOfFate

I suck at rules and calculating stuff so I will offer another piece of advice first.

There's absolutely no reason why they must face the Lord of Change alone. Really, give him a squad of two of Alpha Legionnaires, maybe a sorcerer or Champion, some cultists/mutants/traitors/whatever and lesser daemons and most importantly - try to kill them! Use the most effective and devious tactics that you can imagine against them and don't pull punches. I mean it. Work to kill their characters. That way the combat can also be more tactically challenging for the players rather than just smashing down on a single big baddie.

That way you wouldn't need an über-powerful daemon but can use a lesser daemon and still provide a challenge for them,

What however strikes me when I look at this daemon is that it don't feel really Tzeentchian to me in that its a combat monster on pair with something that Khorne would throw on them. My personal feel is to downplay the daemon's physical combat stats and instead focus more on its sorcerous powers and maybe allow it to give some form of benefits to hordes and elites that are with it? For example WS 92 and a SB of 24 feels a bit much to me for a Lord of Change. Maybe WS 70-something and maybe 15 or so with SB.

Otherwise it looks good and I like most of its special rules.

But then again I've yet to throw an enemy of this power level at my players so I could totally be in the blind here.

Edited by Gurkhal

Typically, Tzeentchian daemons have a higher BS than WS. Just something to consider.

I agree that you should definitely be emphasizing the greater daemon as a plotter and user of tools first and foremost. If you want to hit them with a combat monster, hit them with a Bloodthirster supported by a phalanx or two of Bloodletters.