Playing 200 games in a year (or at least trying to)

By silverthorn, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

GAME 48 - JOURNEY DOWN THE ANDUIN (NIGHTMARE)

Heroes: Aragorn (Lore), Beravor & Glorfindel. Elladan, Elrohir & Legolas.

This was a bloodbath. I had to kill four Hill Trolls and lost Aragorn, Beravor and Legolas in the effort. Regardless I managed to complete the quest in thirteen turns, Legolas's team winning 137 to Aragon's teams 145.

GAME 49 - ESCAPE FROM DOL GOLDUR (NIGHTMARE)

Heroes: Elrond, Glorfindel (Spirit) & Mirlonde. Elladan, Elrohir & Legolas

This was another bloodbath, every hero had at least two wounds by the end of the game and both decks threat levels were over 45 when I gambled on playing everyone with any Willpower in order to beat the final Quest Phase. The game was over by turn eight with team Elrond scoring 131 to team Legolas's 134.

Edited by silverthorn

I'm using a deck made from the brothers and spirit Glorfindel. I'm enjoying it and have gotten 12 games down. Thanks for the inspiration.

If/when I start playing two handed again I think I'll try putting legolas in with the brothers, seems like it would work well.

Edited by ZanzibarLand

Legolas is probably the most constant hero in the decks I've been playing with (especially since I got my hands on Rivendell Blade) because he's the only (for lack of a better term) fighter hero who can contribute to questing without needing extra cards (although Blade of Gondolin is a nice bonus), unless I missed someone. I'm a little less gung-ho about Elladan and Elrohir after one of them was made prisoner in Escape from Dol Goldur and crippled my questing ability.

GAME 49 - ESCAPE FROM DOL GOLDUR (NIGHTMARE)

Heroes: Elrond, Glorfindel (Spirit) & Mirlonde. Elladan, Elrohir & Legolas

This was another bloodbath, every hero had at least two wounds by the end of the game and both decks threat levels were over 45 when I gambled on playing everyone with any Willpower in order to beat the final Quest Phase. The game was over by turn eight with team Elrond scoring 131 to team Legolas's 134.

Just tried this with the two handed decks I posted... Got Loragorn as the prisoner but still lost brutally...... had ungoliants spawn, the new spider that gets surge if there are unclaimed clues and the treachery that makes every player discard all but 2 cards as the first three encounter cards guarding the objectives so I knew there was very little chance of victory from the start...... very very brutal start. I then went on to fight chieftain Uftak and kill him as well as ungoliants spawn and the other spider, kept control somewhat over locations and thought I may actually come back from the terrible start but then I copped a Torture Chamber and another location followed by another Torture Chamber and a Torture Master in the one go and the prisoner was killed.... was only 1 quest point away from clearing the chamber that went to 3 resources too.....

I beat most of the other nightmare decks I've played so far first or second try but this one is just crazy hard.... looks like it may take a little while, so many nasty nightmare cards.....

Edited by PsychoRocka

I decided to try and build two decks around themes and keep to the basic themes on all the quests (accounting for the fact that some of the heroes in one of the decks historically don't make it past the Battle of Five Armies).

GAME 50 (Woop! A quarter of the way to my target) - WE MUST AWAY 'ERE BREAK OF DAY:

Heroes - The Dwarves: Balin, Nori & Thorin Oakenshiled.

Heroes - The Elves: Elrond, Legolas & Mirlonde.

The two decks seemed to gel well together. The high-spot of the game being the Elves killing one of the Trolls on the turn that the Dwarves had ground another to one wound then using Mighty Prowess to kill the Dwarf-fodder Troll. All the heroes survived (although a whole load of allies died) and all the booty was captured. The game lasted 7 turns and the Dwarves won 89 points to 92.

GAME 51 - ACROSS THE MISTY MOUNTAINS GRIM

I hit massively lucky with opening hands, pulling Vilya from the Elf deck and Steward of Gondor and Unexpected Courage from the Dwarf deck. Aftet Nori received the Stewardship and played Unexpected Courage on Elrond carrying Vilya I was churning out cards on the Elven side with Dwarves just behind. By the time the game was won on turn 8 I was running out of space to put all the allies in play. Again, the Dwarves squeeked a win through 108 to the Elves 109.

GAME 53 - DUNGEONS DEEP AND CAVERNS DIM

Another win, despite the fact that both decks seemed to be running slower than normally. I hit lucky with Bilbo riddling and managed to get past Phase 2 in three turns, countering the lack of Allies coming into play for the Dwarves. All in all a lucky win in five turns with the Elves winning by 89 points to 92.

GAME 54 - SPIDERS AND FLIES

I managed to scrape a win by the narrowest of margins (mostly due to my once again putting Mighty Prowess on Legolas and racking up extra wounds aplenty on the huge number of spiders).

GAME 55 - THE LONELY MOUNTAIN

Once again, a win by a flukey margin.

