Recovering Fatigue and Stress During Encounter

By drallcome, in WFRP Rules Questions

Hello , I have been looking at the rules and have failed to see a option for the players to recover stress or fatigue during combat . Do you need an action card ? is it possible ? is it one of those things were as long as it makes sense the GM should allow it ( Dis check or Res check) ?

Everyone has Assess The Situation, it's a basic action that recovers Stress and Fatigue. You can find it on the Basic Action Cards or on page 184 of the Player's Guide. (Page 183 also lists it, but has a typo. Use pg 184.)

All rolls have the universal effects boon and bane results that cure or inflict Stress and Fatigue. See page 45 of the core rules or page 54 of the Player's Guide.

One of the things you can do during a Rally step is make a roll to reduce Stress or Fatigue. See page 13 of the Tome of Adventure or page 15 of the GM's Guide.

Thank you ,

I was asking because the bright wizard seems to generate allot of stress during combat ( could be the 3 reckless stance and quick-casting all the time )

Just double-checking: You know that even if all 3 red dice come up with the exertion symbol, they still only suffer 1 Stress, right?

Correct:

Only 1 stress/fatigue is suffered, even if multiple symbols come up.

jh

In addition to assess the situation and the use of 2 boons on any check allow you to recover stress (if it's a mental check) or fatigue (if it's a physical check) there are quite a few talents that allow a player to recover or protect agains stress and/or fatigue in different ways:

Clear Minded (focus) allow the player to recover 1 stress for 1 boon on when rolling willpower.

Adaptable (focus) decrease the risk of suffering stress when rolling inteligence based rolls with reckless dice.

Resolute (focus) can be exhausted to recover 2 stress.

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (tactic) can be exhausted to recover 2 fatigue.

Exceptional Training (tactic) can be exhausted to negate 2 banes when rolling a physical check.

Strong Willed (reputation) can be exhausted to recover 1 fatigue and 1 stress.

Confident (reputation) can be exhausted to negate 2 banes when rolling a mental check.

Some of these talents also have "epic" versions which allow for even more stress/fatigue recovery. To aquire these the character has to be at least rank 4 though.

A player who's character often suffer a lot of stress/fatigue should really look into some of these talents. I should think that resolute is a really great way to manage stress levels for a Bright Wizard.

Just double-checking: You know that even if all 3 red dice come up with the exertion symbol, they still only suffer 1 Stress, right?

Yes I understand that if not the wizard would have went insane along time ago haha.

Wish this topic had come along a couple of months ago...Apparently my GM didn't know these rules, and my bright wizard got so much stress that I accumulated 4 insanities. Got rid of 3 of them with discipline checks vs. severity of the insanity at the beginning of following sessions, but I'm stuck with crawling skin (which sucks) :(

Anyone have the reference for the "stress only once per roll" rule? Would be helpful. I was also under the impression that I could only get 1 insanity per encounter due to stress lvl, but I let that one go

@Preacherman:

Quote from page 53 in the Player's Guide: "If at least one exertion symbol appears in the results pool, the character performing the check suffers 1 stress (if it was a mental task) or 1 fatigue (if it was a physical task).

It's in the big blue box where all the dice symbols are listed and explained.

In addition to what has been written here, there is also the action card called "Inspiring words" (or something like that) which when used is likely to improve the stress/fatigue situation during rally steps or in the midst of an encounter.

Wish this topic had come along a couple of months ago...Apparently my GM didn't know these rules, and my bright wizard got so much stress that I accumulated 4 insanities. Got rid of 3 of them with discipline checks vs. severity of the insanity at the beginning of following sessions, but I'm stuck with crawling skin (which sucks) :(

Anyone have the reference for the "stress only once per roll" rule? Would be helpful. I was also under the impression that I could only get 1 insanity per encounter due to stress lvl, but I let that one go

In case anyone else is looking for this, there is a clarification of it in the Errata/FAQ that you can download from the FFG website. Reading this document carefully showed that we were doing a few things wrong.