Character: Resurrector

By MisterBean, in Talisman Home Brews

Good day,

Unfortunately, I currently do not have photoshop, and it's the only option I've seen to show off your created characters in a more presentable form. Instead, I will do it in the old-fashioned way.

Resurrector

Strength: 2

Craft: 2

Fate: 5

Life: 5

Start: Temple

Alignment: Good

- At the end of your turn you may resurrect a character from the discard pile. Set the character up normally. It takes its turn right after yours and you control it. You must miss your next two turns after the exhausting resurrection process to regain your energy. When a resurrected character is killed, it is instead removed from the game and you may not take a new character to replace it. You may have any number of resurrected characters.

- Once during the game, when you are killed, you may be resurrected yourself by repicking Resurrector from the discard pile on your next turn.

- You cannot have Weapons or Armour .

With this character, I wanted to introduce the new concept of resurrection. It is indeed quite powerful to be able to control multiple characters, so I needed to give several drawbacks. You may comment on him being too powerful/weak and whether resurrection is a good concept to introduce. I've got a lot of ideas in my mind, but I'd prefer to start small.

Thanks for reading.

An alternative to PS would be Strange Eons.

http://www.talismanisland.com/strange_eons.htm

I know it is in need of an update, but you should be able to create characters well enough.

Thank you, I hope I'll be able to give it a try later.

A nice original idea and I am assuming you can only resurrect characters that have already been played and then killed in the current game?

If so, there is a major drawback if nobody dies in a game (which can easily be the case) because then he basically has no special abilities with a Strength and Craft of 2 and no option of using Weapons or Armour . If that's the case it would be a very weak character indeed.

Admittedly, once (a few) characters are killed and then resurrected this he could be very powerful but there needs to be some incentive to use him if that is not the case. I I will just throw a few ideas out there. One or two of these might be a nice addition.

Since he can resurrect the dead, what about not being affected by the undead enemies:

* Enemy spirits will not attack you though you may choose to attack them.

And since we are talking about Death:

* You are not affected by Pestilence

*You do not have to roll on the Grim Reaper chart, however, if you choose to do so you must accept the result.

And one more:

*You may steal one trophy of your choice from any character you land on.

Also, if you resurrect a more powerful character, then you would naturally start focusing on that one more. Ideally, there needs to be some way of tying the resurrected characters to him to make this effective otherwise it would just end up as you are playing two (or more) characters. Not sure how best to make this work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by adjogi

The idea is indeed to only resurrect characters that have already been killed in the game, otherwise in the roleplaying sense you'd be more like summoning characters from all over the realm. Ideally, for most players, you do not die and keep your character until the end of the game. Obviously, Resurrector would not be usable in a short game with two players that does not include any expansions.

I needed him to be relatively weak at fighting, but to be very durable, hence strength and craft at 2 while life and fate are at 5. Originally, I wanted his own resurrection to be stronger in the form of:

- Once during the game, when you are killed, you may resurrect yourself. If killed by a character, he cannot take the reward for killing a character. You cannot be attacked and you are not affected by any spells, abilities or card effects until the start of your next turn. At the start of your next turn, you heal all of your lives.

In this case, you would keep your bonuses, spells, objects and followers. Are the drawbacks still a bit too much?

Controlling multiple characters sounds very chaotic, and may prove to be very problematic. And, from the roleplaying point of view - why does he control those characters? He should simply resurrect the character and get a nice bonus for doing that. Otherwise he's more of a necromancer...

It might become chaotic if he handles too many characters, that is true, but I don't believe that would happen too often. I guess there will always be issues with new ideas, so if you can provide some examples I might be able to work around them.

For your issue from a roleplaying point of view, I see the resurrected characters as followers, aiding the Resurrector in his quest for the Crown of Command. However, your criticism did give me another idea. I might make it so the original player must repick his killed character and can no longer attack Resurrector or cast spells/use abilities on him. This would lessen the chaos, and with each resurrection the Resurrector is allowed to move around more freely. Would require me to think around the idea a bit more, but I think it would fix some problems.

Thanks.

When another player kills an enemy he could try to resurrect the enemy on the role of a 4,5 or6 the enemy is resurrected and stays on the board and not taken as a trophy.

I like the concept, the main sticking point for me would be the balance, having a second character gives you two chances to win at everything and gives a real strategic edge, I would remove the weapons and armor debuff, go to 2/3 instead of 2/2 in strength and craft and then have the resurrection work something like:

- At the end of your turn you may resurrect a character that has died this game . Set the character up normally. You must miss your next two turns after the exhausting resurrection process to regain your energy. When a resurrected character is killed, it is instead removed from the game and you may not take a new character to replace it. at the start of your turn you may choose to either control the resurrector or any one character you have resurrected, you control them as normal (you only get one character per round) you are in control of any response actions your base character and any resurrected characters perform (such as being attacked or being affected by an event) , if the resurrector dies all resurrected characters under your control die as well.

Id lower the life/fate on this guy personally, 5 and 5 is pretty strong on any character and this character is going to be pretty powerful anyway.

this character would have a poor start and would have to work hard to make sure not to be the first to die, once there's a character to resurrect they gain a massive tactical advantage, though I'd guess the game would slow down as the board fills with more characters when events hit.

do love the idea of a resurrection mechanic but it would have to be handled very carefully, its basically like saying "replenish your life and fate to max, gain a gold and for the rest of the game take an additional turn and gain extra character abilities" so it needs some hard limit on what the resurrected characters can do.