New to Dark Heresy and our group has a few questions

By Kilcannon, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

After playing two sessions our group has a few questions that we either couldn't find in the game or were missing (not sure).

1. Can you target someone you can't see, but know is there with ranged weapons? Is it a modifier and are we just missing it?

2. Do you need line of sight for Psychic powers? We were discussing and some of us thought you would need it for ranged attacks like some of the Pyromancy and Biomancy powers. However do you need Line of Sight for powers like the minor power Inflict Pain?

3. We are a group who likes to use a battlemap to draw out the maps from premade adventures or our own. We couldn't seem to find how much each square is considered for movement? We thought it was either 1meter/square or 1.5meters/square.

4. What exactly happens when you starve? Do you begin getting fatigued and how fast does it happen? I know a Toughness test would be involved, but would it be fair to say every 4 or 8 hours you have to make a toughness roll or become fatigued one level? Would it also be fair to say that the first test is normal and each one every 4 or 8 hours gets more difficult?

5. One of our Psykers got a Perils of the warp that caused all Psyker powers for 1d5 rounds to automatically cause additional perils of the warp. The question came up if sustatining a psychic power would count in regards to this. Some of us said that it would only count when you have to make the new reroll after 10 rounds. Some of us said it wouldn't count at all because it isn't activating a power and sustaining never causes perils of the warp. If you could help decide our debate?

6. When you choose Psy Rating 3 and get a power in one discipline do you get any minor powers? Also when you get Psy Rating 4 you get major powers equal to half your WP bonus and minor powers equal to half your WP bonus or you get a new power in a new discipline. If you choose the new power in a new discipline at Psy Rating 4,5, or 6 do you get any minor powers or do you only get one new discipline power? Would it be too much to house rule the minor powers come with a new discipline if that is the case?

Again if anyone could help with answering some of these questions we would appreciate it. The reason we put them together is because we thought it wasould be easier for others to answer one thread then 6.

1. As long as you know they are behind the cover and you have a weapon capable of penetrating the cover, a bolt gun does quite nicely, then yes. Penalties would be up to the GM. If you are going to add penalties I would base them more on what type/amount of cover more than just being in cover, you are already adding armor to the target.

2.I think depends on the individual power and how nice the GM wants to be. Obviously some powers would require it just from their description.

3. Each square = 1 meter, unless you want to up the scale for a very large encounter on a wide open battle field. On a larger scale all of a sudden Las weapons start looking a lot better.

4. I would use days not hours. Starvation takes a long time. If water is not available, then move the penalties up faster maybe every 12 hours or so.

5. If you want to be. . .

Nice = sustained powers would not be affected.

Not so nice = make everyone sustaining a power roll WP, if they fail they must roll on the perils table. Power is still sustained

Mean = all sustained powers automatically cause perils test adding the offending Psykers WP bonus to the roll on the perils chart.

6. Generally adding more spells to a casters list isn't that big of a deal. That said, depending on how much of a min/maxer you player is it can be problematic.

Kilcannon said:

After playing two sessions our group has a few questions that we either couldn't find in the game or were missing (not sure).

1. Can you target someone you can't see, but know is there with ranged weapons? Is it a modifier and are we just missing it?

2. Do you need line of sight for Psychic powers? We were discussing and some of us thought you would need it for ranged attacks like some of the Pyromancy and Biomancy powers. However do you need Line of Sight for powers like the minor power Inflict Pain?

3. We are a group who likes to use a battlemap to draw out the maps from premade adventures or our own. We couldn't seem to find how much each square is considered for movement? We thought it was either 1meter/square or 1.5meters/square.

4. What exactly happens when you starve? Do you begin getting fatigued and how fast does it happen? I know a Toughness test would be involved, but would it be fair to say every 4 or 8 hours you have to make a toughness roll or become fatigued one level? Would it also be fair to say that the first test is normal and each one every 4 or 8 hours gets more difficult?

5. One of our Psykers got a Perils of the warp that caused all Psyker powers for 1d5 rounds to automatically cause additional perils of the warp. The question came up if sustatining a psychic power would count in regards to this. Some of us said that it would only count when you have to make the new reroll after 10 rounds. Some of us said it wouldn't count at all because it isn't activating a power and sustaining never causes perils of the warp. If you could help decide our debate?

6. When you choose Psy Rating 3 and get a power in one discipline do you get any minor powers? Also when you get Psy Rating 4 you get major powers equal to half your WP bonus and minor powers equal to half your WP bonus or you get a new power in a new discipline. If you choose the new power in a new discipline at Psy Rating 4,5, or 6 do you get any minor powers or do you only get one new discipline power? Would it be too much to house rule the minor powers come with a new discipline if that is the case?

Again if anyone could help with answering some of these questions we would appreciate it. The reason we put them together is because we thought it wasould be easier for others to answer one thread then 6.

1. I agree with the last poster regarding this.

2. It depends on your GM. My GM makes me have line of sight for any power that doesn't specify.

3. 1 inch = 1 meter.

4. I would say that sounds about right.

5. That's a nasty one for a perils of the warp. I play a psyker in my group and would have to say that the power is being sustained and the psyker is still actively using that psychic power, even if he/she is not making power rolls. Why else would a psyker take a accumulated -4 power roll penalty every time a psyker tries to manifest a new power. It's because he/she is keeping those powers active.

6. Whenever you choose a new PSY rating you get minor powers = to half your Will power bonus round up. You get major PP = to half you WPB if you only continue to select powers from the same major discipline.

Ex. So say I choose psy rating 3 and select Biomancy as my new Major PP discipline. When I get to choose Psy rating 4 I could either select more PP from Biomancy or select another discipline and only get one Major PP from that discipline.

Does this help?

1. I would allow the shooter to attempt to target someone they couldn't see. However, I would impose a strong penalty, say a -30, in addition to any other modifiers (like range, etc). That just assumes the shot would hit in the correct location, the round would still need to be able to penetrate any intervening material. Some weapons, like grenade launchers, however, say they can fire indirectly. I would allow these weapons to fire with little to no penalty.

2. I'd agree with the first answer. LOS unless the power says otherwise.

3. We play 1m, with a movement cost of 2 every other diagonal traversed.

4. I would give a character 24 hours before even worrying about starvation and fatigue. Just off the top of my head, I'd then suggest something like a T roll every 18-24 hours or gain a fatigue level. People can go quite a while without food, it's water that is the fast killer. Assuming a normal T is in the 30's, that means they can only fail 3 tests before they go unconscious, which would approximate to 4 days without food if they are unlucky and fail all 3 rolls. You could also implement a cumulative penalty, say -5% each time they roll (after the first), which would increase the odds and prevent an extremely high T (and/or lucky) character from going too long passing T tests and practically never starving. Just ideas off the top of my head, but I think your suggestion is a bit too drastic.

5. I would need to look at the specific wording on that event. My thought is that anything where there is a possibility for a Perils to be rolled, there is an additional Perils event applied. Thus, sustaining powers, which do not normally have a chance to cause a Perils still do not, but any new invocations will. I recommend reading the text for this closely and see if it gives any clues (I don't have my book here to check myself)

6. As the first answer says, I believe.