Terrain Cards & Warlock Quests

By metalzo, in Talisman Rules Questions

This part feels clear for me but Im still not convinced on what to do when a character draws Visit the city when no such space exists on the game board. I see this as the same scenario as The take one life quest vs CoC.

You can always bang a Gong of War in Highlands or use other ways to summon a character from CoC... So there is always way to complete the Warlock quest even if the space you have to visit is terrianed ;) .

But on the other hand if completing the Quest would be too difficult than their use become marginal. Strenght of Talisman still comes from the fact it is consider as a familly game and it can not be too complicate.

This part feels clear for me but Im still not convinced on what to do when a character draws Visit the city when no such space exists on the game board. I see this as the same scenario as The take one life quest vs CoC.

You can always bang a Gong of War in Highlands or use other ways to summon a character from CoC... So there is always way to complete the Warlock quest even if the space you have to visit is terrianed ;) .

But on the other hand if completing the Quest would be too difficult than their use become marginal. Strenght of Talisman still comes from the fact it is consider as a familly game and it can not be too complicate .

Imo this is NOT a family game; this is a ▓▓▓ NERD GAME :D

http://www.talismanisland.com/talisman_on_tv.htm (even though they obviously don't know how to play it)

But yeah, The_Warlock wrote a good comment on that in another thread that I agree with.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/39174-misfortune-what-rerolling-really-means/page-2

I checked the box and yes, its for ages nine and above but what really caught my attention is that it says 90min/game.

My a**!!

Even though that is only for the base game I'd say 90min is quite an underestimation.

On the original topic, which is Visiting/Travelling to a space that currently has a Terrain Card on it, I'm definitely against the idea that the WQ should be ignored and thus discarded. The Warlock Quest is not an effect or an instruction, it's a purpose, or a task if you prefer. The rules don't force you to reach that destination as soon as possible, they only state that when you're in the condition to complete the quest, you must do it. They can't be ignored because they're not a single action. So, if you have/want to complete that Warlock Quest, you're only option is to find a way to remove the Terrain Card.

Hm, I change my opinion on this one. I'll probably rule it like this from now on. If you draw a Visit/fight XXX quest and XXX is terrained it's your problem, suck it up and play.

It also goes nicely with the unforgiving shroud of the game in general (which I'm really fond of).

But yes, please FFG , do include these topics in the next FAQ!

Edited by Nioreh

:) Fat NERD GAME :) .

I don't know if I should laugh or be offended.

As for the Terrian Card thingy.. Yes its tough talismans :) fat nerd or not :) .

Haha.. this was a bit too much swenglish (swedish-english) from my side.

In swedish you can use 'fett' (fat) as a synonym to 'of a large extent' 'very much' etc but I realize now that this does not translate very well :rolleyes:

No offence ;)

Edited by Nioreh

Haha.. this was a bit too much swenglish (swedish-english) from my side.

In swedish you can use 'fett' (fat) as a synonym to 'of a large extent' 'very much' etc but I realize now that this does not translate very well :rolleyes:

No offence ;)

ah, good to know I will remember that :)

I have a question about terrain cards and the starting space. If a player gets a new character and the new character's starting space no longer exists, where does that character start?

I have a question about terrain cards and the starting space. If a player gets a new character and the new character's starting space no longer exists, where does that character start?

That is actually clarified in the rules if my memory isn't failing me.

When you place new characters you ignore placed terrain cards.

That is actually clarified in the rules if my memory isn't failing me.

When you place new characters you ignore placed terrain cards.

Yep you ignore the terrain cards for starting locations its in the rulesheet.

Despite the Harbinger having Terrain cards, the rulesheet does not answer this predicament.

Also, what if a Warlock Quest requires you to go to a space that has been terrained?

I can only think of a few options/house rules if the Cave gets terrained:

1) All active quests are discarded

2) Any cards that are dependant on Quests (such as some from the Sacred Pool) can be discarded (whether drawing another card instead (like the Prophetess), or landing on a space that has any and discarding them, maybe drawing another card as a replacement (like the Philosopher) or not, or just leave them on the board until the Warlock's Cave becomes available again

3) Complete the Warlock Quest so you can open the Portal of Power but you do not get teleported nor do you get a reward or Talisman

4) If a Quest requires you to go to a space that has been terrained, you discard the quest and choose to select/draw a new quest or not

5) You can still gain Quest Rewards by other means (such as the Reliquary or Chivalric Knight's ability) or not

These are just some suggestions.

Personally, I would use 1, 2 & 5.

Its pretty simple if the Warlocks Cave has a Terrain Card on it then you cannot complete any active quests until you move or remove the said Terrain Card. Now you can put a Terrain Card on the POP thus allowing you to go through the door with a quest.

Other than that you need to kill the LOD by 8+ or use some other effect to get in.

That is true, but if you're not using the Dungeon, and depending what other expansions are used, attempting to Terrain the Portal can be time-consuming, as would be trying to get a Talisman.

Until an official rule is made, it may just be a case of all players agreeing on what to do in such scenarios before starting the game.

Until an official rule is made, it may just be a case of all players agreeing on what to do in such scenarios before starting the game.

I don't understand it is a official rule. It does not state it in "black and white" but it states other unaffected things (eg starting locations, the jail city space) that are special and are effected differently if not at all. If it was unaffected or had some sort of other rule it would just say.

Of course everyone can make their own house rules if they think its not good or they have something better but this is what the rules say so its pretty much Official.