They hunt us like we once hunted others

By hoodedcrow2, in Fan Fiction

They hunt us like we once hunted others:

Sanders scanned the trees around him. He knew he was nearing his quarry but he was still uncertain as to what it was exactly. As a boy he had hunted in these forests alongside his father. His dad had known every animal in the forest by name. He had once walked among a herd of edrins naming each one to Sanders’ astonishment. The edrins had only fled with the arrival of a Colkat the biggest and ugliest predator in these parts. The colkat is a beast of immense proportions. Its legs are as long as a full grown man is tall. The hind legs are evolved to allow it to run faster than the out of date vehicles that the hunters had to use. Its forelegs are powerful used to crush its prey to death. Its claws are equally dangerous able to rend a man in twain.

But Sanders’ father had stood his ground against the fearsome beast. It had slowly crept towards him. To Sanders horror it had opened its jaws as if to bite his head off. But the colkat merely exhaled and bounded over his father catching an edrin that was over a hundred metres away. Sanders had run crying to his father. He had only been eight. But his father had no words of comfort he only said “Son I knew standing there that Teun wouldn’t kill me” he had hugged Sanders then. “But I know deep in my heart that he will one day kill me. I am as certain of this as I am the fact that four more edrin will die before he has satisfied his hunger”. His father had been right as always for two years later to the day in the very same clearing Teun finally killed him. Sanders had been training with another of the hunter that day.

Sanders shook his head. As his father always said “Memories only serve to cloud the judgement of the now”. He looked at the tracks on the ground once more. They were small but there was many. Sanders didn’t quite know every animal by name but he knew every type and breed. No animal he had ever heard of on Shepros Prime had prints like this. They were small enough to belong to a mashnor, but the claws proved otherwise. Sanders looked around for blood. It was obvious that one of the pack or whatever these things travelled in was injured during the fight. Sanders still couldn’t believe what he had seen not a week ago. The alpha colkat Teun had been killed and eaten. No eaten was too light a word. The beast had been butchered. Nothing had been left but a few bones and the severed head that had rolled away from the scene.

Sanders knew that to take down a colkat it took all the hunters and even then success was a flimsy thing. The last attempt to kill on had resulted in four deaths, leaving only twenty-one hunters left. That was the lowest it had been in years. Now it seemed that they had a new predator to deal with. Sanders glanced around. The forest had become more foreboding in recent months. The birds were seldom heard anymore and never seen. The edrin were becoming scarce, where once over ten herds could be found in the small area outside the Kadra outpost. But now there was only one left. Indeed it had looked like a disease of some sort was at work. Till a week ago. The first prints were spotted around the old grazing areas of the edrin and the hunting grounds of colkats. The next day Teun was found.

Sanders finally saw what he was looking for. There was a large amount of blood on the bush not far from a bakkot tree. He slowly walked over to it. He had learned quickly to respect this new predator. They seemed to have some form of intelligence. More than once he had found himself in a predicament of his own making. The worst of which was when he nearly fell off the cliff, only by chance was another hunter nearby to save him. He slowly drew his lasgun and prodded the bush. Picking up a nearby stick he tested the grounds stability. He was surprised to hear a sickening squelch as the stick penetrated something. He pulled the stick back and found it covered in the purple ichors of the creatures. He took out his knife and set to work on the bush.

Ten minutes later he was staring at a pile of bones and flesh. It seemed obvious that the creatures were cannibalistic now. He looked around the area again. There seemed to be no sign of struggle. It was almost as if the thing had just stood there and let the others kill it. Sanders couldn’t believe it. It went against the instinct that every animal felt, self preservation. He looked at the body again. It was clearly a multi-limbed creature, probably six limbs maybe eight. It was difficult to tell, the body was very much ruined. He pulled his gloves up further and started sifting through the remains. He found evidence of natural armour in the form of thick carapaces overlapping certain parts of the body. The remains of what may have been a leg showed powerful muscles designed for speed and agility. Sanders took it all in, hoping to better understand his quarry. But something was bothering him about the body, where he found it, where it was placed, how long ago it was placed there.

From what he could tell the feast had happened only two hours ago. Surely the creatures should be further ahead than this body hinted. It was obvious they were fast and deadly from what he had seen of the remains. The body was placed right next to bakkot trees which are known to be home to various insects that love to eat dead things. But more disturbing is that the body was in the exact same place his father’s had been found. Sanders shook his head once more. He was being paranoid. This seemed to be common in the hunters of late. Since the meteor shower a few months back the hunters couldn’t seem to shake off the feeling they were being watched. This made no sense as the forest has never been quieter.

