What we know / What we Suspect

By TragicTheBlathering, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

So what do we know?

I'll edit this original post with new or corrected info.

So what do we know?

I'll edit this original post with new or corrected info.

cato-warlord.png

- Each player uses a "hero" unit. This is much like a ID in ANR. Has special powers and dictates hand size and initial card draw. Unlike ANR it is a full unit and must commit to battle each turn. If it dies, your opponent wins. There was mention of retreat mechanisms so you can keep him alive even with the force commit. The 7/7 on these cards are hand and resource. I am assuming the orange 7 is hand size.

WHK01-cardfan-03.png

- Each leader is a set squad (8 Cards). Kind of like a Star Wars PoD. So putting in a leader also adds other cards to the deck. After that though it is singles as per normal. So only the hero and its associated cards are "PoDs".

- This could indicate 2 things. 1, the heroes squad is forever linked to a hero. It appears there is a small icon above the faction symbol that might indicate a unit is part of a hero squad. Then we also have normal "loose" cards for deck building as we choose. The other option is that all cards are released as squads but you are only forced to include all squad members if you use the associated hero, otherwise you can mix as normal.

- There is no proof of card counts for the game. All we know is a Hero has 1 card and his squad makes 8 and can have multi copies. Looking at the spoiler it is easy to think 2 of each, but it could well be 3 of two cards and 2 of 2 cards for a total of 8.

WHK01-chart-alliance-white.png

- The faction wheel is pretty neat.. any faction can pair with the faction adjacent. From the 2 adjacent factions you may only choose one. (lame) Also the "base" faction that you work out adjacency form is the faction of your hero unit.

WH40K-layout.png

- There seams to be something similar to the story deck in Call of Cthulhu to represent the battlefield of the planets in the contested system the game is set. These appear to be separate to the player decks, again like in Cthulhu and are delt into a row of "battlefields". It is my hope that the same planet may have different battlefields as time goes on. This will give the sector a cohesive feel and add to the theme, as Planets will become "real" places in the players mind. If every planet card is unique then this will not happen.

- You may commit to any planet in the row delt out but only the left most (Player 1's left) will be resolved and any planet with a hero committed. Then the plants resolve in order. So going first will be a big deal as you dictate the battle order. I would expect cards to appear that allow you to futz with the battle order.. skipping or w/e. There is a lot about this area of the game we do not know. Are these cards removed after they resolve, do they stay there, if removed do they shift before being redelt, if the 1st planet is 1, are they numbered to 5 for order resolution.. etc etc

- I am still unclear here, but resources appear to not regen, but instead you have a pool that you can increase and persists bewteen turns.. kind of like ANR. At the end of all the battles you gain 4 resources (and 2 cards)

- Card draw is though effects, there is no default draw each turn. This is sorta mute though as after ALL battles are resolved in a turn all players draw 2 cards (and gain 4 credits)

WHK01-card-iridial.png

- The planets seam to have 2 different struggles. Command and Combat. The three icons at the top represent that planet’s strategic value, whether military, economic, or technological. The first player to conquer 3 Planets with 3 matching symbols wins.

barlus-planet.png

osus-iv-planet.png

- There are two struggles at a planet. Battle and Command. The rewards for these are on the base of the planet cards. The numbers in the icons are for Command and you gain there effects when you win the command struggle. The square card looking shape means draw X cards, the number in the cog looking shape means gain X resources. Any hero at a location without another hero auto wins command (We think this auto win happens even if your oponant has other units at the location with command points?)

- The Battle rewards are printed in the text box and trigger for the victor (lone survivor, or oponant retreats)

WHK01-card-soulgrinder.png nazdreg-warlord.png

- The combat resolution itself seams to consist of 2 steps. Command and Battle. Command seams to consisted of comparing a single number for Command, whom ever has the higher total wins the command step. Each Hero has a GOLD hammer we think is the command symbol. All the other units have small silver hammer and these are suspected of standing for 1 command each. The Spoiled cards of the Demon has 2 hammers for example for 2 command points. There is also attack and health values on each unit that resolve a different struggle, the combat itself. Top number is attack, bottom health

- Battles resolve on the "1st" planet.. and also at the planets where the Warlords are deployed.

