Was so excited but now am sad. :(

By Senf, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

When I saw 40K LCG on the main page I was so psyched. But then started to read and found out the game was like Net runner not LotR. :(

I understand Netrunner is a good game and I am sure this will be too but CO-OP is what we play around here. So much more fun.

He is hoping they some day make an expansion that adds new rules to make it a cooperative game.

Signed.

There is enough competition all day long;)

Go go coop!

does not appear to be even remotely like netrunner?

Nothing like Netrunner. And co-op for 40K would be bad.

Like net runner in it is 1 on 1 competitive play. I am an extremely none competitive person. If anyone at the table has to lose then I feel like I am losing as well. I want to all work together to over come the challenge of the game. Building up awesome combos is fun when it is just against the game. When you do it against another person then they have a bad time and that sucks.

I understand the setting would provide challenges to making it a Co-Op game. But I trust FF to be good enough game designers to come up with something plausible enough to work. And honestly even if it goes against lore a little bit but makes a good game I am totally fine with is. There are plenty of times in LotR that the game play comes before lore and sure you can make jokes about it a bit but it does not really matter. Having Elrond in the party to take Arewyn to see her father is not very sensible but so what?

They could make it work and it would be awesome.

Point is 40K is a cool setting and they could explain it well enough I think. Keep the same faction rules for decks that they have right now, And you can even put some complications if you have two decks from very different groups on the same mission.

Well they already have a 40k coop card game, if that is what you're looking for. Just not an lcg..

If it resembles any FFG LCG I would say it would be Cthulhu

I think the OPs point was that there should be another cooperative LCG. I agree. I love LOTR. But I don't think 40K is the theme for cooperation. In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

I'm sure someone on boardgamegeek or somewhere will kludge something together in time. My opinion is the same as it is for multiplayer rules -- you really have to design something with the game mode in mind from the jump for it to work, and that's clearly not the case here.

Would rather they focus on making this the best 1v1 game they can rather than diluting the release schedule with multi, co-op and solo rules.

There are other LCGs for coop, and other 40k games for coop.

Orks and Imps can Allie? That a little strange.

No it's actually not. Orks have worked as mercenaries for humans and also will use their equipment. There is an entire Ork clan based on parts of Imperial culture.

It really isn't if you are familiar with the fluff material. The oddest is actually Dark Eldar and chaos seeing as the whole point of the dark eldar is running from the chaos they accidentally created as part of the fall of the Eldar

I think the word alliance is being used too literally here. Maybe "manipulate" would be a better term. The Dark Eldar are an aroggant species, and would think nothing of using Chaos if it furthered their ends.

I think the word alliance is being used too literally here. Maybe "manipulate" would be a better term. The Dark Eldar are an aroggant species, and would think nothing of using Chaos if it furthered their ends.

Yeah "manipulate" is better.

Yeah, looks a lot more like Call of Cthulhu where each player as to battle for a planet (story in CoC).

LCGs IMO are made for competitive play. LOTR is good but there's something missing that the others don't.

It's a matter of taste though and I can understand you not liking competitive games.

You could check Relic maybe? It's competitive but with minimal player interaction. It.s more like a race for which player will find a relic and go to the center to complete the quest. It's a great game btw!

Yeah, was hoping for a solo mode to match LotR. Oh well, maybe the next LCG...

No it's actually not. Orks have worked as mercenaries for humans and also will use their equipment. There is an entire Ork clan based on parts of Imperial culture.

Oh I did not know that. Still strange though.

Space Hulk: Death Angel is Co-Op. If you're looking for Co-Op with a 40k theme.

For something as big as an LCG though, I'm afraid Co-Op would just go to much against what 40k is. Besides, who do you make the enemies? The Orks? Tyranids? Chaos? Necrons? Too many people love these factions and are going to want to play as them, not against them.

But I'll echo your main sentiment, I'd love to see more Co-Op/Solo LCG's. I don't have a lot of time on my hands right now to meet up and play games, so things I can play in my own time, by myself, are well appreciated.

Space Hulk: Death Angel is Co-Op. If you're looking for Co-Op with a 40k theme.

For something as big as an LCG though, I'm afraid Co-Op would just go to much against what 40k is. Besides, who do you make the enemies? The Orks? Tyranids? Chaos? Necrons? Too many people love these factions and are going to want to play as them, not against them.