GAME 56 - THE BATTLE OF FIVE ARMIES

This was brutal. I lost Legolas, Balin, Nori & Elrond before I managed to complete the campaign. Now to rebuild my Dwarf deck (since half the heroes are supposed to be dead by the time the next lot of scenarios begin).

Mighty prowess seems to be working well for you.

Congrats on your quarter mark. Looks like you'll be hitting your goal sooner rather than later.

I managed to get through fifty games a lot faster than I expected (even before I hit a big delay a couple of months ago). I'm trying to work out a pair of Elf-heavy decks suitable for the The Dark Riders quests without going for a all-Hobbit deck. I'm guessing on something Ranger-related (with Loragorn) and a elf-heavy deck (probably with the brothers).

Now, I play LotR LCG for 6 Months - and I play 221 Games....

So 200 in a year is no problem at all! ;)

GAME 57 - PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD (AGAIN AND AGIN)

Heroes: Aragorn (Lore) Eowyn & Glorfindel (Spirit) and Elladan, Elrohir & Legolas.

This game was over in five turns (due to a combination of Sword that was Broken on Aragorn and Ally Faramir's bonus as well as several allies meaning that Aragorn's team quested for 26 on turn five, steam-rollering that Phase 3B which doesn't involve Ungoliant's Spawn. The scores were a draw at 81 points each.

Holy moley, 221 games in six months. That's enough to make me think "Whoah, dude!".

Holy moley, 221 games in six months. That's enough to make me think "Whoah, dude!".

Thanks! The secret ist more playing, less TV.....

Edited by joezim007

For me, the secret would be to leave my family and my job. I don't watch tv so that won't accomplish much. I don't think the trade is good for me.

That would be a bad trade!

When the kids are in bed and my wife ist watching TV, I occupy the dinertable and play 2 to 3 games solo.

GAME 58 - JOURNEY DOWN THE ANDUIN (NIGHTMARE)

Heroes: Aragorn (Lore) Eowyn & Glorfindel (Spirit) and Elladan, Elrohir & Legolas.

Completed, although the all-Elf team hit 50 threat the turn before the end of the game. Despite the heavy mob getting side-lined Aragorn's team managed to complete the game in 7 turns with a total of six damage on the heroes. The final score was 113.

GAME 59 - ESCAPE FROM DOL GOLDUR (MIGHTMARE)

Completed, with Legolas as the prisoner. As seems to be the norm for EFDG it was a 10 turn slog where the easiest part was dealing with the Nazgul (multiple Ranged attackers from Legolas's deck attacking the Nazgul, along with a Blade of Rivendell and Legolas shooting it with the Black Arrow killed it). In the end, the final scores were 131 for Aragorn's team to 141 for Legolas's team (due to a last turn use of Aragorn's ability).

GAME 60 - HUNT FOR GOLLUM (NIGHTMARE)

This went well with a early Asfaloth allowing for accelerated disposal of the large number of Locations which came up in play. The quest was completed in eight turns with Aragorn's team winning by 114 points to Legolas's team's 118.

Do you manage to sneak a loragon threat reset in just before the end or do you typically use it during the game?

Edited by ZanzibarLand

I tend to use it either at the end (if I'm pretty sure the game's nearly beat) or when Loragorn is low on Wounds (in case he cops it before I can use it).

GAME 61 - CONFLICT AT THE CARROCK (NIGHTMARE)

This game was won in seven turns due to the brave sacrifice of all the allies who I let the Trolls dispose of whilst most of the heroes ground down enough Trolls to win. Rivendell Bows turned out to be as useful as I had expected and the game was won by Aragorn's team by 91 points to 100.

GAME 62 - A JOURNEY TO RHOSGOBEL (NIGHTMARE)

I swapped out the Gandalf's in Aragorn's deck for three copies of Radagast and it pretty much meant nothing. By the end of turn five I was barely saved by using all the healers I had in play to keep the Eagle's wounds low enough that three copies of Athelas healed him completely. All in all a win with Aragorn's team winning by 77 points to Legolas's teams 83.

GAME 63 - THE HILLS OF EMYN MULL (NIGHTMARE)

This was my first attempts at the Nightmare mode versions of the last three Shadows of Mirkwood quests. This was won due to Legolas killing a Tunnelling Nameless Thing using a Black Arrow (admittedly with assistance from one of the Brothers) the putting the Progress on Ruaros Falls to complete it. The three VP for Ruaros Falls added to the one VP from Black Arrow gave me the winning VP's. After 10 turns the scores were 125 for Aragorn's team versus 128 for Legolas's team.

GAME 64 - THE DEADLY MARSHES (NIGHTMARE)

This was won due to an advanced amount of jamminess. On turn 6 I completed stage 3B with 6 resources on Gollum after using Legolas's team to provide the one progress I needed. After using a card from each deck to bolster Eowyn's Willpower I came up to a total of 17 Willpower. The Escape Test's total came to 16. In the end the scores were 92 for Aragorn's team versus 96 for Legolas's team.