- You have the combat. Each unit attacks and exhausts. The attacker can choose the defender (wow, that is HUGE!!). There appears to be no defense value, and as yet we do not know if a "destroyed" unit is instantly removed or if it has a chance to send damage back before being removed. The council and the demon spoiled unit cards for example the council has 4 health and the demon has 4 attack. So if the attacker is the demon and chooses the council.. it could be removed with no chance to fight back. So attacker picking the target could be a big thing, After all units are exhausted they all ready and the combat round continues as before. This happens until one side is destroyed or one side retreats. There is talk that retreating is limited to command units, but I am unsure on this. It seams any unit can retreat after the 1st forced combat round.

- Wounds seam to be persistent between combat struggles. So after all combat rounds wounds stay even after you retreat to command.

- After the all battles are complete each player gains 2 cards and 4 resources. This seams to hint that battle resolution can occur in more than one planet.

- The command struggle seams separate. You may win the command and loose the battle. It is the command struggle that triggers the planet effect and the battle keyword is triggered by a win during the battles. I am unclear here and awaiting the rule book, but this could be very cool allowing players to send weak units to snipe command gains but retreat out of combat for the zone.

- The command struggle occurs before the combat and awards the value of either resources or card draw depending on the location. These values are the large numbers on the card. Resources are on the right of the card in a circle, card draw is on the left in the rectangular card shaped symbol.

- Eric Lang is once again lead designer (Call of Cthulhu, A Game of Thrones, Star Wars and Warhammer : Invasion)

- The game will run a 50 card deck. We are assuming the "Hero" card is not included. So you have 42 cards to deck build per deck. 8 for the squad = 50 and 1 for the Hero = 51.

WHK01-card-140.png

- There is a discard mechanism for "shields" to protect units. We do not know much about it.. but there is s suspicion this is only for certain units and it is this little icon above the faction icon that denotes this ability.. This is a guess. (note this guy has 1 hammer, that we think means 1 command point)

Looks like there is a limit ot how many images I can use in a single thread and I didn't think to reserve a 2nd post! Sorry guys.

Click to see a Servo Skull

- After players have completed deploying normal units there is a additional deployment phase that is secret of just the warlords. You select the planet you wish to deploy to by spinning the dial to the planet number and then each player flips this over at the same time and Warlords commit at the same time. (A cool card would be a way to change commitment after reveal)

Edited by TragicTheBlathering

My comments below in bold color :

- Each player uses a "hero" unit. This is much like a ID in ANR. Has special powers and dictates deck size and initial card draw. Unlike ANR it is a full unit and must commit to battle each turn. If it dies, your oponant wins. There was mention of retreat mechanisms so you can keep him alive even with the force commit, and I am assuming that your natural units might also be able to do this for in the spoiler it says the leader unit gets some kind of "bonus" in this.

Nothing I've seen suggests minimum deck size is variable, or related to your warlord in any way -- there isn't anything on the displayed Warlord cards that could be a deck size number.

- The faction wheel is pretty neat.. any faction can pair with the faction adjacent. As assume you can not chain factions, you can only take the 2 adjacent to the faction of your hero unit.

Not only can you not chain factions, you must choose only *one* faction to ally with. So, a Guard deck can take Ork allies or Space Marine allies, but not both.

- There seams to be something similar to the story deck in Call of Cthulhu to represent the battlefield of the planets in the contested system the game is set. These appear to be separate to the player decks, again like in Cthulhu and are delt into a row of "battlefields". It is my hope that the same planet may have different battlefields as time goes on. This will give the sector a cohesive feel and add to the theme, as Planets will become "real" places in the players mind. If every planet card is unique then this will not happen.

Product details indicate 10 planet cards distinct from the rest of the cards, so you're probably right about the Cthulhu story deck similarity. My hope is that each big box features a new sector, and chapter packs (whatever they're called) add planets, so the story deck changes each cycle.

- You may commit to any planet in the row delt out but only the left most (Player 1's left) will be resolved. Then the plants resolve in order. So going first will be a big deal as you dictate the battle order. I would expect cards to appear that allow you to futz with the battle order.. skipping or w/e.

Order of resolution is unclear (same with order of play generally). They refer to them as first, second, etc., but that doesn't mean they resolve in that order. It may also be that after the first planet is conquered, 2nd becomes 1st, 3rd becomes 2nd, and the last (5th) planet is replaced from deck. Could have nothing to do with resolution order, which is just as likely to be determined by one of the players, or they take turns choosing, or something.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, one of the pages mentions that you don't resolve a battle at all, except in three cases: the 1st planet, and any planet where a Warlord is deployed.

