When things go wrong...

By cailus2, in Black Crusade

A funny sequence of events occurred that I simply must share.

The heretics had just initiated a Compact at Surgub, Q'sal and transported back to their own orbiting spaceship so that they could travel to Belphagion. However as they attempted to start up the void engines of their ship there was no response from the crew. The heretics, consisting of a Bloodpact veteran, a pseudo pig daemon sorcerer, a tech-heretek and his utility servitor, investigated the matter and found mutilated bodies of the crew. At the centre of the slaughter was Meduson, a former ally of theirs that was not too happy that the heretics recently aided in the downfall of his people city (Talnor).

Combat ensued against Meduson, a powerful Talnor sorcerer, however he started to Push when casting Doombolt. At one time, Meduson made two Perils of the War occur; Vice Versa and the summoning of an angry Bloodletter.

The Vice Versa peril randomly switches Meduson's mind with another entity nearby. As the GM, I rolled to determine whose body would be targeted and what do I get? The Servitor!

So the lobotomised mind of the servitor controls the Sorcerer's body and so does very little apart from so drooling and uttering error codes ("00110111"), whilst Meduson's mind is automatically lobotomised being within the servitor and also can do very little except utter pitiful screams of terror. The hereteks don't realise the swapping of souls and but see Meduson's body in a weak stage, so they press their attack, killing him. About the same time, the Bloodletter notices the switch in souls and smashes the servitor into bits before the minds swap back. The daemon then vanished back into the Immaterium.

So the heretics got lucky*, except for the loss of a servitor! Thinking back, it would have been very interesting if the daemon and Meduson had swapped minds o_O

*Well, not really. In a classic villain cliche, the heretics realise that Meduson had engaged the warp drive beforehand and that the ship would re-materialise into the system's spun. They attempted to override this (they had literally 5 minutes to figure out a match stick puzzle, simulating the override process). The heretek attempted to delay the countdown with a Tech a Use skill and needed 95 or less. He rolled 97! The time creeped by and failing the puzzle, they just have enough time to make it into the escape pods. The ship is destroyed, along with a mass of crew and slaves!

Match stick puzzle?

Please elaborate.

BYE

To keep things a bit fresh, i.e. outside of the usual "pass this test followed by this test", I on occasion require players to do literal puzzles. Match stick puzzles for example involve say turning 7 squares into 5 squares using only 3 match stick moves (see here ).

I tried it once and the players liked it so include such things from time to time.

Ah, nice. Interesting idea.

BYE