New GM Seeking Advice

By SemperSarge, in WFRP Rules Questions

Greetings! I’m a new GM preparing to run third edition for the first time. I have the core set, all the supplemental boxed sets, and multiple sets of dice. I also have a few questions on how to best start and enjoy the game.

1. Of all the adventure modules released for Warhammer Fantasy third edition, is there a recommended sequence to play them in? If not, any idea of a recommended a sequence that makes sense?
  2. Has anyone run into the issue where multiple players want the same action card or talent card (and there is only one card)? How have other groups solved this issue?
  3. Is there a master list of Advanced Skills out there somewhere? I’m aware of the master basic skill list in the core set rulebook.
  4. During random character generation, it seems a bit unwieldy to shuffle and randomly select a basic career card since there are so many and they are big and the career is printed on both sides. Peeking at the cards you are selecting, albeit unintentional, happens often. Do other groups use a different method?
  5. Does purchasing a fortune die for your Toughness attribute help you at all with soak?
  6. Instead of using the standup cardboard tiles that come in the sets for characters and creatures, we decided to use GW miniatures. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks in advance!

1. There is no order to the adventures, except that Day Late, Shilling Short demo scenario has a repeat character that appears again in The Edge of Night.

2. You have two choices: simply limit access so players aren't all running around with the same ability, or make a copy and let them share. I think the limiting factor is an excellent idea anyways.

3. All of the advanced skills are listed in the paragraph descriptions of the Core rulebook. Here is a complete list:

1 Animal Handling
2 Athletics
3 Ballistic Skill
4 Channelling
5 Charm
6 Coordination
7 Discipline
8 Education
9 First Aid
10 Folklore
11 Guile
12 Intimidate
13 Intuition
14 Invocation
15 Leadership
16 Magical Sight
17 Medicine
18 Nature Lore
19 Observation
20 Piety
21 Resilience
22 Ride
23 Skulduggery
24 Spellcraft
25 Stealth
26 Tradecraft
27 Weapon Skill
28 Dwarf Engineering

4. Use a percentile roll (in the files section at rpgeek..done by yours truly): http://rpggeek.com/rpg/2775/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-3rd-edition

5. No. Fortune characteristic dice do not affect soak. Toughness is already powerful enough without breaking it further.

6. We use miniatures and tiles. I let players do whatever the heck they want. I mostly use them for NPCs.

Best,

jh

1. Of all the adventure modules released for Warhammer Fantasy third edition, is there a recommended sequence to play them in? If not, any idea of a recommended a sequence that makes sense?

I recommend not running through all of them, but instead, picking and choosing based on what kind of player characters you have. An Eye for an Eye is a solid starting scenario for most parties, and leads directly into several other adventures, but Winds of Change might be a better starting scenario if you have a Wizard character. The Enemy Within is a great self-contained path from starting character through rank 3. Here's a suggested ordering for the Ubersreik-centered scenarios:

1) Eye for an Eye

2) <the Lure of Power Adventure--I forget the name>

3) The Gathering Storm

4) Edge of night (First Half)

5) Horror at Hugeldal

6) Harrower of Thanes (Karak Azgaraz portion)

7) Edge of night (Second Half)

8) Harrower of Thanes (Averland Portion)

9) Art of Waaagh!

Is there a master list of Advanced Skills out there somewhere? I’m aware of the master basic skill list in the core set rulebook.

No, but the only one not listed in the core book is "Dwarven Engineering", introduced in Black Fire Pass

Does purchasing a fortune die for your Toughness attribute help you at all with soak?

Nope. Likewise, fortune dice don't increase damage or thresholds of any sort. They only help with rolls (and encumbrance).

Don't forget to stick "Revenant" in there (Liber Fanatica). It takes place in Ubersreik.

Thanks for all the great information!

I was hoping you could answer a couple questions concerning movement, maneuvers, and actions.

1.) It seems PC's can take as many maneuvers and movements as they want as long as they are willing to pay fatigue. Is this true? There seems like there should be some limit in either how many movements or maneuvers a PC can do on their turn, or a limit on how much stress / fatigue a PC can spend a turn to do extra stuff.

2.) If a PC can do an attack and one free maneuver in combat, can they opt not to attack and instead perform two maneuvers? Or, if a PC in combat cannot attack, for whatever reason, can he in place of attacking do a second maneuver?

3.) Is there a limit on how many fortune dice a character can spend on one roll?

4.) If defending, blocking, etc. can a PC spend fortune dice to add misfortune dice to their attacker's roll?

Thanks! You guys rock! -Jay

1. Yes, in WFRP they can take as many maneuvers as the GM deems reasonable. You may wish to house rule that it is a maximum of some kind. In the Star Wars game (WFRP-lite), it has a maximum of 1 or 2 (I forget).

2. There is an optional house rule in the GMs toolkit that allows for that sort of thing.

3. No limit to the # of fortune dice per roll

4. Yes, if the GM house rules it, but it is otherwise not in the rulebook.

Considering all of this, I'd recommend that you have a house rulebook (keep it simple and short) regarding stuff like this. You've probably read mine (it's in my signature line), and mine is mostly lmore extensive because i have a lot of summary stuff, but also a few major things in there too.

Edited by Emirikol

1) Fatigue is not good to have. If you have above twice your toughness in fatigue you fall unconcious due to exertion, and when you are above your physical characteristics you take black dice on all actions. (for example if you have more fatigue than strength you suffer black dice to all strength checks). That limits how much fatigue the players are willing to risk especially since many creatures have actions that makes you suffer fatigue, two banes on physical checks also gives you fatigue and many player actions also have bane/chaos star lines that inflicts fatigue.

That discourages my players from using a lot of manouvres in a single turn, so I did not have to set a limit, it's self regulating.

2) Many use that as a house rule and it works well.

3) You have a maximum of three fortune points, but you could spend them all on one roll.

4) No not per raw, but you could make it a house rule.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

1.) I'll discuss with my players, but I'm tempted to limit the number of maneuvers, or things a character can perform a turn, to their Agility attribute rating.

2.) Doing two maneuvers instead of an attack and one maneuver sounds reasonable to me.

3.) Sounds like individual players can only have a maximum of three fortune dice at any time. I'm guessing this is independent on what's also available in the group pool / party sheet.

4.) I think my players will push for this houserule. Or at the very least, spend fortune dice to remove your opponents fortune dice, but probably easier and more fun to just roll more dice.

Edited by SemperSarge

1) that works, though I never had any issues as fatigue is "dangerous".

2) Yes, it works well for my group at least.

3) The fortune on the party sheet is used to refresh player fortune pools, players cannot use fortune points from the party sheet.

4) A black die is a minor penalty, and as players do not have a big supply of fortune they cannot abuse it for defense.