Command struggles do take place at each planet, but the article seems to indicate that there are no actions here -- you simply tally the command icons present and claim the cards/resources from the planet. This could all be simultaneous, though to save confusion it probably is "in order."

- Each planet has special abilities, that I assume is a instant after battle completion. These are themed as "spoils of war" and are themed to the planet the battlefield is on. Card draw, resources and the like are earned though these cards. There is no word on resource acceleration yet but we do know that one of the spoiled leaders has resources on it. So I expect there will be other cards that are not locations.

Each player also gets a fixed amount. 4 resources and 2 cards, IIRC, at the end of each turn. The "Battle" abilities can be triggered when (and only when) you win a battle at that location, but I don't believe you need to conquer the planet. So (speculating) it seems like if there's a planet ability that's particularly helpful for you, you can deploy your warlord there each turn, fight and hopefully win the battle, and trigger the ability. Of course, throwing your Warlord at a world you aren't conquering each turn strictly for its ability seems like a high price.

- The combat itself seams to consisted of comparing a single number. for Command, yet there is also attack and defence values on each unit. So I think there is in fact 2 struggles at the planets.

Yes. You do command struggles first at each planet, which determine how many cards you draw and how many resources you gain (based on the contested planet) before you deploy units in preparation for the actual battle phases. Other than that, the command struggle has no influence on the actual battle for a planet, as far as I can tell (barring, of course, card abilities that trigger off winning a command struggle).

- I am extrapolating here, but the command struggle seams separate. You may win the command and loose the battle.

Yes.

It is the command struggle that triggers the battle keyword.

No. Winning a battle triggers the battle keyword. If the planet is also the 1st planet (the only one that can be conquered each turn), you also claim the planet card.

Winning the command struggle ONLY gets you the resources and card draw on a planet.

Also note that if your Warlord is the only one present at a planet you automatically win the command struggle at that planet.

I am unclear here and awaiting the rule book, but this could be very cool allowing players to send weak accounts to snipe command abilities but retreat out of combat for the zone. Still I am not 100% sure on this.

Not clear on how retreating works, or if it works at all for non-Warlord cards. That being said, since you can use your Warlord to force a battle at a planet other than the 1st planet (and your warlord's depoyment is chosen in secret before you deploy the rest of your forces and only revealed at the end), there are certainly opportunities to launch preemptive battles at forces your opponent deploys in order to win command struggles.

It also sounds as if you can mass forces at the 2nd-5th planets in preparation for when they become the 1st planet, if indeed this is how the planets work (as implied by the discussion of fighting the battle in the present vs. preparing for battle in the future). And of course, in response to such tactics, you can, rather than send your Warlord to fight for the first planet, give up the first planet and send your Warlord to crush your opponents beach head on future planets, securing an advantage.

- This is confusing as the Command Struggle and the Battle sections in the description page BOTH talk about triggering the planet tile. Thoughts?

As mentioned above, the command struggle triggers card draw and resources. A battle triggers the Battle: ability (at the winner's option).

- The wounds are removed at the end of a battle.. (not each round). This occurs regardless of if the player triggers the planet ability or not.

Where are you getting this? Wounds appear to persist. There's a specific planet (Iridial) that's previewed that allows you to remove wounds from one unit when you win a battle at Iridial specifically. That ability would be useless if it were a general rule that wounds are removed at the end of a battle.

I also speculate that there's going to be some mechanism to decide who is the first player each turn, but that this will be a double edged sword. It could be by passing a chit back and forth, but it could also be something tied to the cards, such as total command icons on the table or something.

As for the double-edged sword part, for example, the first player has to deploy first, giving his opponent information to adjust his strategy. But when battle comes, the first player also gets to strike first.

Nothing I've seen suggests minimum deck size is variable, or related to your warlord in any way -- there isn't anything on the displayed Warlord cards that could be a deck size number.

Yeah that is a typo.. should be HAND size.. not DECK size.. will fix that... nice find.

Not only can you not chain factions, you must choose only *one* faction to ally with. So, a Guard deck can take Ork allies or Space Marine allies, but not both.

That is exactly what I said.. I'll rephrase it so it is more clear.

