Witchcraft

By drummond13, in Mansions of Madness

I am very confused by the Witchcraft card. The bold print seems to indicate that it basically kills off all witches at the start of each Keeper turn. Why does this happen? I can't understand the thematic implications here.

Also, am I right in believing that you can use it right from the start? i.e., before any witches have appeared in the game so far?

It just feels like a bad move. Why spend two threat to "maybe" summon a witch that then dies after a single attack?

If you've read Lovecraft stories, specifically The Dreams in the Witch House , you find that witches have the unique ability to teleport into and out of some dream dimension from our normal reality. So thematically it's perfect... but only if you're familiar with the source material.

It's a great card because it allows you to constantly harass the investigators. The appearance of the witches induces a horror check, and the witches themselves don't have to be permanent in order to invoke evade checks. If the investigators keep failing their horror checks (which you can achieve by bullying the poor low-Willpower saps), then the witches effectively count as permanent.

Okay, I suppose that makes sense. I'll try to work the dimensional thing into the story.