Competitive Greyjoy v.2.0

By RenaissanceMan, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

(Note: I wrote this with the intention to talk about Joust builds, as I don't dabble much in Melee anymore, but no prejudice either way--any discussion is good discussion)

Okay, so this topic appears to have been dormant for almost two years (the last thread I found dealing with this stopped churning out new posts in April 2012) but I hope that doesn't mean people have given up on the idea.

I wanted to see if anyone out there has found an interesting, viable build with GJ for regionals and store championships this year. I've personally been toying around with a number of ideas, but I end up coming back to a modified version of a boring choke deck if I really want to win.

I've tried the Old Way with every obvious combination so far (Nobles, Holy, and War crest themes; claim raising aggro; etc.) and if I see Black Sails again I may vomit. So I'm putting it out to the community: i s there such a thing as an original, competitive Greyjoy deck? Or are we all stuck with another season of the same?

As my favorite house, I have moved on to try other houses because I have not been able to consistently win with GJ. I have a TOW deck focused on Holy, but it sucks. Every time I try and create a cancel/location control deck, it gets stomped by burn and kneel, which are everywhere.

Steven from TC wrote up a really good read on GJ. It is interesting to see his take on it since I heard that he only plays GJ. Here's the link: http://teamcovenant.com/botounami/2014/01/21/the-greyjoy-problem/

I've actually been in contact with Steven over the past year, and he does indeed play Greyjoy exclusively to my knowledge (and very well, at that).

Sad to hear that you've been forced to switch houses due to GJ's lack of versatility/reliability, but I don't blame you. I still think TOW Holy is a fine build, but not necessarily a tournament winning one. Greyjoy can certainly be aggressive and even "rushy" with it, but I find it just doesn't have the potential to get second (or even third) turn wins effectively like a dedicated rush deck out of Baratheon could. At this point I think a serious location hate/choke build may be the best thing Greyjoy has to offer right now, but I'm curious to see others' thoughts.

I've recently retooled my TOW deck to focus more on rush and UO. I guess let's see how that works out.

And it was ****. Focusing now on defense

Built a deck based on Longship Maidens Bane with about 28 locations (mostly 0-1 cost warships), Return of the Kraken and Ours for the Taking to copy Maidens Bane. Included Craster as well with the usual good raiders and GJ characters.

Plots are all high initiative to go second with BoI, LIV and Meraxes for draw. Kings Landing Coup, Kings Law, Take them by Suprise, Retaliation, Twist of Fate, Desolate Passage and Valar.

It's been ok so far. Lost to a few weird decks, like Martell Icon Control and Beric Voltron, but so far it's fun having the threat of activation of a 5-8 STR CBK warship every round.