Beginner questions

By durek_7, in CoC Rules Discussion

This forum seems dead but hopefully appearances are deceiving.

Our group got into the game quite strong last summer but due to only having one core set for 5 people it stalled. We now have 3 so we are trying again. Several game play questions came up and for the life of me (us) we cant find the answers. The rule book is next to useless, the video tutorial is not much better; so I turn here for help.

Most of us have been playing board and miniature games for over 2 decades, so we should know most terminology fairly well. We also have a youthful back ground in Magic if that helps.

1- Is there a maximum handsize?

2- Can you still play Actions from the text box of an Exhausted Character ?

3- Events ... This is the big one. We know Support and Characters may only be played on that players turn in the Operations phase.

a) However Events and Actions seem to be able to be played at almost any time.

b) Do Event card stay in play till used, or just remain in play or once played from your hand they are discarded? The questions arose as some have Action text other Response which seem to indicate they linger (at least till used). In Magic parlance are they "Enchantments" or "Instants".

c) If "Enchantments" can their Actions be used multiple times if there is no mention of being discarded? What of Events with Response text?

Thank you in advance for your generosity of answers and patience with these questions.

This forum seems dead but hopefully appearances are deceiving.

Our group got into the game quite strong last summer but due to only having one core set for 5 people it stalled. We now have 3 so we are trying again. Several game play questions came up and for the life of me (us) we cant find the answers. The rule book is next to useless, the video tutorial is not much better; so I turn here for help.

Most of us have been playing board and miniature games for over 2 decades, so we should know most terminology fairly well. We also have a youthful back ground in Magic if that helps.

1- Is there a maximum handsize?

2- Can you still play Actions from the text box of an Exhausted Character ?

3- Events ... This is the big one. We know Support and Characters may only be played on that players turn in the Operations phase.

a) However Events and Actions seem to be able to be played at almost any time.

b) Do Event card stay in play till used, or just remain in play or once played from your hand they are discarded? The questions arose as some have Action text other Response which seem to indicate they linger (at least till used). In Magic parlance are they "Enchantments" or "Instants".

c) If "Enchantments" can their Actions be used multiple times if there is no mention of being discarded? What of Events with Response text?

Thank you in advance for your generosity of answers and patience with these questions.

Glad you are back trying out the game! Most of the traffic has moved over to www.cardgamedb.com in the forums there.

A lot of the more seemingly complex questions are answered in the FAQ found on the CoC support page.

1) Nope.

2) Yes. The only time it matters is when exhausting is part of the cost (you can tell it's cost because it will be worded "do X to do Y").

3a) Yes, events and abilities (effects on characters and supports in play) can be triggered any time you have the opportunity. For Actions the opportunity to trigger passes back and forth between you and your opponent, active player first. For responses and disrupts, you can trigger these when you want when the opportunity arises, which is stated on the card. For forced responses, it's similar to responses, but you must trigger it, and it's treated like a game triggered effect, not a player triggered effect.

3b) Events are never considered to "enter play" per se. You just "place" it in the play area more as a reminder but it doesn't physically enter play. Once it's resolved it goes to the discard pile.

3c) Sometimes card abilities will specify a limit, but if there is no limit then any characters and supports with Action abilities can be triggered as many times as you can pay for the cost. Disrupts, Responses, and Forced Responses can only happen once per trigger. Events are one shot as they go to the discard (per 3b).

thank you.

Forgot to ask.

My wife plays MSU and needs a good card to get rid of Support cards in play. Any advice before we scour all cards made?

also is there any asylum pack that are a must have for Myskatonic?

we have their deluxe pack and all Yuggoth Contracts

Edited by durek_7

thank you.

Forgot to ask.

My wife plays MSU and needs a good card to get rid of Support cards in play. Any advice before we scour all cards made?

also is there any asylum pack that are a must have for Myskatonic?

we have their deluxe pack and all Yuggoth Contracts

The only ones I can think of specifically for supports in MU are Lucas Tetlow, which you should have, and Magnetic Spike from the pack Never Night.

As far as packs go, the following are pretty good for MU:

• The Spawn of the Sleeper (Dr. Carson, Sleeping Pills, and Rabbit's Foot)
  • Into Tartarus (Archaeology Interns, Mask of Sthenelus)
  • Words of Power (Infirmary, Research Assistant, and the neutral Marcus Jamburg)

thx :)