Something was niggling at the edge of Sanders mind. Something his father once said about birds. He had said “son when even the birds go quiet you know there is a predator nearby, for the birds are our silent guardians, they watch over us like messengers of the Emperor they tell us when trouble is on its way”. Sanders listened intently. A bush rustled off to the left, but no birds. He wasn’t surprised the birds had been very quiet lately. A sudden foreboding came over him again. What if the birds knew what was happening. The animals nearby were all dying. The birds are gone. The forest feels unsafe. Is it possible these new predators are everywhere, watching him even now waiting for him to make his move?

((well this is the start of my little story I hope you like it, I know there is probably a million grammar mistakes but tell me what you think))

I liked it. I didn't see any glaring mistakes.

The pricture you painted of the mutilated Nid (I assume they are nids) was slightly difficult to picture in my mind. That is an important scene, and perhaps a few more sentences of detail in regards to the body and shape, talons spikes etc. I think would help paint the picture of the first sight of these horrid killing machines.

Other than that I can't wait for the next part! Also good size for a short.

Cool thanks for reading.

A note on the body like you said I could have painted a better picture about what the creature is. But I was trying to ge for it's been mutilated so much that it is perhaps impossible to tell what is what. I rather thought that describing the kind of animal they can take down would give you a clear image of what the creature may or may not be. I won't confirm any suspicions on what the creatures are for a while. But you can guess. The next part of the story will be up soon with any luck. I hope you can have a look at that one too if it isn't too much to ask.

Mind if I ask though. What do you mean "good size for a short" as in the part was an easy to manage amount or something else?

Thanks again for commenting.

Right this is the next part of the story. Hopefully you like it. I don't think it is as good as the lst bit. I blocked halfway through which is why it took so long. but I finished it:

6 hours later and many miles away.

Private Timothy jumped again. He landed to the sound of light flak armour hitting a standard short pattern lasgun. Instantly the sergeant rounded on him. “Private is there a problem with you. Do I have to send you home to mommy because you can’t handle a worm sliding over your foot?” The sergeant was close enough for Timothy to smell his foul breath. He could see clearly the scars of war that lined the sergeant’s face. He could see which of his teeth had fallen out from rot and the ones had been beaten out in combat. He could see the way his nose curled to the left at the tip. He could even count the number of hairs that fell over the sergeant’s eyes, escaping from the standard issue helmet.

Timothy gulped. The sergeant didn’t help his nerves one bit. “It was rather ... eh ... bigger than a ...eh ... worm sir” he spluttered. The instant he said the words he knew it was a mistake. Not because of the way Private Garry started laughing or how the rest of the squad looked away. No it was the way the sergeant’s face went from human pink to daemon red in the split second after he said it. The sergeant growled like a bulldog. Timothy flinched knowing what was to come. “DID I ASK YOU HOW BIG IT WAS PRIVATE?” he roared his spittle covering Timothy’s face. “WE came out HERE to track down some HERETICS but obviously you aren’t fit for the job are you?” It wasn’t really a question. Timothy didn’t know what to do. If he answered he would be shot down but if he didn’t the sergeant’s anger would get worse.

The sergeant starred into Timothy’s eyes for a little while. “Right I don’t have time to go back to base camp so why don’t you take up the rear with Private Garry”. Timothy saluted and ran to the back with Garry. “Right spread out keep your eyes open and we may just find these guys, Garry make sure we have a clear retreat”. So without ceremony the squad headed foreword again. Timothy looked around the forest again. He didn’t like the forest. He never liked the forest. He could see snakes and lots of animals, it just freaked him out. To make it worse he couldn’t even see past the canopy. He hated being closed in. He loved to watch the sky. Yet tonight he was stuck in a creepy jungle heretic hunting. He just wanted to go home.

Suddenly Timothy felt something wet slowly drip onto his hair. It was then he remembered stories about the colkats. He froze in horror. He couldn’t scream he was too afraid. “Ha ha so it looks like you might be developing a gut after all” said Garry mockingly “too bad, I was hoping to have a little fun with you” he smiled menacingly. Timothy just stood there still shocked by what he had thought was his end. “So what now your too good to talk to me” Garry was winding himself up. Timothy knew there was nothing he could do to stop Garry from getting excited, so he just stood there.

