Rules clarification for end of Activation Phase

By wiles01, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Have a discussion on the BGG boards regarding a conflict in the rules about when the Activation Phase ends.

Page 7 reads:

Players repeat steps of the activation phase until all disks on the battlefield are either pinned or activated, or each player has no more command cards left to play. When this occurs, proceed to the melee phase.

Page 18 reads under Command Cards:

A player must play a command card, if able, even if all of his disks are activated or pinned.

A player does not have to reinforce disks from his reserve when resolving a command card if all of his other disks are activated and pinned.

So my take on this is that page 7 rules were meant only for the demo introduction game, which had no units still in reserve, so there was no reason to continue playing command cards as there was nothing left to activate once everything was pinned or activated on the battlefield.

The page 18 rules are for the actual regular gameplay where reserves might need to be placed out.

Can we get a ruling on this?

Edited by wiles01

Just to complete the picture:

In addition Page 3 says :

Rules and clarifications that are only used during the learning scenario
are marked with a * icon.

And the quote from page 7 has no *.

(But that just might be an omission, although i do not think so.)

Yes, got a ruling from FFG.

The rule on page 3 overrules the rule on page 18.

"Thanks for the question. The rule on page 18 says "if able." Neither player is able to play a command card if all disks are pinned and/or activated. However, if all of one player's disks are pinned and/or activated, and another player's disks are not, both players must play command cards. Hope that helps..."

So now we know.

it has meaning when all of your disks are activated bit your opponent have not, so you can still play cards and tale avantage of The ability ( e.g.: Nurgle's rot). this can even sometimes makes The difference beetween Victor or failure!

Ok- so-I am not sure I am going to like the answer to this question but here goes.

If all have been activated on both sides, BUT I have a command card that would let me reactivate one unit, does the activation end with that life saving card still in my hand? Or do they really mean AND when they say OR (I know....read the words....)

BUT- if my opponent has not activated all of his units, I can still use it?

Also if you have disks in reserve do you have to play a command card to activate them or can you opt not to do that and bring them out later?

According to what the rulesmeister at FFG said, No.

If all disks on the field and pinned or activated, you immediately move to the melee phase.

So you can't activate any reserves you have held back and you cannot play a card that would reactivate a previously activated disk.

Thank you

Edit: apparently I can't read, see it above thanks

Edited by wyrm187