Black Goat variants

By thecorinthian, in Fan Creations

Having only recently discovered how much fun Corruption cards are, I'm now disappointed that there's almost no way to get them without using the Black Goat of the Woods herald. The Black Goat is good, but it does tend to 'take over the game' somewhat. The Corruption deck is a great resource and I want to see more cards that interact with it.

So here's one attempt: a slightly-less-deadly goat-themed herald.

3442486069_df6ee6d004_b.jpg

I hereby CHALLENGE YOU ALL! to come up with OTHER heralds/ancient ones/whatevers that provide Corruption cards somehow, so that I can have lots of lovely Corruption cards without having to add extra Doom tokens etc.

Only because you asked:

Black Goat is easily broken down into difficulty levels: Lowest to highest:

Praises : Just gain a card when a hex monster is killed. If you add the BG monsters then about 1/6th of the monsters are hexed.*

If you want to make a hex cup, then bring out the monsters as instructed for the Black Goat.*

Hexagon monsters are not removed by gates.*

Abundance : Play the extra monster part of the Black Goat.

Pagan Rites: Finally, play the monster surge random death portion of the Black goat. (We never play that any more).

Lord of the Woods: *I always have the Dark Young move like normal black bordered monsters.

*We usually play the parts marked.

Other variations:

Corruption cards are not really that tied to the Black Goat as you demonstrate in your example. So sometimes we play you are corrupted if a moon monster is in the streets at the beginning of the Mythos Phase. I don't understand why killing monsters makes one corrupt? Not killing them and leaving them to threaten others seems more corrupting.

Also, the chance of drawing red cards aren't threatening enough. Dam says he played 24 games and never once got into the red cards. So we limit the deck size. I've never drawn a red card under normal circumstances. So, I roll three dice. The largest and smallest are the green cards and the middle die is the red cards. The green cards go on top. That's an average of 10-11 cards instead of 32. Apparently from the typo in the game, originally only 8 cards of each were to be included.

Howevver, the corruption cards are not that really such a great resource, IMO. They are hard to keep track of and as player/game master, it makes my work annoying. Most of the cards are just downers, though a couple actually have a benefit and so my group isn't very motivated to keep track of them.

Wild Variations: I rewrote all the corruption cards to make them really corrupting (exhaust to regain 1 stamina, sanity and good things) and rewrote the Cult cards to give players a 2/16th chance to draw a card that gives a way interfere with the cult and banish the Old One. Even if an investigator draws one of these cards, s/he has less than a 33% chance of fulfilling the requirements.

Also, in wikepedia there's a list of cults from the literature, so I made up scenarios with the different cults and have different locations for their cultic meetings and different things that cause corruption cards to be drawn. Each cult then is trying to summon a different Old One, but some times they don't get the one they want.

Only because you asked. It would probably be more interesting if I knew how to post the Strange eons stuff. Oh well.

thecorinthian said:

Having only recently discovered how much fun Corruption cards are, I'm now disappointed that there's almost no way to get them without using the Black Goat of the Woods herald. The Black Goat is good, but it does tend to 'take over the game' somewhat. The Corruption deck is a great resource and I want to see more cards that interact with it.

So here's one attempt: a slightly-less-deadly goat-themed herald.

3442486069_df6ee6d004_b.jpg

I hereby CHALLENGE YOU ALL! to come up with OTHER heralds/ancient ones/whatevers that provide Corruption cards somehow, so that I can have lots of lovely Corruption cards without having to add extra Doom tokens etc.

Hrm... First of all, I like your cultist to Dark young idea, but I'd like to see the Dark Young turned into fast monsters that devour you and add a doom token to the doom track if you fail a combat check against them. If you defeat one, draw two corruption cards. Would you consider changing your herald to incorporate these ideas? Otherwise I'm probably going to plagiarize your herald's abilities ;') I like it— I just think it's currently too easy. It's almost a guardian as it's currently designed ;'D The added doom tokens is mostly to prevent suicide/devouring exploits, and to add to the sense of dread when a Dark Young comes out.

@ Magieth

It's not the killing of the monsters that makes one corrupt :') it's the contact with.

Mageith -

Would you be willing to share your rewritten cult cards, and those cult scenarios? The cult scenarios sound totally cool.

Thanks

lemmingsunday said:

Mageith -

Would you be willing to share your rewritten cult cards, and those cult scenarios? The cult scenarios sound totally cool.

Thanks

I would if I could. I can't figure out how to post stuff

Thank you Sothis.

Mageith check out that link that Sothis has. It explains smoothly how to post images. I am in the same boat with you about posting, and those directions make sense to me.

How about this variant:

After having an encounter at the Black Cave, Unvisited Isle or the Woods, you may discard an Ally, 2 toughness monster trohpies, or 3 Stamina to take a Cult Membership. If you do, immediately have a Cult Encounter.

