Sith Deck vs Sleuths - Opinions

By INtheShadowplay, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

When you're playing Sith (ya know, the usual Sith setup) and you're up against the Smuggler/Sleuth decks, how do you play it?

I seem to struggle every time. When I get Vader in my opening hand things turn out a little better, but for the most part I get stomped out. Just wanted to see how you guys deal with that and maybe get a few pointers.

You need 2+ 2 cost or less blockers that can kill or neutralize the Slueths/blockade runners Really, anything with black guns will work, but there are several units that make the job much easier. You need multiple because of the likelyhood that if you only have one it will get Swindled.

The following units are uniquely suited to handling Sleuths and/or Blockade Runners:

-Heavy Stormtrooper Squad

-Advisor to the Emperor

-Emperor's Royal Guard

-Trandoshan Hunter

-Jawa Scavenger

-ISB Liaison

There are many other units which are good choices, but these stand out as big problems for Sleuths. I am a particular fan of the Trandoshans because they also come with Heat of Battle, which is another really good answer.

Realisitically, you want to get 2+ units out turn 1 and then stifle their first couple of attacks. 2 gun units or those with tactic icons that win the edge are well suited to this. If you can mitigate their damage, they won't hold up long.

Heat of Battle is also very nice since even 1-gun guys can kill them, and double heat can cripple your opponent, especially if you have a tactic to drop after as well.

The DS deck I ran at worlds was:

Scum

2xVader

2xCounsel

2xEmprah

1xKilling Cold

1xTatooine Crash

2xTrandoshan Terror

I did not have any trouble dealing with Unblockables all day =).

Cool, awesome tips. Think I might give your deck a try. Although, those darn ISB Liaisons always pop into my hand when I'm hoping to draw a big beater. How'd you do at Worlds, if you don't mind me asking?

His deck doesn't have any ISB Liaisons in it. The various versions of Sith control I've run that haven't had too much trouble dealing with Sleuths are:

Vader x2

Emperor x2

Counsel of the Sith x2

And then:

Trandoshans x2

Executor x2

or

Trandoshans x2

Feeding the Pit x2

or

Trandoshans x2

Defense Protocol x2

If you think you're going to be seeing sleuth scouts, make sure you make your opening decisions accordingly. Your goal turn-1 should be playing 2 or more small units, not one big unit. My ideal opening is double royal guard (though royal guard + trandoshan hunter is pretty close). If you see rebel or smuggler affiliation, you should probably mulligan any opening hand that doesn't have at least 2 units you can play turn 1.

Try throwing in 1x lucrative contracts, you won't be disappointed!

-Another shot at a 5/2 in your opening set.

-Twist of fate edge card

-outer rim space pirate is a great third force holder, you can even use the lucrative contracts ability on it if you need to defend.

-A way to blow up enhancements

-2 x corrupt officials, 2 cost, 3 health, black unit damage. Great sleuth blockers. If you end up not against sleuths you can use the, if you have a scum objective up.

Cool, awesome tips. Think I might give your deck a try. Although, those darn ISB Liaisons always pop into my hand when I'm hoping to draw a big beater. How'd you do at Worlds, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind, is not a secret. I lost in the top 16 to Scott (who I believe was in top 4 ultimately). We both won as DS, he got the tie-breaker. Turn 2 Executor is pretty rough for Jedi/Smuggler,=)

<snip>

If you think you're going to be seeing sleuth scouts, make sure you make your opening decisions accordingly. Your goal turn-1 should be playing 2 or more small units, not one big unit. My ideal opening is double royal guard (though royal guard + trandoshan hunter is pretty close). If you see rebel or smuggler affiliation, you should probably mulligan any opening hand that doesn't have at least 2 units you can play turn 1.

I agree with this 100%. I rarely play a turn 1 big guy if I can avoid it, and will always mulligan if I can't play 2 guys turn 1, including against Jedi. You need board position early on, and having 2+ guys make much more impact than 1 big guy in almost every case. Even Luke/Home 1 etc can be handled by a 2 gun guy with a heat/choke/etc, you don't need to force out the big guns early on. Look to play those turn 2 on based on how the game is going, since ususally by then you have a Sith Library/other resource to make the cost not as big of a problem.

I actually like Serve the Emperor as an option. Force Push can be huge against Sleuth Scouts and the Prophets can make good chump blockers. The Anzati can attack and lock down dudes too.

Heat of Battle and things with 2 guns are your best friends.

With both in tandem you can tag Blockade Runners, or lose the edge and still kill a Sleuth. Adviser to the Emp. are also strong pieces.

Like everybody's said, your first priority is getting out some weenies to block with. Then, if at all possible you want to drop the Emperor turn 2. Attack with him on your turns to bury the sleuths under a mountain of tactics. He'll usually be going unopposed since sleuth decks tend to go all-in on offense, so this will have the added bonus of speeding up your dial progression pretty substantially. With this ground work laid, you can field Executor as your big finisher and use sacrifice effects to shoot down the sleuths or kill an objective for the win, depending on how well you've done on that front so far.

Sleuths are tricky, but they're never commtied to the force. That means they're vulnerable to Shock Wave, which can wipe away a lot of the tricky attackers.Coupling this with Vader's reaction can wipe one out each turn. Not ideal, but possible. It also leaves your entire spread of units free to attack/defend elsewhere. Tactics icons are also your best friend.

Heh, well when the new force pack comes out check out Force Storm.

I see a lot of dead sleuth scouts in the future.

Force Storm will be useful, though expensive. We'll have to hope that the rest of the set can pull its weight.

It also hits your units, but if it wipes out 2 turn one sleuth scouts I say it's a winner.

Force Storm + Holocron FTW.

Wow these are very good points, and Force Storm look terrible, good terrible, wow.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll giving all these options a shot during playtesting this week. :)

Just for reference as the DS, if you see any bit of yellow in the opponents deck (affiliation or an objective) play as many 2 drop units on your first turn as possible. I've seen a few decks that may flip objectives appearing to not be unblockables. (Trust Me/ Wookie Life Debt/Asteroid Sanctuary). If you spend your resources dropping that first turn Vader you could have 2-3 sleuths hitting you for 2-3 damage each.

Basically, a royal guard adviser and stormtrooper can hold off your super friends opponents just as well as that first turn Vader, only they don't risk a sleuthy attack.

In my admittedly very limited experience, it's nice to have stuff like the Emperor's Guard. More than that I can't really say. Good luck!