Does Swarm token affects a Roc??

By zell_brujah, in BattleLore

That´s my question.

If a Roc enters into an hex with a swarm token, is the Roc affected by this token or not???

Thanks!!!

This came up one game and we thought it was pretty clear the Roc wouldn't be affected.

The Summon Swarm card says "Treat each hex containing a swarm token as blocking terrain. When a unit moves into a hex containing a swarm token, it must end its movement and you roll 2 dice..."

The entry on Flying in the reference book says "A unit with the Flying ability does not apply the terrain effects of the hex it occupies or any hex it moves through during movement. For example, a unit with the Flying ability that moves into a forest hex does not need to end its movement"

In the bgg they responded me that swarm tokens affects the roc. That is because swarm tokens are not treated like terrain tokens. I think that if swarm tokens are terrain hex, then the daqan portal tokens would be terrain as well, so the roc must not teleport itself, because it ignores the effect as well.

I don't see this question as clear as you ;)

Thanks!!!

We thought about that as well, but to us the Swarm token has two "terrain-like" properties... it blocks LOS and stops movement on entering. So we went with treating it like terrain.

Looking at the rules for Portal, it doesn't have any "terrain-like" properties itself, you simply ignore any movement penalties of any terrain in the hex. I'd say the Roc can use Portal.

Either way, an official ruling and/or FAQ would be nice. It seems like this game is a hit so hopefully we get one soon.

Edited by Daverman