Critically failing a grenade throw

By BinarySecond, in Dark Heresy House Rules

On Saturday one of my players critically failed (100) his grenade throw.

I couldn't think of anything to do except have it explode centred on him or do the regular scatter table (He would have certainly died if caught in the explosion and it was the first session)

Does anyone have any suggestions based on what they use/do in that kind of situation?

Cheers

From Living 2.3:

Fumbling Grenades

When an actor throwing a grenade suffers a Jam (rolls 96 to 100 on the attack test), they drop the grenade. Make a d5 meter Scatter Roll to determine where the grenade lands. The grenade counts as having struck the determined location with a number of DoS equal to the DoF rolled on the Attack Roll.

Scatter Roll

To make a Scatter Roll, roll the Scatter Die along with any specified dice for distance. If the Scatter Die results in a Hit, ignore the rolled distance. Otherwise the object Scatters in the direction indicated by the Scatter die, and the distance indicated by the distance die.

Note: If you don't have a Scatter Die, I'd suggest drawing a direction arrow on 4 sides of a D6. If the die comes up arrow, that's the Scatter direction. If it comes up not showing an arrow, the result is a Hit.

That's what I ended up doing, I didn't fancy blowing his arm off in the first session (despite him being mechanicus)

Note: If you don't have a Scatter Die, I'd suggest drawing a direction arrow on 4 sides of a D6. If the die comes up arrow, that's the Scatter direction. If it comes up not showing an arrow, the result is a Hit.

Or just use the table from the rulebook, which gives the direction from a regular d10 roll, based on the direction you tried to throw the grenade.

Or just use the table from the rulebook, which gives the direction from a regular d10 roll, based on the direction you tried to throw the grenade.

Sorry, I'm so used to minis it didn't even occur to me. But there's a Scatter Diagram on page 196 of the DH1e Core.

It also has different rules for grenade fumbles, on page 137:

Explosive Mishaps
Whenever a jam results from throwing a grenade or firing a grenade, something unfortunate has happened. Roll on the table below to find out the results:
1–5 Dud. The explosive or round fails to explode and, in the case of grenade launchers, the weapon must be reloaded before it can fire.
6–8 “It might be ok…” Nothing happens. Roll again on this table next round.
9–0 BOOM! The round or explosive detonates immediately. Centre the effect on the character. If this was the result of firing a grenade launcher, the grenade detonates in the barrel, having its normal effect as well as destroying the weapon.

That's in the corebook? Woops, looks like I have another chart to print out!

That's in the corebook? Woops, looks like I have another chart to print out!

FWIW I had no idea either. I do vaguely remember the Explosive Mishaps table now, though... As one of rather a lot of weird little discreet rules bits that no sane person could possibly keep track of.

If you're too new to the game to know better yourself, I suggest you don't bother with things like the Explosive Mishaps table and either just make stuff up or use the houserule I initially posted (which at least is consistent with how the rules generally work). Because you can easily drive yourself crazy and drive the game to an unnecessary halt trying to follow DH1e RAW.

Also, if you use tokens, minis or whatever to physically represent combat, buying or making your own Scatter Die is a much better idea than using a diagram.

Edited by Simsum

I have some old GW scatter dice which would simplify things, and we used Roll20 for the first session because I was running Shattered Hope. Though the maps are too low in resolution so I retraced them in Photoshop so I could scale them up better. Worked quite well.

Though I didn't expect the party to choose to shoot promethium tanks and then shut the door on the mutant

Edited by BinarySecond

I have found that such a mishap is what fate points are for, If you are pressed for time and they fail the fate roll, just let them come in with a "new" pc that is clone of the last one. We all have had that time when we killed our own pc's before the GM did.