How long to make the jump to Hyperspace?

By Rob.DavisRGG, in General Discussion

I've looked in EotE and AoR and can't seem to find it... Is there a chart or rule I've missed that tells how many rounds it takes to make the jump to light-speed?

GM fiat. I would assume the difficulty of the Astrogation check might come into play. More difficult = takes longer to chart the course. Once the course is set, maybe a Maneuver to switch to the hyperdrive and there you go.

House Rules

I use 4 rounds to calculate as the base for a 2d task; setting up the calculations is a single action, but is rolled at the end (to maintain dramatic tension). Essentially, I double the base difficulty by range (but not including the penalty for lack of astrogation computer or astromech) and that's the time in turns.

Getting clear of the world's mass shadow I usually put at 10 to 20 speed-maneuvers. That is, a single maneuver at speed 1 is one, a single maneuver at speed 4 is 4, etc.

If I'm using my mapped combat house rule, I just draw a line. Cross it before jump.

I use a difficulty 1, no mods for distance nor computer, astrogation action to trigger a plotted course. On a fail, no jump.

Somewhere in this... is the data of the path you are taking. Beyond the rim page 39 gives some ideas of how data can impact difficulty and I guess indirectly time. So if you are in a hurry but don't know where you are going..you might be in trouble...maybe.

I usually require 4-8 rounds, depending on circumstances (i.e. poor data on target system, if the data needs to be entered into the navcomputer for the first time, sector etc; coordinates, distance to end of gravity well, etc) but check is done initially, in case successes/advantages/triumph(s) are spent to further decrease the calculation time.

One of the modular encounters in Suns of Fortune has the calculation time starting at 4 rounds, with advantage generated on the astrogation check reducing the time to a minimum of 2 rounds

One of the modular encounters in Suns of Fortune has the calculation time starting at 4 rounds, with advantage generated on the astrogation check reducing the time to a minimum of 2 rounds

Nice observation! I missed that.

Nice observation! I missed that.

That's great to have another reference that seems consistent. If I recall correctly the Edge BB adventure had it at 6 with the same math concerning advantage or threat. Looks like ballpark enough for me to have a bit more confidence in what I've been doing.