Product details indicate 10 planet cards distinct from the rest of the cards, so you're probably right about the Cthulhu story deck similarity. My hope is that each big box features a new sector, and chapter packs (whatever they're called) add planets, so the story deck changes each cycle.

Yeah, though I hope they think about having more battlefields on the SAME planets.. rather than different planets each time... as this will create a "world space" for the game... if they are all random.. the planets will have no meaning... Also it could be to much to have new planets / battlefields every cycle. I think it will be either like CoC and a planet pack that lasts for a while (allowing deck construction for those planets to aid competitive play) or 1 maybe 2 planets will be added each pack and then the player have some kind of deck building rule for the plant deck.. though I doubt this.

arrg,... stupid work is calling me.. gotta get off the net rofl!

Heh, well, given that they're "planet cards," I doubt if there will be multiple battlefields on any single planet. You never know, though. Edit: It could be that they introduce "battlefield" cards at some point that modify the conditions for a battle at the planet to which it is attached, but that would probably be something like "Dangerous Ground" or "Hive City Combat" so they could be played on any planet, rather than specific, named battlefields. In any case, I doubt if we'll see something like this in the core set.

Personally, I like the scope that it gives the game. 40k is an enormous setting in terms of the how much of the galaxy it spans, so much so that the campaign for an entire planet just a tiny blip in a galactic struggle, and the campaign for a sector (represented by a game of Conquest) is a very small part of a larger picture.

Getting down to individual battlefields seems like small ball to me.

Admittedly, this doesn't mesh well with the scale of the miniatures game, which is concerned with squad level tactics, but at the same time, that scope justifies why individual games of 40k are so meaningless in the larger scheme of things. Your space marines can beat your buddies chaos marines every single week, but since it's only 40 guys vs 40 guys, it doesn't impact the larger setting.

Edited by BD Flory

My comments below in bold color :

- The wounds are removed at the end of a battle.. (not each round). This occurs regardless of if the player triggers the planet ability or not.

Where are you getting this? Wounds appear to persist. There's a specific planet (Iridial) that's previewed that allows you to remove wounds from one unit when you win a battle at Iridial specifically. That ability would be useless if it were a general rule that wounds are removed at the end of a battle.

Your correct, I got confused.. it is a example of a battle trigger that clears the dmg from onw unit....

After a battle resolves, the winner reaps the spoils of war and has the opportunity to trigger the Battle ability of the planet. For example, winning a battle at Iridial allows you to remove all damage from a target unit.

I also speculate that there's going to be some mechanism to decide who is the first player each turn, but that this will be a double edged sword. It could be by passing a chit back and forth, but it could also be something tied to the cards, such as total command icons on the table or something.

As for the double-edged sword part, for example, the first player has to deploy first, giving his opponent information to adjust his strategy. But when battle comes, the first player also gets to strike first.

This could be very true.... I do not think we know yet.. but it is clear that "1st" player will have the ability at least to determin the inital battlefield. So you can win the toss, and set the other player to be first, making planet resolution right to left instead of left to right (from your perspective)

BUT... check this line...

Whether you trigger the Battle ability or not, if the battle took place at the first planet, the winner claims the planet, and any warlords and army units present return to your headquarters to await future battles.

Dose this mean that there are cards to select the battlefield you want to resolve outside the default "left of 1st player" or dose it mean that you only draw cards on the 1st planet revealed form the deck and that is abonus effec tthat only occours once?

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, one of the pages mentions that you don't resolve a battle at all, except in three cases: the 1st planet, and any planet where a Warlord is deployed.

Can you point to this I can not find the info on planets resolving if warlords are at it.. it seams to me they only resolve if they are the "1st" planet?

Dose this mean that there are cards to select the battlefield you want to resolve outside the default "left of 1st player" or dose it mean that you only draw cards on the 1st planet revealed form the deck and that is abonus effec tthat only occours once?

I'm not sure I follow the question. Card draw and resources are gained only from winning command struggles (in addition the default 4 resources and 2 cards you receive each turn, and card effects), not by winning battles. Battle abilities are only triggered by winning battles, not by winning command struggles (and again, it's possible a battle ability might be triggered by another card effect).

You resolve command struggles for each planet every turn.

You resolve battles only at the first planet, and any planet where a player has deployed their Warlord (ti's unclear in what order the battles resolve). You can resolve battle abilities at any of these battles that you win, but you can only conquer the first planet.

updated OP

Quotes are Tragic's:

"We are not sure i f the planet cards are evenb redelt or if the initial planets is a time limiter for the game."

