Resolving hero/unit quest duels

By Zaltyre, in Runewars

Just played a game of Runewars, and a question came up while dueling a giant for one of the Lost City quests.

-Does the hero have to survive the duel, or just deal two damage to complete the quest? Does the duel immediately end upon dealing 2 damage?

-How does a giant resolve a Rout icon during the duel? Does he block damage like a hero would? Does he rout the hero? Does nothing happen? This isn't explained in the rules, all that I could find is that units use their regular special abilities upon drawing that icon.

Also, when dealing multiple sorcerers, does each sorcerer draw cards individually? I'm not sure about the card draw order for a duel involving more than 2 parties.

1. It depends on the quest. If the quest says - kill giant you have to kill it. If it says - do 2 damage then 2 damage is enough. Any duel consists of 4 encounters and it does not end up right after you did two damage. You have to play duel until the end and survive to complete the quest.

2. All icons for monsters works the same as for the heros. So "rout" would block damage.

3. Yes, you would draw 1 card for each sorcerer (or other unit).

Edited by poet1001

1. It depends on the quest. If the quest says - kill giant you have to kill it. If it says - do 2 damage then 2 damage is enough. Any duel consists of 4 encounters and it does not end up right after you did two damage. You have to play duel until the end and survive to complete the quest.

Actually, this is not quite correct. Per a ruling from Corey (the designer), as soon as you deal 2 damage to the Giant for that quest, the duel ends. Unless the Giant kills the hero simultaneously, he will receive the reward after that round. You don't need to kill it or wait the full 4 rounds.

However, if after 4 rounds you haven't dealt 2 damage to it, the duel would still end as normal (and you would fail the quest). Or if you die before dealing 2 damage, or simultaneously with dealing the second damage, you also fail the quest.

I agree with the other two answers, though :)

Edited by sigmazero13

Thanks to both of you- most helpful!