Thanks Mageith!

Nine track? Yikes! Also, consider finding a different picture more in line with the game art?

mageith, could you possibly, either post a better or clearer picture of the Cult encounters? Because some of the quotes on the cards are little hard to read. If cannot post , you can e-mail me with a better picture of those cards. Much appreciated. skree

Witch Cultists

I tried several things in photoshop and strange eons but I can't get it any bigger.

try clicking on the link below the picture. I think you can resize that.

Text of the Chosen cards which are the key changes. The other cards are pretty similar to the current Cult Encounters.

The Chosen One: You stand before the the stone altar, knife in hand. Will it be another's blood, or your own that you shed?
Roll 2 dice. Choose 1 die and lose that much Sanity. Then lose Stamina equal to the other roll. If you are devoured, the game is over the Old One is repulsed.
If you are still both sane and conscious, the Ancient One Awakens and the Final Battle begins.

The Chosen: You stand before the the stone altar, knife in hand. Will it be another's blood, or yours that your shed?
Roll 2 dice. Choose 1 die and lose that much Sanity. Then lose Stamina equal to the other roll. If you are still both sane and conscious, the game is over and the Ancient One is repulsed.
If you are devoured, the Ancient One Awakens and the Final Battle begins.

@ Avi: the reason its a 9 track is because its not an old one, but a herald. Once the track reaches 9 the herald goes away and nine doom tokens are added to the Old One's sheet.

I posted the Witch Cult first because it is the most popular at my house. It's the most popular because people like the picture. According to the place I stole it from, its a real picture of real women who (think) they are witches. I think its funny.

mageith said:

Witch Cultists

I tried several things in photoshop and strange eons but I can't get it any bigger.

try clicking on the link below the picture. I think you can resize that.

Text of the Chosen cards which are the key changes. The other cards are pretty similar to the current Cult Encounters.

The Chosen One: You stand before the the stone altar, knife in hand. Will it be another's blood, or your own that you shed?
Roll 2 dice. Choose 1 die and lose that much Sanity. Then lose Stamina equal to the other roll. If you are devoured, the game is over the Old One is repulsed.
If you are still both sane and conscious, the Ancient One Awakens and the Final Battle begins.

The Chosen: You stand before the the stone altar, knife in hand. Will it be another's blood, or yours that your shed?
Roll 2 dice. Choose 1 die and lose that much Sanity. Then lose Stamina equal to the other roll. If you are still both sane and conscious, the game is over and the Ancient One is repulsed.
If you are devoured, the Ancient One Awakens and the Final Battle begins.

@ Avi: the reason its a 9 track is because its not an old one, but a herald. Once the track reaches 9 the herald goes away and nine doom tokens are added to the Old One's sheet.

I posted the Witch Cult first because it is the most popular at my house. It's the most popular because people like the picture. According to the place I stole it from, its a real picture of real women who (think) they are witches. I think its funny.

Ahh... I thought the ancient one awoke at nine with nine extra doom tokens.

Mageith, I can read the rest of the Cult encounter cards "quotes" but not the "quote" on the top of the Questioned Loyalty card. Could you please post what it says.

Mageith, if it isn't asking too much, would you be willing to share you super nasty corruption cards?

lemmingsunday said:

Mageith, if it isn't asking too much, would you be willing to share you super nasty corruption cards?

They're not super nasty. They are super corrupting. They've worked twice at conventions as players, despite my warnings, become uncomprimisingly corrupted. However my home group is no longer foolish enough to risk corruption. I'll attempt to post them and you decide.

skree said:

Mageith, I can read the rest of the Cult encounter cards "quotes" but not the "quote" on the top of the Questioned Loyalty card. Could you please post what it says.

Questioned Loyalty:

"New members often struggle with total commitment," says a senior cult member. "But, a few honest answers about your recent activities would assure us"

Discard 2 Clue Tokens, if able. You may reduce this loss by 1 for each Corruption card you draw. Or you may refuse and discard 1 of your Green Corruption cards and move to the street.

Introduction: There are less corruption cards (2 per investigator per color). Actually there were even less in the play testings. I rolled 3 dice. The bottom and top dice were the green cards and the red cards was the middle dice roll. But that was too variable. The design is to entice the players to keep the green cards because they are so good but once they get into the red cards, the time is short. In addition, an invesitgators must have at least one corruption card in order to have a cult encounter for the alternate victory conditions.

I'm estimating that about half of the Corruption cards will be drawn with cultists, though this will vary. If players then just discard them at the first opportunity they will probably not be corrupted into the red, which cannot be discarded in any way. But then they won't be able to have the cult encounters. Many of the Cult encounters require, as a penalty, to discard your corruption cards, so you'll probably need more than one to eventually find and succeed at the subversion of the cult.

CorruptionGreen.png i523.photobucket.com/albums/w359/mageith/CorruptionGreen.png