Is taking an action in the City a requirement or Optional?

By Hein99, in Talisman Rules Questions

The Tavern is clear. When you land on the Tavern you MUST roll a die as the space says.

But when you land on the City you have 3 options. Visit the Doctor, Alchemist or Enchantress. If you don't have gold or you have max health and if you don't have any objects to sell to the Alchemist are you then FORCED to roll 1 die at the Enchantress because it's the only remaining option left? Or can you chose not to do any of the 3 options in the city?

TIA!

City (and Village) both require you to do one of the options. Which is why, if I'm at full health and don't have Objects I can turn to gold (or want to), City is a no-no place for me. Village's Mystic doesn't have any negative results, so it's a much safer place.

Dam said:

City (and Village) both require you to do one of the options. Which is why, if I'm at full health and don't have Objects I can turn to gold (or want to), City is a no-no place for me.

After my last game, I share your fear for the City Enchantress. Fate or no Fate, she still can cause some real harm to a Character.

Hein99 said:

The Tavern is clear. When you land on the Tavern you MUST roll a die as the space says.

But when you land on the City you have 3 options. Visit the Doctor, Alchemist or Enchantress. If you don't have gold or you have max health and if you don't have any objects to sell to the Alchemist are you then FORCED to roll 1 die at the Enchantress because it's the only remaining option left? Or can you chose not to do any of the 3 options in the city?

TIA!

Month's ago i ask the same question.

It seems that you must visit one of the places gui%C3%B1o.gif

It's not a safe place anymore unless you have real business there, or have at least one fate gran_risa.gif

You can heal "up to" two lives or discard "any number" of objetcs. Zero, anyone?

crimhead said:

You can heal "up to" two lives or discard "any number" of objetcs. Zero, anyone?

If you could do this, you would also be able to do actions that have no effect or valid targets, such as casting Spells at nothing just to get rid of them.

Rules don't clarify everything and most people still base their gameplay on the old FAQ of Black Industries 4th edition, until we receive a new FAQ for the current edition.

Since I have start to play the FFG 4th version of Talisman I visit the city much more than I used to in the previous versions ( I own a 2nd version as well).

The problem now is that if you get a low number on the dice other than 1, e.g. 2, you don't want to use the fate token because then you might end up rolling a 1 instead of a 2. :-/

The_Warlock said:

crimhead said:

If you could do this, you would also be able to do actions that have no effect or valid targets, such as casting Spells at nothing just to get rid of them.

Rules don't clarify everything and most people still base their gameplay on the old FAQ of Black Industries 4th edition, until we receive a new FAQ for the current edition.

I don't follow your logic. By my reasoning, I could cast water walking to get rid of it because it says you "may" cross the river, but I couldn't cast transference unless there is actually another player in my region (whom I would then have to switch with).

I'd certainly be keen to look at the BI FAQ and would probably resolve to follow it. Is it available online?

Any word or whispers of a FFG FAQ?

crimhead said:

I don't follow your logic. By my reasoning, I could cast water walking to get rid of it because it says you "may" cross the river, but I couldn't cast transference unless there is actually another player in my region (whom I would then have to switch with).

It's not my logic, it's the previous FAQ logic. Now they might change it and allow to cast Spells for no effect. Perhaps your example with Water Walking is allowed in any case, because you cast the Spell to gain an Ability you don't want to use. But this is a Reaper Spell and old FAQ were for base game only. For example, you could not cast a Healing Spell if you had full Lives, just to discard it, or Alchemy if you had no Objects to turn into Gold.

However, it's useless to talk about old FAQs and rules, it's definitely time to get this new FAQ. I'm surprised that the publication hasn't already come to pass.