New Background Package: Penal Legionnaire.

By PM102, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Hey, I am looking for some feedback. It should be noted that this is the first draft, so it may well be very unbalanced. But anyway, here it is:

BACKGROUND PACKAGE: Penal Legionnaire

Many prisoners see the only way off the planet, to contribute to the security of the Imperium, and to join the Imperial Guard in a Penal Legion. These vast regiments go to the most dangerous theatres of war, in an attempt to wash their sins away in blood.

Some of the most successful troopers, (or the most devious) come to the attention of the Inquisition, and, their paths changed forever, enter into a band of acolytes. Even then, their freedom is not guaranteed, for they keep the explosive collar attached to their neck, a constant reminder of their past.

In order to take this background package, you must select guardsman as your career, and select the ‘explosive collar’ from your starting equipment. This may be removed at a later date, however.

Modify your statistics by the following: -3 Int +3 Str
Gain the talents: Peer (Underworld)
Gain the skill: Common Lore (Underworld)
Gain 1d5 Corruption Points.

Thoughts, comments, criticism, and hideous mistake corrections all welcome gui%C3%B1o.gif

What is your cost in XP?

Mistake number one found...

Not sure actually. I think 200 should suffice.

100xp should be enough.

Though why would these people have had contact with the warp, the corruption points should be Insanity Point for the horrible debase things they have witnessed.

Though I would open it up for Scum too.

It is not like an Explosive Collar is something to be proud of, neither is it a usefull piece of equipment, it is a piece of equipment I love handing out to my players and their characters...around their neck...

Hurrah for explosive collars!

That is all.

Why the changes in attribute?

Is a convicted criminal by definition "more dumb" then an average soldier?
Is a soon-to-be soldier which was trialed for whatever crime (let us say: forgery) by definition stronger then one from less-criminal stock?

The corruption points seem a little out-of-place for me, too.

My two cents:

Just keep the added Skills, charge 200 XP (that´s what a scum would have to pay for it) and add a trait that any social reaction/social interaction with non-criminals ist one-step worse (if they can see the collar)

Is a convicted criminal by definition "more dumb" then an average soldier?
Is a soon-to-be soldier which was trialed for whatever crime (let us say: forgery) by definition stronger then one from less-criminal stock?

They're almost by definition fed more combat drugs than average soldiers.

My 2 cents:

Modify your statistics by the following: -3 Int +3 Str
Gain the talents: Peer (Underworld)
Gain the skill: Common Lore (Underworld)
Gain 1d5 Insanity Points

I like the look of this background package, very interesting.

I was thinking though...should the character not be automatically in the Outcast income class, whether starting as a scum or Imperial Guard character? An ex-con wouldn't be given a set wage.

The only thing I could see added as an option would be a poor quality injector rig with 1d5 doses of a combat drug.

As far as income, would they even receive any or would they be wholly reliant on their Inquisitor?

If you consider the combat drug injector option, I'd go with 'slaught as the drug, since that's what penal legionaires are traditionally given.

If you consider the combat drug injector option, I'd go with 'slaught as the drug, since that's what penal legionaires are traditionally given.

More or less... equally traditional are Frenzon and Halo (though that is just... odd...), with Kick and Ghostfire Pollen Extract not far behind.

Cifer said:

More or less... equally traditional are Frenzon and Halo (though that is just... odd...), with Kick and Ghostfire Pollen Extract not far behind.

There are some Eratta concerning Halo, while it reduces WP it increases wilpower against fear checks..

Frenzons the absolute classic. Give them 2 doses that them or inquisitor can inject. It would cost xp though and reduce their income to the same as Scum. If you are nailing them with that i'd say it's only worth 100xp.

Edit, of you were going to cripple them with the income it's probably worth removing the negative int. They are probably more likely to be a devious git as penal legionnaire than a volunteer or conscript.

There are some Eratta concerning Halo, while it reduces WP it increases wilpower against fear checks..

Ok, that makes some sense. According to my errata, it reduces perception and gives a +10 to checks against fear and pinning. Sounds good.

I think the 1d5 Corruption points should remain as is, for a few reasons.

-Not all corruption is based on contact with warp entities. Some mutation is caused by exposure to industrial pollution, for example

-In PTU, if a character kills an NPC in cold blood at one point in the adventure, they are awarded a single corruption point, which has nothing to do with Chaos, just the debasement of the perpatrator.

Just to let you know I haven't just left this... just been really busy. I have already made a few corrections thanks, I will make a more detailed response tomorrow if I am lucky.

Shad said:

-In PTU, if a character kills an NPC in cold blood at one point in the adventure, they are awarded a single corruption point, which has nothing to do with Chaos, just the debasement of the perpatrator.

I give 1d5 occasionally, as a player dismembered a harmless NPC... And then used another as bait...

This should be insanity, corruption can only be gained through contact with the warp.

If Scum can't get Peer (Underworld) and Common Lore (Underworld) until Rank 2 (I think), I don't think these guys should get it to start out. Being a Penal Legionnaire doesn't mean that you are necessarily a hardened, experienced criminal. Maybe you just shot your wife/husband.

bogi_khaosa said:

If Scum can't get Peer (Underworld) and Common Lore (Underworld) until Rank 2 (I think), I don't think these guys should get it to start out. Being a Penal Legionnaire doesn't mean that you are necessarily a hardened, experienced criminal. Maybe you just shot your wife/husband.

But it does mean that you are in a legion of other criminals, many of whom are hardened career criminals. A scummer after all doesn't need to have been in contact with organised criminal groups and they almost certainly haven't been in prison.

Peer (Underworld) may be a bit much though but I can see where fighting together is going get some favours owed.