Yellow or not?

By twonkbot, in Beowulf: The Legend

It seems, most of the time when I pull this game out to play, that there's almost always a newbie in the group... and so we end up playing just the basic version (non-yellow spaces). In fact, I've owned the game since it came out, and I think I've only played it with the "advanced" rules maybe two or three times.

So, basically, here's my question: How much do people believe the yellow/gold spaces really add to the game? I mean, there's plenty enough risk management in the game already, without adding a whole different level based on a commodity that you can only earn from winning certain other events. Or is it just more of the same?

I would imagine it would just make the game a little harder to win and a little more challenging.

I think the gold auctions add a lot of depth to the game. The gold auctions are often very valuable, and if you are the only player going for gold, you can absolutely clean up. On the other hand, if too many players are investing in gold, it drives up the prices in these auctions, and a player taking victory points directly will often fare better.

I don't really understand why they bothered with the "basic" rules. Gold as currency for future auctions is not complicated at all to any audience that's already played games before. I guess it's there for the completely-new-to-board-gaming crowd, but my group has never bothered playing without the gold auctions even the first time around.

Mapache is right. Trust yourself as a teacher, and your players as being smart enough to handle it. Without those gold spaces, you don't get that possible extra draw of 5 cards in the last third of the game. In short: Go for The Gold!

TK

Mapache said:

I don't really understand why they bothered with the "basic" rules. Gold as currency for future auctions is not complicated at all to any audience that's already played games before. I guess it's there for the completely-new-to-board-gaming crowd, but my group has never bothered playing without the gold auctions even the first time around.

I very much agree: I see no reason at all not to play the full game. The full game is not significantly more complicated and adds some depth to the game.

It's like video games, you play on the hardest difficulty for the fun of a challenge.