Chapter: Iron Snakes

By Soloman, in Deathwatch House Rules

Hi All,

I designed this using the rules for custom chapters. I was surprised to see no Iron Snakes in the successor chapters so thought I'd remedy it. Not had a chance to play with this chapter yet. I have attempted to keep as close to what has been made known in the canon for as much as possible.

• Current Chapter Master - Seydon (12th Master of the Chapter)
  • Standing Force - The Reef Stars
  • Founded - 2nd Founding, M32. (Non-Confirmed)
  • Homeworld - Ithaka, Feral World - Large bodies of Ocean, Archipelagos and Ice Polar regions.
  • Relationship with Homeworld - Distant Rule from Fortress Monastery on Ithaka's Moon, Karybdis
  • Progenitor - Unknown, probability high of Ultramarines Progenitor.
  • Genestock - A New Generation
  • Codex Demeanour - No Mercy, No Respite - Unwilling to concede defeat.
  • Geneseed Deficiencies - None
  • Organisation - Divergent Chapter, Doctrine of Short Range Engagements/Close Combat
  • Chapter Variances - No Scout Company/ Higher number of Apothicaries
  • Chapter Affectations - Traditional Equipment. (Sea Lance,Combat Shield)
  • Chapter Hero - Sergeant Veii, leader of a Notable Squad, responsible for securing a sector from Rebels.
  • Beliefs - Totem Creature - Water Wyrms
  • Friends - (Inquisition)
  • Enemies -(Dark Eldar / Primuls and Orks)
Notable Squad Names
  • Skypio
  • Parthus
  • Veii
  • Thebes
  • Damocles
Pasts
  1. Ork Killer - All Iron Snakes are trained to deal with Orks, and most have faced them in battle in the countless wars the Chapter has fought against the greenskins. During your early years as a Battle-Brother you personally slew a mighty Nob, a favourable sign in the eyes of the Chapter and a deed you must always try to live up to.
  2. Seconded to the Inquisition - You fought alongside a Cell of Inquisitorial Acolytes whose master requested your Chapter's aid to destroy a particularly pernicious threat he had uncovered. Through your deeds, the cell was successful in its mission and an entire world was saved from damnation.
  3. Banner Bearer - You were once chosen to carry a standard, possibly a back banner for your squad or even the prestigious Company banner. The selection was a great honour, and one not easily relinquished until you joined the Deathwatch.
  4. Solo Undertaking - Iron Snakes are oathed to protect planets and sectors around Ithaka. Sometimes when petitioned for help, the Chapter evaluates the need, and sends a single Marine. To be selected for this is an honour, and a great responsibility which required flexibility of tactics and combat method in order to complete the undertaking without the support of Battle Brothers.
  5. Sabbat Worlds Crusade (755-778.M41) - The Iron Snakes were one of the myriad Chapters oathed to assist Warmaster Macroth during the persecution of the Arch Enemy during the Sabbat Crusade. The Iron Snakes covered themselves in glory during multiple actions and were essential for securing a number of worlds. You were there during such famous actions as Operation Newfound, Balhaut, The Cabal Salient, and notably Amold Eleven (Depending on campaign time frame)
Possible Character Names
  • Seydon
  • Petrok
  • Phobor
  • Cules
  • Pheus
  • Khiron
  • Raphon
  • Priad
  • Xander
  • Phybos
  • Autolochus
  • Kater
  • Krates
Rules
  • Chapter Characteristics - +5 WS/ +5 BS
  • Solo Mode - Quick Reaction - When in Solo Mode the battle brother is considered to have the Lightning Reflexes Talent. At Rank 3 receives a +10 to Dodge tests. At Rank 5 the Battle Brother is considered to have the Rapid Reaction talent. At Rank 7, once per game session the Battle Brother may automatically pass any one Agility-Based test. (For opposed tests the Battle Brother is considered to have rolled a 01)
  • Squad Mode - Attack - Tactical Bolter Drill - Free action, 2 Cost, Not Sustained. With this ability in effect, the Battle Brother and those in support range gain the benefits of Bolter Drill Talent when firing Bolt Pistols,Bolters, Heavy Bolters or Storm Bolters. (Firing Semi and Fully Auto increases RoF by 1)
  • Squad Mode - Defence - Only in Death... - Free action, 3 Cost, Sustained. While this ability is active, the Battle Brother and those in support range ignore the effects of critical damage that would not kill them until this ability is no longer active. Once this ability end, they suffer the full effects of any critical damage they received.
Talents
  • Starting Package Hatred (Orks) - Free
  • 1000xp - Signature Wargear (Combat Shield), Signature Wargear (Sea Lance), Hatred (Dark Eldar), Peer (Inquisition)
Gear Chapter Trappings
  • Waters of Ithaka - Complete short ritual on Planet of Operation to gain +3 WP to tests against Fear, Psychic Powers, Warp Effects and Pinning (On GM permission, include members of Deathwatch Squad in ritual to all benefit).
  • Kaylix Token - Squad token used to represent the squad in the selections for an undertaking by the Chapter Master. Gives +1 starting cohesion to a squad
Chapter Relics
  • Aegis of Karybdis - Also adds +10 to command checks to prevent cohesion damage.
  • Helm of Alchilios - Standard Power Armour Helm with +10 Command, +2 maximum Squad Cohesion, Fear Level 1 to enemies.
  • Scales of the Water Wyrm - Adamantine Mantle + Immune to being knocked back/down.

No I hadn't,

Thanks Alex!

Yeah, there's some lovely stuff there too! I didn't have the scope to make custom stuff (except the Relics) as I'd be playing not GMing. :)