Can runner make a successful run, but choose not to access cards?!

By Dydra, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

Hey guys, what the tittle says.

Can let's say the runner make a run on archives, for a data sucker token for example, but don't jack out in the window after the last ICE, so the run is successful and he gets the token, but choose not to access cards from Archives, because there are SHOCKs in there ( for example)?

This question is very important to me, because a couple of the more experienced players in our playgroup, use this against me, as a Jinteki player, to avoid hitting snares and Fetals in HQ and R&D, while getting their money's worth on Data Sucker tokens, Desperado and other "on successful run " effects (including Emergency Shutdown and others)

Someone confirm this for me please.

Edited by Dydra

If the run is successful, the runner has to access. There is no option of "jacking out" after a successful run.

Yeah, that's how I'm understanding it as well ... but can they choose to access 0 cards or something like that? because they seem very sure about this when they say it to me ...

A runner must access all cards that he is eligible to access. When using a card that allows for non-mandatory additional accesses (such as Medium "Each virus counter after the first on Medium allows you to access 1 additional card from R&D"), the runner must determine the number of cards he wishes to access when the run becomes successful, and must then access that number of additional cards. If a runner makes a successful run on Archives, he must access all cards in Archives and all Upgrades in its root. The runner may, however, access those cards in any order he or she chooses.

If the players keep insisting, refer them to the rulebook page 18, which includes the section on the access phase of a run. At no point do the rules allow the runner to optionally not access cards in the server they have successfully run.

Edited by Saturnine

Great, thanks a lot =)

Here is my understanding:

From rulebook page 18, the Runner may choose to jack out after passing all ice in front of the server. If the runner does NOT jack out at this point, he MUST access the server cards. That is the whole point of jacking out - you either choose to access the server or to stop the run (in fear of snares).

Also, the run is not considered "successful" if he chooses to jack out. Card abilities which trigger "when you make a successful run" will not trigger. For example, Datasucker would not get a virus counter.

As others have said, no.

What you need to make a successful run and not access any cards is a card that grants a replacement effect.

For example, Security Testing (criminal resource) the Runner gets to pick a server at the beginning of their turn and if they make a successful run on that server they don't access any cards and instead gain 2 credits.