But I'll echo your main sentiment, I'd love to see more Co-Op/Solo LCG's. I don't have a lot of time on my hands right now to meet up and play games, so things I can play in my own time, by myself, are well appreciated.

Edited by Light Bright

When I saw 40K LCG on the main page I was so psyched. But then started to read and found out the game was like Net runner not LotR. :(

I understand Netrunner is a good game and I am sure this will be too but CO-OP is what we play around here. So much more fun.

He is hoping they some day make an expansion that adds new rules to make it a cooperative game.

I'm super happy that they didn't ruin the W40k LCG by making it some lame, wimpy co-op game. Thank GAWD!

"I'm super happy that they didn't ruin the W40k LCG by making it some lame, wimpy co-op game. Thank GAWD!"

messed up the quote sorry

It makes me sad to know that most Warhammer people are folks like this. Very hardcore with little room to consider what other people like. But I understand why the fluff was written the way it is. The tabletop game is a 1 on 1 competitive game and they are making a setting where there are many many battles and making sure everyone hates each other so what ever army your opponent has it still makes sense.

So I will rephrase and say I really hope FF or some other company can put out another game like LotR soon. I love the complexity of the deck buildings and the variety of play with all the scenarios to do along with the Cooperative nature of the game. And I hope it is done in a setting that I enjoy as much as 40K. LotR is an ok setting but not really one I am very into.

And yes I have both Relic and Death Angel, both of which are good games, but they don't have the depth. You can only play them now and then and the game will be fairly similar each time you play. Still good but not on the same level as LotR is.

There is only one other game that I think is kind of comparable to LotR. It does not have the customization of the deck buildings. But does have tons of variety in both what you play and what you play against and is Co-Op. And that is Sentinels of the Multiverse. Which I highly recommend to anyone that enjoys Co-Op games at all.

Edited by Senf

"I'm super happy that they didn't ruin the W40k LCG by making it some lame, wimpy co-op game. Thank GAWD!"

messed up the quote sorry

It makes me sad to know that most Warhammer people are folks like this. Very hardcore with little room to consider what other people like. But I understand why the fluff was written the way it is. The tabletop game is a 1 on 1 competitive game and they are making a setting where there are many many battles and making sure everyone hates each other so what ever army your opponent has it still makes sense.

So I will rephrase and say I really hope FF or some other company can put out another game like LotR soon. I love the complexity of the deck buildings and the variety of play with all the scenarios to do along with the Cooperative nature of the game. And I hope it is done in a setting that I enjoy as much as 40K. LotR is an ok setting but not really one I am very into.

And yes I have both Relic and Death Angel, both of which are good games, but they don't have the depth. You can only play them now and then and the game will be fairly similar each time you play. Still good but not on the same level as LotR is.

There is only one other game that I think is kind of comparable to LotR. It does not have the customization of the deck buildings. But does have tons of variety in both what you play and what you play against and is Co-Op. And that is Sentinels of the Multiverse. Which I highly recommend to anyone that enjoys Co-Op games at all.

I'm with you, I'd like more co-op LCG's. But I also understand the sentiment form Wytefang. Co-Op in a 40k themed game would be a little forced, if you are including any number of the factions people want to play. The problem is the order and chaos factions all have ardent fans. If you made one of them the 'enemy' faction, you'd chase off half of the 40k fanbase, and let's be honest, if this game is going to succeed, it will be on the sholders of that fan base.

I for one would hate it if the Orcs or Necrons were forced to be the baddies, and I had to play as Space Marines... Don't get me wrong, I like the Space Marines, but Orc's are my first love in 40k.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

I am of mixed thought. While I completely think this should be a duel game... I would also like a new Co-Op / Solo game like LoTR... but just not for this IP.

yeah a co-op game like LoTR but not tolkien and using its lessons to fix all the mega amount of stuff wrong with that game would be very good.

In the grim dark future, there is only co-operation!

Seriously, I don't think the theme is a good fit for that.

But tell you what, you can have your co-operative 40K game with Orks and Eldar exchanging hugs right after I get my competitive Tolkien LCG so I can build a Witch King deck and go smash some rotten hobbitses. Deal?

Edited by dboeren