Why all the hate for lizardmen and skaven?

By Hastur403, in Warhammer: Diskwars

I dont get it, with the introduction of the first two expansions we are getting dwarves and undead, which is fine...but then you keep reading. And it makes it sound like lizard men, skaven, wood elves, and dark elves, are still just shoved into the ally spot for this game, only receiving one hero and enough for a single regiment each. Now I know that eventually they will release more blah blah blah but why not just give them their own faction from the start? You would have thought that they would have learned their lesson from the invasion F*ck up, where they waited until they were about to drop the game before making lizard and skaven official factions. I guess I am just hoping that I dont have to settle for having a single lizardman regiment shoved arbitrarily into some order list forever...Its bad enough I had to do that in invasion.

Really?

That didn't take long.

First: This isn't invasion. You aren't waiting on a capital board to make your favorite faction playable.

Second: You just received two very quick expansions that more than doubled the number of races in the game. FFG chose to focus on two, but also add 4 more, while increasing the stock of disks for all the core factions. This is an incredible amount of support for a game that, I'm sure, hasn't had time to build a huge fan base. Two more rounds of expansions like this and you'll likely have everything you're asking for. Unless you wanted them to release six separate expansions all at once, someone wasn't going to get a full army. What you have here is a promise that your favorite army will get some attention.

Third, and finally: At least you aren't a Tomb Kings player. I'd have taken a single Tomb Kings disk at this point. Or maybe a piece of Egyptian themed terrain. ;)

Seriously man.... There was no way everyone was getting their favorite faction in the core set or first round of expansions. Just be glad you got some love. I'm sure they have learned from invasion. You'll have at least 10 fully playable factions in this game before you know it.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

Did I miss something in the description? Each box contains 50 disks. The core box had roughly 15 disks for 4 factions each. If each expansion box contains 50 disks, that's likely the same. Each box needs a name, and they chose to focus on the army it was named after. Way to jump the gun with assuming that it is going to be focused on Dwarves or Vampire Counts because they went with those for the names. Nowhere did I read that it is 8-9 disks for Elves, 8-9 disks for Lizardmen, then 27 for the Dwarves assuming 5 pieces of terrain. It's more likely it's 15 for each, which makes 45 disks base, then one or two factions maybe having a couple more. The same goes for the other box set as well.

Edit: Re read the Beyond the Grave one, it does say the Skaven and the Dark Elves only get 1 regiment each. Assuming the dwarf one is the same, we will say that each existing faction gets 5 new unites, which puts it at 20 dedicated to core box. Roughly 5 disks for the other side factions brings it to 30. And The Dwarves/VC get 20 each. Which would likely mean that the next two expansions would likely be focused on one of the 4 side factions each to bring them up in line number wise. Also, given that they are releasing these two roughly 6 months outside of initial launch, it wouldn't surprise me if they have another two at Christmas, if the Dwarves/VC do well. And I will likely order them when they release.

Edit 2: Actually they could have all of them out by Christmas if they release the next box expansion in Q3 with the same factions just order rotated, and the same for Q4, each would have a similar number of disks and it would give you 10 factions. No idea what they would do after that, since it would get messy to keep a similar number of disks per faction already released.

Edited by Westonard

I dont get it, with the introduction of the first two expansions we are getting dwarves and undead, which is fine...but then you keep reading. And it makes it sound like lizard men, skaven, wood elves, and dark elves, are still just shoved into the ally spot for this game, only receiving one hero and enough for a single regiment each. Now I know that eventually they will release more blah blah blah but why not just give them their own faction from the start? You would have thought that they would have learned their lesson from the invasion F*ck up, where they waited until they were about to drop the game before making lizard and skaven official factions. I guess I am just hoping that I dont have to settle for having a single lizardman regiment shoved arbitrarily into some order list forever...Its bad enough I had to do that in invasion.

I don't think I get you here- Skaven and Lizardmen will be official factions when the expansions release. They will have a regiment in the box, as well as their army specific rules. Just play single-regiment deathmatch, or double up on a set if you want to play with two regiments.

They didn't give them a faction from the start because they aren't one of the iconic Warhammer factions that are associated with the game.

Or rather- would you not have Skaven and Lizardmen until later in the line? (Your Invasion F*ck up?) At least they're piecemealing it to us- teasing us for future expansions.

Well, i'm eagerly awaiting those 2 factions!

Love them and I already have some army ideas like Dwarves+Lizardmen!