The next thing he knew he was on the ground with three teeth floating around in his mouth. He spat them out one at a time. Garry had been on his case since they both joined. “Come on twerp you can’t even take a punch right” Garry taunted “what made you think you could be a guard? Did you mommy tell you that you could make it” Garry circled his prey wildly “Well suck it up, you are worthless I bet that the heretics will get you” Garry spat down on Timothy and turned away. White hot rage coursed through Timothy. He didn’t hear what Garry said next. It didn’t matter all that mattered was making him pay. Slowly he got to his feet, silently hoisting his lasgun. Garry turned around at the wrong time and his face met the butt of the weapon.

Timothy saw Garry fall and instantly regretted it. He knew that it would just make things worse between them. “**** that hurts” he heard Garry swear “maybe you do have what it takes”. Timothy was surprised. Did Garry just compliment him? Timothy finally spoke “what do you know about being a Guardsman?” He asked accusatively “You signed up the same day I did”. Garry laughed and slowly got back to his feet massaging his jaw. “First off my dad was in the army, his dad before him, and so on for about eleven generations” Garry spat on the ground “I know this because one of them decided to write his experiences, the next one did the same. So we have an account at home with everything they have ever done. My great granddad lost his arm fighting the Tau.” Garry stopped talking for a second. “Hey Timothy piece of advice always follow through when you hit like that, you actually do damage then.”

A cough sounded from behind the two boys. They turned to see the sergeant. “So do you ladies want to do each other’s hair or are you going to toe the line and” he paused before shouting “GET BACK IN FORMATION NOW PRIVATES”. Both privates quickly fell in beside the sergeant and followed him to the rest of the squad. They arrived at a clearing. The rest of the squad was crowded around a Vox receiver/transmitter. The small device wasn’t very loud so Timothy couldn’t hear it till he was a few steps away. “Report Jonson” demanded the sergeant. “Alpha squad has confirmed they have found the heretics and are in the middle of their camp now, beside the cliff” the private paused “but the heretics are dead sir.... it’s weird here.... listen” he moved aside to let the sergeant sit down. Timothy could just hear what they were saying now.

“Looks like they were hit by some kind of animal can’t be sure what. Big prints though. From what our tracker says it hit them from the north first, killed maybe two or three but retreated before they could attack back. Hit them from the south a few minutes later. Then it continuously hit them. West, south, north, south. They didn’t stand a chance. Fifty heretics died two hours ago. Felled by one creature. To make things” Garry coughed and Jonson shuffled on his feet. Timothy lost the sound for a while. But what he heard next made him wish it stayed lost. “My scouts haven’t reported back yet, Brison thought he saw movement in the forest and went to investigate too. He hasn’t returned. I think whatever got the heretics is still...STATIC...” The sergeant swore. “Quick replace the batteries or something” he roared at the nearest Private.

The man moved as fast as he could and five tense minutes later it was working again. “The last attack took out four more men, Emperor what did we do to deserve this. What daemon did these heretics deal with? *MUFFLED SCREAMS* There goes Cole, but I got a look at the thing. It’s big, twice the size of me, I know what it is. Is sergeant Haddon there” the sergeant moved to the radio and picked up the small transmitter “I’m here Frank” he said. Timothy noticed the tear in his eye “Terence, remember the thing on Gavacon four, the one that got my eye. That’s what it looks like.” There was a pause for a few seconds and the sergeant started talking “Listen Frank we are going to come get you” but a hiss from the other end stopped him short “It’s coming again and I’m the only one left. Run Terence, get your squad and run. It’s too laAAAAHHHHH” Screams came through accompanied by something scraping off metal before the sergeant turned the radio off.

Timothy shuffled on his feet. He had just heard a man die. He had just heard about the deaths of nearly eighty people. The fifty heretics were easy to get over. But the Imperial guard squad, the scouts that had helped them and the tracker too. He had seen them all he knew their faces. The sergeant wasn’t helping matters. He hadn’t said anything since the radio was turned off. Everyone seemed nervous. Finally the sergeant stirred. “Right grab all the necessary and send up the retreat flare so the scouts know we are falling back” he paused “then we run.” Timothy saw Garry run for the box of flares and the rest of the squad was gathering their belongings as fast as they could. Everyone was on edge. Suddenly they felt like timothy did. Like every bush hid an enemy. Strangely this made him feel better.