I'm sure they're refreshed in some way. It'd be too easy to stalemate the game otherwise if you only played out the first five planets you dealt. You only win if you collect three icons of the same color, but not every planet has each color.

As an example, on the preview page sample setup, there are two reds, three blues, and three greens (I'm sure there are actual names for the different colors, but they escape me at the moment). If we each take one of each color, victory becomes impossible unless more planets are introduced in the course of play.

- I am still unclear here, but resources appear to not regen, but instead you have a pool that you can increase .. kind of like ANR.

- Card draw is though effects, there is no default draw each turn.

Resources do appear to persist turn to turn, as does your hand. There is however, a default draw of two cards every turn (and 4 resources) in addition to any you gain from command struggles and card effects.

"The combat itself seams to consisted of comparing a single number for Command, yet there is also attack and defense values on each unit that resolve a different struggle."

"combat" has nothing to do with the command struggle. all you do in the command struggle is tally command icons. As a side note, yes, some units have command icons. From the preview: " You and your opponent compare the number of command icons on their units at each planet."

If you look at the previewed unit cards, my guess is that command icons are the hammer icons, about halfway up the left side of each unit card, right above the attack number. Soul Grinder has 2, Tactical Squad [something] has 1, Kabalite Strike Force has 0.

"- The command struggle occurs before the combat and awards the value of either resources or card draw depending on the location. "

Winning the command struggle gives you the resources AND the card draw. Most seem to be 1 and 1, at least that we've seen. A few are 2 cards and 0 resources, or the reverse. It may be the case that some are worth more, but perhaps more dangerous to deploy to (a 2 and 2 might not allow retreat, for example), or conversely, worth less and less risky.

It also appears that the "norm" of 1+1=2 can be modified by the victory icons, as well. Iridial provides only 1 draw and no resources, but has all three victory icons.

That last being said about planets, it's worth noting that so far, all the planet text we've seen has been Battle: abilities. We haven't seen any planets that have ongoing restrictions, abilities, or keywords. Doesn't mean they aren't there, though.

Also I was thinking about the PoDs.. what if there are no individual cards? I think a really cool way would be that the only way we get new cards is in PoDs... but you only need all those cards if you use the leader that comes with the squad. Otherwise you can deck build as normal using singles. So for example, you get 8 cards with a PoD and that ultra marine looking guy... and you can deck build with any number of those cards.. but if you use the hero you have to use all 8 of those cards...

This way they can release PoDs every time.. and still keep the normal deck building... though 8+8 == 16.. so .. what some neutral maybe some planets to hit 20 cards in a pack?

Interesting thought -- squad based deck building, basically. I suppose it's possible, but if the concept were to be extended beyond just Warlords, I feel like the previews would have made mention.

For the moment, I'm assuming that each warlord comes in a pod of 8 cards, which form the spine of that deck, and can only be taken with that warlord. Outside of that, though, my guess is singles rule.

Still, anything's possible.

Edited by BD Flory

The question now becomes, 2 or 3 box sets to be competitive? :P

My guess is three. I think Star Wars was an exception, not the new rule.

Be nice if it were otherwise, but I'm not betting on it.

I am defiantly leading to 2xCores and 2 cards per title max.

Say every battlepack we got 2 new heroes. 2 Heroes in a battlpack == 18 cards (1 Hero +8 support) The spoiled pack is 4 unique support cards for the hero, so each one has 2 copies.... so lets say the game will only allow 2 cards per title, that leaves 1 neutral card per battle pack. for a total of 20 cards per battlepack which is the standard for all the other LCGs.

Seams like a good fit?

I don't think the Warlord pods will be a flat 4x2 distribution, or even necessarily consistent from one Warlord to the next. Note that the image of the space marine warlord is captioned with

Captain Cato Sicarius with four of the cards in his signature squad, some of which are duplicated.

Why specify there are four (rather than just "XX with the cards in his signature squad") unless there are more than four? Likewise, it specifies only that "some" are duplicated. Combined, it's implied that at least one of the cards we're shown isn't duplicated, and there's at least one card in his squad we haven't seen.

That said, since Warlords come with 8 cards (+1 for the warlord himself), that's 9 cards out of a pack spoken for, leaving 51 slots in a 60 card pack. 2 copies of each card leaves an odd card out. Could be a planet, I suppose. But I don't find it likely that they'll add planets in chapter packs.