Or Chaos/Skaven

Or Empire/Lizardmen

Or Orcs/Dark Elves

Or Lizardmen/Wood Elves

Or High Elves/Lizardment

Or Orcs/Skaven

Or Dark Elves/Skaven

SPLOOSH! although it is not the focus I am stoked that there is going to be some Dark Elf play in the game. Obviously they are planning on doing more with them but wanted to keep things interesting and probably realized they wanted to address many factions and still makes sure one is seeing love. I am sure at some point there will also be expansions that are just new disks for existing armies. This game just got more awesome

Was thinking about it, assuming that my theory was correct, that it might be Skaven/Lizardmen focus in Q3, with Wood and Dark elves in Q4, at that point they are kind of out of ideas. They could introduce goblins and khemri, and beasts of chaos but there is already overlap with Chaos, Orcs, and Vampire Counts. The thought I had was if they do decide to do Khemri/Beasts/Goblins, that might be when they release dual colored disks since there would be overlap for some units that could fit in either army. It's not necessarily needed of course since you can already have Orks and Chaos one regiment of each, but it's an idea.

Out of ideas? seriously? Bretonnia, Ogres, Beastmen, Tombkings, and honestly for the most part they have only JUST scratched the surface on the armies that were released. There is still a whole lot for them to do.

Yeah, WHF is a goldmine of material. Even after they finished all of the armies, they could always publish campaign box sets or something in that vein.

Or 3D models for the terrains :P

I would buy some campaign boxes with themed campaign play over 5-6 games with maybe XP and stuff like that with which you could buy some cards, units or special powers/actions for the next game. Maybe even have leveled up Hero disks in there with bossted stats, army points, card max, HP, etc.

Out of ideas? seriously? Bretonnia, Ogres, Beastmen, Tombkings, and honestly for the most part they have only JUST scratched the surface on the armies that were released. There is still a whole lot for them to do.

As I said, a lot of it has overlap, yes, they can release individual factions, keep beastmen and chaos separate and all that, but the question is what about the factions that you can merge the two, IE chaos. As I said, when they get to the factions that have overlap or shared units, we are possibly going to see multi colored disks, rather than a Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts army, or Chaos/Beastman army.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bretonnia got lumped in with Empire, Ogres with Orcs, Beastmen with Chaos, and Tombkings with ...whoever. FFG threw me by releasing Vampire Counts instead of tossing everything together with Undead. That's how they went with Invasion. This IS a different game.

To address the OP's concerns, no faction is getting hate. It's just a slow teaser to promote future purchases, and to teach people how to really play the game by splitting up regiment factions. We think we know the best builds, but (as is being shown in Star Wars LCG) we're still really just learning how to play.

As I said, a lot of it has overlap, yes, they can release individual factions, keep beastmen and chaos separate and all that, but the question is what about the factions that you can merge the two, IE chaos. As I said, when they get to the factions that have overlap or shared units, we are possibly going to see multi colored disks, rather than a Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts army, or Chaos/Beastman army.

If Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts could work together in this game I'll throw a fit. Tomb Kings haaaaaaaaaaaate Vampire Counts and I better not see them working together. Also even though they're both undead they have a completely different play style and strengths/weaknesses.

If Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts could work together in this game I'll throw a fit. Tomb Kings haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Vampire Counts and I better not see them working together. Also even though they're both undead they have completely different play styles.

Edited by ClanNatioy

If Tomb Kings and Vampire counts can work together in this game I'll throw a fit. Tomb Kings haaaaaaaate vampire counts and they better not be working together. Also even though they're both undead they have completely different play styles.

Not sure what happened with my above post. For whatever reason it kept coming out in blocks of white. sorry

If Tomb Kings and Vampire counts can work together in this game I'll throw a fit. Tomb Kings haaaaaaaate vampire counts and they better not be working together. Also even though they're both undead they have completely different play styles.

Not sure what happened with my above post. For whatever reason it kept coming out in blocks of white. sorry

Going with what they have done so far, wouldn't hold my breath for otherwise. If they make an appearance, Tomb Kings will likely either be Destruction faction.

Technically, according to the Lore of Warhammer, Tombs Kings should be a Neutral faction, as well as Ogre Kingdoms, as neither of these factions are Order or Destruction. But will fight with both and against both and against them selves with equal abandon.

So to see a Tomb Kings Army will probably require a joint Neutral boxed set, which will contain Neutral Armies for both Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms. These Neutral armies would then be allowed to be partnered with either Order or Destruction or fight by themselves.

I could be wrong of course.

Technically, according to the Lore of Warhammer, Tombs Kings should be a Neutral faction, as well as Ogre Kingdoms, as neither of these factions are Order or Destruction. But will fight with both and against both and against them selves with equal abandon.

So to see a Tomb Kings Army will probably require a joint Neutral boxed set, which will contain Neutral Armies for both Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms. These Neutral armies would then be allowed to be partnered with either Order or Destruction or fight by themselves.

I could be wrong of course.

I would love to see this. I think both armies could be popular enough to warrant an expansion. It actually does give me a little hope since they did such a huge double expansion so soon. Unless they are already abandoning the game, I would expect that they would like to get a few years out of the game. Say 10 at least. That would give them a lot of time to get to all of the armies, and I'd say that Tomb Kings can't be any less popular than the Wood Elves.