A bright orange light told him that the flare had gone up. The sergeant watched it explode before turning back to his squad. “Right the objective is base camp, the pace is fast as we can.” He paused trying to think of what to say next “it is likely that some of us won’t make it so you need to know what to say on arrival” his eyes darted from face to face “Tell Commander Varn Code: Alpha-4950 Astartes”. The soldiers all gasped as one. Each of them knew the basics of how the codes work. Each number represented different threats and how severe they were. The word was the recommended solution. They were calling in the Space Marines. Timothy didn’t know what the numbers meant but he was pretty sure he didn’t want to. In his opinion anything that needed the Space Marines help was something he didn’t want to be near. So without another word the squad started towards the Base camp. All of them watched the bushes.

086.933. M41
Subject: A disaster
Author: Commander Marcus Varn
To: Governor Militant Rambert
Time: 13:43 (local)

Governor Militant Rambert it is with a heavy heart I write this report. Just this morning a Hunter by the name of Sanders returned from hunting a strange new animal that appears to have shown up in the surrounding forests. Thankfully the area in which the creatures are to be found is many miles from here. The unfortunate news is that the animals in that area have all gone bar this particular type. He described the new creatures as follows:

“Sir they were fast, very fast. They had four arms at the end of the forearms were powerful scythe like claws. Their hind arms had paws much the same as many other animals but the claws on these could rend a man in two. You can see the marks these made on my Jeep” For the record there is five streaks cutting deep into the Jeep going from its front all the way to the back. “They were also camouflaged sir. They seemed to be the exact shade of the undergrowth in these parts. But curiously some were not so. The first one I saw was red with brown patches and I did see many variations from this to the green of the undergrowth.”

I stopped interviewing him at this point and wrote a report on the incident to detail the need of a new Jeep as the one Sanders was using has now got two useless door, the suspension has been damaged beyond repair from his wild drive back as well. Unfortunately the incidents don’t stop here there have been many sightings of strange things happening in the forest, people are vanishing. The most disturbing case arrived on my doorstep not two hours ago.

Privates Timothy and Garry were found dragging their Sergeant, Terence Haddon, up the steps to the outpost. The boys were in bad shape. Each had cuts as thick as my arms across their backs, and various smaller cuts all over. The sergeant was in the worst condition. He had lost his right leg and arm in what I could only have assumed at the time been from a vicious conflict with the heretics. The men that found the trio reported it to me and I was in the infirmary not ten minutes after them. The Sergeant was in intensive care and the boys were being stitched up. Suddenly Garry started to shake uncontrollably. He died. The medic said his wounds were poisoned but they don’t know who. At this point Timothy started mumbling to himself. I would have left him be but the last word made me stop “Astartes”. He repeated what he was saying again and again. “Code: Alpha-4950 Astartes”. I would have shrugged it off as made ramblings but events from earlier made me doubt. I rushed over to the sergeant. He was barely conscious. I asked him if he had a message for me. He said “Code: Alpha-4950 Astartes” then his eyes closed. Not dead, but nearly there. Timothy was sedated while I thought over what had occurred.

As you know sir we teach codes to anyone or sergeant rank or higher in this sector. Alpha is used to detail the first reported sighting of the event. 50 is the number that represents a vanguard force. Astartes is a call for help from the Emperor’s fist. The last number I am sure you know but it is with great reluctance that I must confirm its accuracy. I interviewed Sanders again listening closely to his description of his attackers. Then I did some research. The creatures he described are Genestealers. I had barely heard of them before today and wished never to encounter them. So I must confirm that 49, meaning Tyranids, is accurate. I can only imagine what the two squads I sent out under sergeants Haddon and Herman. The most likely creature I can conjure is the Lictor or some form broodlord.

So I must conclude that we will soon come under attack from the Tyranids here. Therefore I must beg assistance. There is no doubt in my mind that this may well lead to the fall of the Kadra outpost and because of this I send this report out with utmost haste.

Code: Alpha-4950 Astartes

((sorry this took a while was trying to find a good way to let you guys know what happened to the previous characters and tell you that it is the tyranids invading. Please tell me what you think))

EDIT: Also if you want to use profiles from any of the animal's in this for a campaign. Namely The Colkat, Edrin and the mentioned mashnor

this is good.

very nearly on a level with those of the BL authors, and trust me i've read nearly every book they have brought out.

Now for the main character to appear:

I hide in the shadows of Commander Marcus Varn’s office. My grey cloak hides my features. I’ve been standing here for more than an hour, but I can wait. The rest of my team is searching the town for anything they can find. Lidia is looking for a reasonably priced place we can stay for the night. Zane is looking for weapons we could use, I doubt he’ll find much but I let him search anyway, he has proven very good at finding the odd rarity in outposts like this. Brent is looking for information, sifting through the rumours and false truths with a fine tooth comb. All the while I wait for the commander.

