more questions about bold and support

By guest489167, in Battlelore

can a unit increase it's bold status if it occupy's a stronghold and its in a bold formation? for example if an archer is in a stronghold and it is supported by two other units will it get bold*2. please help

Yup, you've got it - bold "stacks".

Replace the archer in your example with an Iron Dwarf Crossbow unit, and you've got 3 stacked levels of ''boldness''!! happy.gif

Germ said:

Replace the archer in your example with an Iron Dwarf Crossbow unit, and you've got 3 stacked levels of ''boldness''!! happy.gif

And play a Lore card that gives +1 Bold and you can be up to Bold 4 !

Which leads to the play of the bold trump card: Fearless. Bold inifinity :)

So if I'm bold four can I ignore four flags?

HonorforONEFilms said:

So if I'm bold four can I ignore four flags?

Yes, that is correct. Bold X = X Flags ignored.

Sweet. That changes some stuff.

If dwarf unit is on a rampart next to a stronghold with two suporting units your bold5! add a lore card your Bold six!

TylerT said:

If dwarf unit is on a rampart next to a stronghold with two suporting units your bold5! add a lore card your Bold six!

A tad bold happy there gui%C3%B1o.gif - bold4 and 5 respectively.

TylerT said:

The original OP asked about a Stronghold and Support to get to Bold 2.

Then we added the Dwarves to make it 3.

Then we added the Lore card to make it 4.

So switching the Dwarve to a rampart (or any adjacent landmark) to get the +1 "influence" of the stronghold over adjacent hexes, you are only at 5 bold.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone.

It talks about this in the rulebook. I'll look up the page number.

Make the Dwarf unit a Clan Chief Dwarf unit and the bold just gets bigger.

Furelli

Enough talk of damnable dwarves! What about glorious gobbo's?!?! A mighty 3 Bold for a strongholded, supported, magicked group? 4 if you give them a musician, right? Plus they're twice as fast when "tactically withdrawing" from the enemy should their Boldness prove "unwise".

Surely the world must realise the might of the green skinned mercs-with-a-mouth-but-no-bite?

gran_risa.gif

Stupid goblins. Unless you keep them in triangles there worthless.

honorforONEFilms wrote:

Plodding dwarves...good luck building a battle plan around those ass-draggers gui%C3%B1o.gif

Dirge said:

can a unit increase it's bold status if it occupy's a stronghold and its in a bold formation? for example if an archer is in a stronghold and it is supported by two other units will it get bold*2. please help

Yup - "bold" stacks. Any type of bold that can be had is added to any other type of bold that can be had. In the example you have there, bold1 from support + bold1 from Stronghold gives a bold2 to those archers. If other circumstances also allow a flag to be ignored, those would stack on top.

Only exception (that really isn't an exception) is that a unit which is supported by two friendly units is bold1, but a unit that is also supported by two more units is not bold2 - still bold 1. A unit receives the same benefit of support regardless the number of units providing that support, as long as it is 2 or more. If a goblin band is involved, it provides half support, but if 2 or 3 units are also providing support to the unit in question - still bold1. The embedded drummers are different - the provide bold1, and if that embedded unit is also supported, bold2.

Once one has played often enough, it really does become second nature. Very consistent rules, not any exceptions really. (well, except creatures ;) ).

HonorforONEFilms said:

Young and inexperienced you are. Much to learn you have. Lethal Goblins are when in the hands of a Master. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Another question that came up today:

My friend had a bold unit and I rolled 2 retreat flags against it. It could not retreat because there were friendly units behind it, so it lost 1 figure. At that point, my friend argued that he could fight back because he was still bold and I said he could not because, while he was bold (or bold-1), it would be against the spirit of the game to use that logic because in reality he SHOULD have been retreating, not getting to attack back.

What is the correct ruling on this?

He wins.

Bold = Ignore Flags.

Bold + Remain in Hex = Battle Back

Because he did not vacate the hex and he remained supported by two units, he gets the opportunity to battle back. Dem's da breaks.

Oh man, I was hoping it wouldn't be that way. :-( Okay, thanks. I guess that's the rule, even though I disagree with it in spirit.

paladinz said:

I guess that's the rule, even though I disagree with it in spirit.

I don't know if this helps you with the spirit part, but I tend to separate the individual die rolls from the story that is being told on the board - that is the second flag didn't break the bold spirit of the units being attacked, but the loses were due to standing fast and fighting back.

Often in the game deciding to prevent retreats in ones own units by standing them up infront of two units behind is a good tactic for holding ground. Taking a hit from an extra Flag roll is a good trade for a battle back that results in a hit, followed by the next turn to hopefully take advantage of the situation.

HonorforONEFilms said:

Sorry but you would be on the wrong side then. If a unit is bold and doesn't move off it's square and in close combat with the unit and still has a figure left in the unit, the unit does get to battle back. Them are the rules.

The only exception is in the 2nd follow up attack for a mounted unit. But since in it's first attack the unit moved, if the mounted unit attacks the same unit that moves, the moved unit still doesn't get to battle back even if it is bold. Since it is a continuation of the first mounted attack.

Cab