On the other hand, if it's 9 cards for the Warlord + squad, and 17 individual cards x 3 copies, that's 60 cards on the nose. Because 9 and 60 are both divisible by 3, they could even play with the numbers a bit from pack to pack. Maybe 2 warlords (18 cards) and 3x copies of 14 other cards (42 cards). Were it my game to run, I'd make it one per pack, every pack.

As I said, I think the 2x rule was unique to star wars. From a game design standpoint, this allowed them to put multiple copies of a single card in a pod without winding up with 6 copies of something in a deck. Since this game isn't using pods outside of signature squads (as far as we know), that concern doesn't apply.

We don't know how many cards will be in the core set yet ("over two-hundred player cards split across seven factions"). It'd be neat if they included 2 per faction for some variety, but that'd be 126 cards. More likely it's one Warlord per faction in the core set (63 cards, total). Without the pod problem discussed above, there's no reason the rest of the box wouldn't be a mix of 3x, 2x, and 1x cards.

updated OP

That said, since Warlords come with 8 cards (+1 for the warlord himself), that's 9 cards out of a pack spoken for, leaving 51 slots in a 60 card pack. 2 copies of each card leaves an odd card out. Could be a planet, I suppose. But I don't find it likely that they'll add planets in chapter packs.

That is assuming it is a 60 card deck. It could be a 50 card deck like Star Wars and the Hero is not counted as part of the deck, like ANR dose not count the ID card?

WHK01-card-140.png

So the only icon not "solved" is the little yellow thing on this card above the faction icon.

WHK01-card-iridial.png

And the icons at the top of the planet cards.

That is assuming it is a 60 card deck. It could be a 50 card deck like Star Wars and the Hero is not counted as part of the deck, like ANR dose not count the ID card?

I was referring to battle packs, the way the cards are packaged, not player decks. There's no mention of expansions so far, so it's possible there won't be 60 card expansion packs, but big box expansions only seems like an exception for Cthulhu rather than the rule. Every other LCG has cycles of 6 60 card expansion packs with a big box to kick off each cycle.

I actually assume that player decks will be 50 cards. Most LCGs are 50 card deck minimums, and the limit is 3x in all of them except Star Wars. Netrunner's an exception with variable deck minimums, but still a 3x limit. Star Wars is another exception with a variable copy limit, but still a fifty card "player deck" (distinct from the 10 card objective deck).

oh i see what you mean... 7 factions... = 63 cards if you have all 7 in one battle pack. 6 Heroes = 54 cards.. and allows 2 neutrals at 2 copies each?

Sorry was having flash backs to early coc days when a ap was 20 cards lol

WHK01-card-140.png

So the only icon not "solved" is the little yellow thing on this card above the faction icon.

WHK01-card-iridial.png

And the icons at the top of the planet cards.

I think the small icon above the faction icon indicates either that the card is loyal (can't be taken as an ally) or is part of a signature squad -- notice that both of the cards in Cato's signature squad we can see have this icon.

edit: Nevermind, I think that little icon just means it's loyal. The numbers at the right of the text box, printed vertically along the right edge of the card, indicate that it's part of a signature squad. (squad #006, 5th card out of 9). Tau Gun Drones and Eldar Iyanden Wraithguard have the little yellow icon, but not the signature squad numbers.

The icons on the planet cards are the planet's assets. "Material" (red?), "Strongpoint" (green?), and "Tech" (blue?). You need to collect 3 of any one color by conquering planets in order to win the game.

"These symbols grant no abilities by themselves, but the first player to collect three planets sharing a common symbol dominates the sector and wins the game."

Edited by BD Flory

oh i see what you mean... 7 factions... = 63 cards if you have all 7 in one battle pack. 6 Heroes = 54 cards.. and allows 2 neutrals at 2 copies each?

Sorry was having flash backs to early coc days when a ap was 20 cards lol

Oh, god no, lol. That calculation was for the core box.

I think a battle pack will only have 1 hero, leaving 51 other cards available, which translates into 17 individual cards of 3 copies each.

I think the core box will have 1 Warlord per faction, for a total of 63 cards, and the rest of the core box will be a mix of 1s, 2s, and 3s. We don't know how many total cards are in the core box yet, just that it's over 200 player cards and 10 planet cards.