I can’t say I’m impressed by what I have seen of his work here. We arrived at Kadra three hours ago as the sun set and the fourth moon rose. The guards barely looked at us twice as we strolled in the doors. There should have been a close inspection of our persons before we entered the outpost. Not that they would have found anything as we had already snuck our more precarious items in earlier today. After we got inside we decided to have a look around the compound and find out what the defences were like. Zane had given the auto-cannons a once over and found they were in complete disrepair. Lidia had a look around the outside walls for traps, how she got out there and back in through the closed door escapes me completely, she didn’t even find the most basic of traps. Brent checked the equipment of the guardsmen, this at least was adequate. I worked on getting into the Commander’s office.

After having discovered what the rest of the place was like I had expected the infiltration to be a breeze. I was wrong. Varn had his guards here on complicated patrol routes. I had taken more than one guess about timing and had proven only barely accurate. But I got in. Thinking of the flight across the courtyard with the sniper in the tower set my heart racing again. I brush my hand through my black dyed hair, unconsciously trying to calm myself. The commander’s office had been easy enough to find. It was the only room with anything of quality in it. The desk would set you back over five hundred thrones easily. I already hate the man. He seems more concerned with his personal security than the security of the outpost as a whole.

A click draws me from my thoughts. I step back further into the shadows and watch as Varn walks in. He is of medium stature, brown hair, blue eyes and a slightly crooked nose. His armour is purely decorative but would certainly make a lesser man’s head turn. He is completely unremarkable except for the scar going from his right eye to his left ear. I think it is from a sword fight but who can tell, for all I know his mother had hit him one when he was young. I really don’t like this guy. He turns on a light and sits at his desk clearly completely unaware of my presence. I creep up behind him as he writes something down.

Suddenly he stiffens and reaches for his laspistol. I let him stand and turn to face me gun pointed at my face before I react. I grab his held out right arm and twist. The gun drops to the floor but I twist his arm further. He is on his knees before I let up the attack. I turn my back on him “Stand Commander Varn” I say with all the authority I can muster. He picks up his pistol, again pointing it at me. This time I let him feel like h is in control. Without turning I speak to him “Killing a trusted acolyte of the Inquisition will get you nowhere Marcus Varn” I practically spit out his name.

I almost hear the man’s face turn pale white as he drops the laspistol. I smile to myself “so what if I enjoy this moment” I think “he deserves this, he is more concerned with his own security than that of the outpost”. Varn stammers behind me as he tries to regain his composure. I turn back around and hand him the paper I had received from my Inquisitor. While they didn’t give me the powers of the rosette they gave me more than he has. The official document in hand Varn starts to regain control of his speaking functions. “Red seal and everything” he was trying to calm down. “Well it looks official and has all the needed code words” I was growing impatient. “Of course it does do you think I would just march in here and pretend to be an acolyte of the Inquisition” I tried to say it calmly but it didn’t come out that way.

Varn paused for a while before thinking of the obvious question. “Why are you here?” he asked looking around uneasily, maybe for an escape route. “Don’t worry commander if you were wanted dead you would be so already” I tried to calm him down “I am here about the message you sent the Governor Militant Rambert”. Now he looked confused “But I only sent that two days ago it takes at least five days to reach the hive let alone his personal chambers”. I sighed “we intercepted it”. The commander visibly paled when I said we. “In the message you called for the Adeptus Astartes and that is not going to happen they are too far away to respond to the matter personally” I turn to face him pulling down the hood of my cloak.

He jumps back. What he was expecting I don’t know. But it definitely wasn’t my tattooed face with twelve scars one eyebrow missing and almost canine teeth. I smile, flashing the modified teeth. “The message has been change to requesting a platoon for the defence of this outpost” He looks shocked beyond belief that his report would be altered. But if he has any protests, they will have to wait. “I have left a note in your desk detailing exactly what needs to be done to improve the defence of the outpost to give you a chance to fight off the Tyranids should our mission fail”. He blinks a few times before I start to leave the room. “Eh... What is your name and mission may I ask?” somewhat unsure of himself. “I’m Grishnar and my mission” I pause for dramatic effect “extermination”. Without further ado I leave the commander to his thoughts.

((in the last post I meant to say that if you want to use any animals that show up in this Fan Fiction I have stats that you can use and will put them up in a topic in the gamemaster section soon))

((also thanks for telling me what you think. Any and all comments are welcome. Especially if you have tips on where I can improve))