Take to the skies

By jimmer360, in BattleLore

The rules state that "when a player plays the take to the skies card he chooses a unit in a hex that a friendly ROC Warrior moved through". I need clarification of what "through" actually means? In this particular instance I was 2 VP away from winning when he used this card and moved his ROC warrior into a building with 2 VP on it and took my blood harvesters unit and placed it 2 hexes from the building. He ended his movement AT the building but never went THROUGH my unit. It ended up costing me the victory. Please clarify if we played this correctly.

Jim W.

Anybody care to weigh in?

Not so sure if I really get your question. Mind posting the wording on the "Take to the Skies" card as well? I won't be able to check the game until later, and I don't remember the specifics of the card.

I need to read the card again, I don't have it in front of me. However, the ROC warriors movement lets him ignore all land effects but it does not allow him to land on the same hex as another player. So the ROC warrior would not be allowed to end his movement on that hex with your unit. I believe that was an illegal move but again need to check the exact wording on the card.

I don't know what's not clear about the card. Through means through...and you said his Roc never moved through an hex with one of your unit but grabbed your unit anyways?

Plus the Roc can never end his movement on a hex with units, even if he meant to grab it.

Maybe a FAQ will clear out that question but from the looks of it it was an illegal move.

Sounds like the game was yours :)

Edited by SolennelBern

I don't know what's not clear about the card. Through means through...and you said his Roc never moved through an hex with one of your unit but grabbed your unit anyways?

Plus the Roc can never end his movement on a hex with units, even if he meant to grab it.

Maybe a FAQ will clear out that question but from the looks of it it was an illegal move.

Sounds like the game was yours :)

I agree. Take the Skies requires your Roc to end it's movement before you move the target enemy unit. Since a unit cannot end its movement on another unit, your friend played illegally.

The only way to go through a unit is to trace your movement from an adjacent hex, into the occupied hex, and then to an adjacent hex again. Any other definition either means you didn't go through (you went around) or you ended your movement in an occupied hex.

Seconded (all the others). The Take to the Skies card reads:

Play during your Move Step after a friendly Roc Warrior unit moves

After implies the Roc has finished its movement. It cannot end its movement on a hex containing a unit (reference guide, pag 4, under Flying , second bullet point).

So, no way that move could be considered legal, and you have won that game.

Thanks everyone. I thought that was the case. Learning more and more everyday on this game. Seems I've lost a lot of games because the rules are not clear in some cases. Still an awesome game though!

The rules are clear, it's just typical with FFG :P

They have awesome thematics, awesome components but their rules are sometimes weirdly written and let the doors opened for interpretation and debate.

But as with any other games and companies, most of the time we over analyse everything instead of just reading and if I can speak for myself, since I realised this fact I have a lot less questions and rules interpretations.

With FFG rules, when something seems too much logical and simple, it is :P